Kerosene heaters?

Sega Saturn**

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just got a convection style one a few days ago and love it! Why doesn't everyone use these? It's super cheap if you use clean diesel with a little alcohol mixed in instead of Kerosene and heats a whole room up in minutes. I understand CO poisoning risks but like any other souce of heat that requires gas or burning something just use common sense and crack a window open. You can even get an alarm/monitor for $20 these days.

I'm just curious why nobody in the US seems to use these anymore. I love mine!

Just got a convection style one a few days ago and love it! Why doesn't everyone use these? It's super cheap if you use clean diesel with a little alcohol mixed in instead of Kerosene and heats a whole room up in minutes. I understand CO poisoning risks but like any other souce of heat that requires gas or burning something just use common sense and crack a window open. You can even get an alarm/monitor for $20 these days.

Because we have natural gas heating...?

Apparently you dont understand co poisoning risks

use heating oil here in the NE. same thing except exhaust is vented.
startup and shutdown is where most of the stink comes from with kerosene heaters. do both outside

because there are better options?

Just use common sense and crack a window.........that made my day

You know...everything other than crack a window pretty much falls under the whole common sense thing. Kerosene heaters produce much less CO than a fireplace or wood stove and tons of people use them.

I can put my CO monitor next to my heater in a room with no ventilation for an hour and the CO levels stay at 0. If I put it in my garage and start my car the alarms goes crazy.

You know...everything other than crack a window pretty much falls under the whole common sense thing. Kerosene heaters produce much less CO than a fireplace or wood stove and tons of people use them.

I can put my CO monitor next to my heater in a room with no ventilation for an hour and the CO levels stay at 0. If I put it in my garage and start my car the alarms goes crazy.

Yeah but the CO from a fireplace or wood stove go right up the chimney. Not the case with a kerosene heater.

I gotta be honest I didn't know they still sold Kerosene heaters. I remember hearing about the dangers of those things back in he early 80's.

They were a staple of my childhood. I still have the old one we had as a kid......things has got to be 35 years old or so. I fired it up last year with the idea of heating garage up since I was out there doing some work , then I remembered howmuch they stink.

Do you also live in a cave?

We used one when I was a kid and an ice storm took out power for a week. I still remember the horrible smell. I'm probably brain damaged for life because of it.

A fireplace is still probably the safest if you are trying not to heat with electricity.

woodstove FTW

This.

Last year I finished converting my garage to living space. I put an archway in where the door from the living room to the garage was, about 7 feet in width.

I have a mini-split ductless heating/cooling system in my house, and instead of putting a new unit in the garage I opted to put a wood-burning stove in instead. Saved me quite a bit of money doing it that way.

I fucking LOVE it!

In the fall it gets hot enough to heat the entire new room it was put in plus my living room and kitchen. We lose power at least once every winter, so I'm looking forward to having it when we inevitably lose power this year.

This.

Last year I finished converting my garage to living space. I put an archway in where the door from the living room to the garage was, about 7 feet in width.

I have a mini-split ductless heating/cooling system in my house, and instead of putting a new unit in the garage I opted to put a wood-burning stove in instead. Saved me quite a bit of money doing it that way.

I fucking LOVE it!

In the fall it gets hot enough to heat the entire new room it was put in plus my living room and kitchen. We lose power at least once every winter, so I'm looking forward to having it when we inevitably lose power this year.

Wood heat is the only heat I used growing up. My Dad and I used to cut, split, and pile 30 cord every year (he still does).

Wood heat is the only heat I used growing up. My Dad and I used to cut, split, and pile 30 cord every year (he still does).

That's awesome!

My family's hunting cabin is wood heat only. So I grew up having to cut, split, haul, and stack wood every summer to stockpile for the winter hunting trips or whenever we vacationed up there.

This past spring/summer/fall I went around my town gathering logs and stuff from people who had trees cut down. Towards the end of fall me and my 14-year-old son spent a whole weekend splitting and stacking. It's a great workout, and great character builder for my teenage son.

I have a fire pit in my backyard, so I have enough seasoned wood leftover for this winter. But having the unseasoned wood for next year is peace of mind. My goal is to always have a winter's worth of wood stockpiled while gathering fresh wood to let season.

Shhh, let natural selection run its course.

You'll be saying that when you freeze to death. In Japan kerosene heaters are the number one source of indoor heat. If they are so dangerous than why do Asians love them?

Back