Kattar Absorbed 445 Significant Strikes Today

there are people who can take "significant" strikes (mayorga in boxing, mark hunt)
Mark Hunt wouldn't take 445 of what I consider significant strikes from a heavyweight opponent who is considered a talented striker as Max is in his weight. Guess that's my point. Significant strike is such a dumb term and I hate the way they are calculated.

No "significant strike" should ironically be, quite insignificant

Kattar is tough as they come. I mean 27 fights and never been stopped with strikes is something quite impressive. Carlos Condit-esque durability.

Maybe those strikes weren't THAT significant huh.

Kattar is too tough for his own good. As tough as his corner was stupid for letting him get a pantheon level ass whooping for those last six to eight minutes. It really proved nothing.

Yeah, I mean at the end of the day, whether Kattar wanted to continue or not (which he clearly did) the corner has to do a realistic assessment and consider whether the damage is worth it when you know that literally the only chance you have at securing that victory is a hail Mary haymaker in those final ten minutes.

Kattar is probably game enough that he suspected he could still pull that off, but, in hindsight, he took a savage number of shots to the head and body that could have been avoided had the corner interceded. One thing I would speculate is that- in any of those exchanges where Max was battering him on the cage, had Calvin not returned fire (which he would do even after getting badly clipped) or dropped even to a knee, Dean would have ended it.

that fight was nasty dogfiht, we all should adore kattars chin and heart

I think too much is being made of Holloway's ability to throw punches

How about the ability to absorb punches ?

I haven't seen the breakdown on head and gut punches but you have to think conservatively that 2/3 was to the head which is nearly 300 blows

Holloway isn't a hard hitter but hits hard enough where getting hit 300 times has to hurt

How is he talking and eating like a normal human being after a beating like that ? I think most would need a straw. Kattar should take the year off
Fortunately for Kattar, this was first fight we saw him take significant damage ( me thinks) and the wires didnt short out so a year might a bit ambitious but definitely timeline/ opponent should be an issue going forward.

Yeah, I mean at the end of the day, whether Kattar wanted to continue or not (which he clearly did) the corner has to do a realistic assessment and consider whether the damage is worth it when you know that literally the only chance you have at securing that victory is a hail Mary haymaker in those final ten minutes.

Kattar is probably game enough that he suspected he could still pull that off, but, in hindsight, he took a savage number of shots to the head and body that could have been avoided had the corner interceded. One thing I would speculate is that- in any of those exchanges where Max was battering him on the cage, had Calvin not returned fire (which he would do even after getting badly clipped) or dropped even to a knee, Dean would have ended it.

It seemed pretty obvious that he was too exhausted to catch Max. And it isn't like Holloway has a bad chin or suspect cardio that might even the odds out.

With in fight betting, what do you think Kattar's odds would have been after the 3rd? +2000? +3000?

Dana White will be brushing off questions about this guy at the UFC500 press conference in 20yrs time
"Kid did well but now now he has to eat through a straw. It's part of the gig."

It seemed pretty obvious that he was too exhausted to catch Max. And it isn't like Holloway has a bad chin or suspect cardio that might even the odds out.

With in fight betting, what do you think Kattar's odds would have been after the 3rd? +2000? +3000?

Oh yeah. Completely agree with you.

Not a good look after Spencer Fisher's interview recently.

Honestly reading that changed my whole perspective on the sport, obviously I know about CTE after reading about Gary Goodridge, Aaron Hernandez and others, but that was a heartbreaking read.

Now I'm often wondering what guys like Reem, Arlovski, Hunto, Chuck and others are going to be like 15-20 years from now.
The famous Spencer Fisher interview, mentioned but never linked

As @giovanni_ss said hopefully he takes a good long period time off to let his brain and ego recover from this beating, enough time to actually grow as a fighter and level up his game. He was clearly not ready to take a fight with a championship caliber opponent. He definitely needs to work on his defense and getting his reads faster, making the adjustments and turning on earlier into his fights. Being a slow starter is one thing, it seems like Kattar is absorbing excess damage to get his timing down, gives up a round or two, thus unnecessarily prolonging the fight. Definitely not a good way to have an extended career, not to mention brain health.

Reactions: Gio
Calvin made Max look good to be honest. Max can’t do that to championship level fighters

Not a good look after Spencer Fisher's interview recently.

Honestly reading that changed my whole perspective on the sport, obviously I know about CTE after reading about Gary Goodridge, Aaron Hernandez and others, but that was a heartbreaking read.

Now I'm often wondering what guys like Reem, Arlovski, Hunto, Chuck and others are going to be like 15-20 years from now.

This has already been discused, Reem usually gets knockouted clean, the problem are repeated shots to the head.

Back