Kattar Absorbed 445 Significant Strikes Today

kattar was not prepared to fight max, he was too slow, didnt have the timing and speed. his team failed him in prep. aldo did better, and volk smoked max twice.

I think too much is being made of Holloway's ability to throw punches

How about the ability to absorb punches ?

I haven't seen the breakdown on head and gut punches but you have to think conservatively that 2/3 was to the head which is nearly 300 blows

Holloway isn't a hard hitter but hits hard enough where getting hit 300 times has to hurt

How is he talking and eating like a normal human being after a beating like that ? I think most would need a straw. Kattar should take the year off

Disclaimer: I have hometown bias as Kattar is a local guy but that dude is tough as nails. Theres a lot of fighters I've seen at regional events (Cage Titans, CES, etc) who are as tough as they come. Massholes are a different breed. Tough, full of heart and refuse to quit.

For those who are saying that the strikes must not have been very significant, I think the concern is the accumulated brain damage. The argument for MMA being safer than boxing was that without the heavier gloves, people will just go to sleep instead of accumulating punches, which is what was believed to cause said damage. In this fight, Max likely sacrificed force to increase his output (see my rationale below), which means he landed more strikes with less force. Look at this as if Max were wearing boxing gloves and smacked Calvin 500 times; that's a lot of head trauma over 25 minutes instead of him just going to sleep, and very well could have knocked a year or two off his mental cognition.

It's interesting to play with the formula, which of course can be simplified as F (force) = M (mass) * A (acceleration). The mass describes the weight of the fist (not as much at FW) plus any weight from the arms, shoulders, core, and even legs that you can focus into the strike. The acceleration describes the (change in) speed of the strikes, and the force is the product of these two values. Max was striking very fast, but not with enough force to finish Calvin, which implies he may not have been putting much into his strikes even though there were a lot of them. (Contrast this with someone like Shane Carwin whose fists weigh 2-3x more to begin with and who has more weight to put into those strikes and you'll understand why most of his fights ended in the first round.)

Let's not ignore Calvin's heart and willingness to stay awake in that fight, because to his credit he took a LOT of damage. I've never watched a fight and been as aware of someone getting brain damage as I did watching that fight.

The famous Spencer Fisher interview, mentioned but never linked

I mean if you follow the sport it's pretty famous, why don't you just do a quick google search for it you lazy see you next tuesday.

This has already been discused, Reem usually gets knockouted clean, the problem are repeated shots to the head.

Yes I'm aware of this, still he's had a loooong career in MMA as well as kickboxing bouts, and at the divisions with the heaviest hitters, plus there's the years and years of sparring we don't have any real insight to.

must not have been that significant then
This is a correct point to make.

UFC’s data provider now count pretty much every hit as a significant strike (including jabs)

It’s a bit farcical and that’s why the records keep getting broken.

Mark Hunt wouldn't take 445 of what I consider significant strikes from a heavyweight opponent who is considered a talented striker as Max is in his weight. Guess that's my point. Significant strike is such a dumb term and I hate the way they are calculated.

No "significant strike" should ironically be, quite insignificant
not all signifcant was in the head, you can see kattar wilting on the body strikes MULTIPLE TIMES

Back