Karate to MMA eg....

Good points. What's the lesson to be learned in all of this?

Don't limit yourself!

Train in Martial Arts and don't be so close-minded. Don't focus on styles focus on being a Multi-Dimensional fighter who uses techniques that suit you.

As Bruce Lee said:

"The best fighter is not a Boxer, Karate or Judo man. The best fighter is someone who can adapt on any style. He kicks too good for a Boxer, throws too good for a Karate man, and punches too good for a Judo man."

bruce also said :

"All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns."

"A martial artist who drills exclusively to a set pattern of combat is losing his freedom. He is actually becoming a slave to a choice pattern and feels that the pattern is the real thing. It leads to stagnation because the way of combat is never based on personal choice and fancies, but constantly changes from moment to moment, and the disappointed combatant will soon find out that his "choice routine" lacks pliability. There must be a "being" instead of a "doing" in training. One must be free. Instead of complexity of form, there should be simplicity of expression."

"Some martial arts are very popular, real crowd pleasers, because they look good, have smooth techniques. But beware. They are like a wine that has been watered. A diluted wine is not a real wine, not a good wine, hardly the genuine article. Some martial arts don't look so good, but you know that they have a kick, a tang, a genuine taste. They are like olives. The taste may be strong and bittersweet. The flavor lasts. You cultivate a taste for them. No one ever developed a taste for diluted wine."

dude KK was founded in the 1960's by Mas oyama. Daido juku is an offshot of that. It was "created" by Azuma in 1980; how the fuck is it a TMA? Muay thai isn't a tma but Daido Juku is? Gracie jiu jitsu isn't a tma but Daido juku is? Let's face it. Daido juko is a modern martial art.

Ok, I already know that, why are you saying it to me?

bruce also said :

"All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns."

"A martial artist who drills exclusively to a set pattern of combat is losing his freedom. He is actually becoming a slave to a choice pattern and feels that the pattern is the real thing. It leads to stagnation because the way of combat is never based on personal choice and fancies, but constantly changes from moment to moment, and the disappointed combatant will soon find out that his "choice routine" lacks pliability. There must be a "being" instead of a "doing" in training. One must be free. Instead of complexity of form, there should be simplicity of expression."

"Some martial arts are very popular, real crowd pleasers, because they look good, have smooth techniques. But beware. They are like a wine that has been watered. A diluted wine is not a real wine, not a good wine, hardly the genuine article. Some martial arts don't look so good, but you know that they have a kick, a tang, a genuine taste. They are like olives. The taste may be strong and bittersweet. The flavor lasts. You cultivate a taste for them. No one ever developed a taste for diluted wine."

Those are also good quotes.

Ah..the good times, near 7 years ago... me, sanshou, ko kid, evil eye gouger, kyrillo and tim trying to argue the nuthugger how TMA had somethign to give in the mma world

i remeber some quotes from the sherdoggers

"tma= worthless" "tma will never work" "i can kick every tma fighter"

well, most of these guys are banned now...

trying to put mma in a box or formula it's just stupid; mma still has a lot to evolve

when most of the american spectators saw vale tudo in the 90's they didn't knew that tma has a strong influence in vale tudo here

that's why chute boxe has tkd influence, pele states how capoeira give him flexibility, and a karateca is kicking ass in the ufc

Old posters, do you remember?

in the 90's "oh kicking and punching it's worthless, this gracie guy showed us everything that we need to know"

then came ruas "ok...maybe some leg kicks are useful too"

then the formula became MT and BJJ "hey it's the best of stand up and the best of the ground, we don't need anything else..."

But against fighters with the "perfect formula" some wrestlers just kicked ass Kerr/couture and others

then the formula became bjj, mt, wrestling (and the funny thing, the mt guys were actually brazilians with a strong influence of tkd, or europeans with a strong influence in KK)

but suddenly a chubby russian demolished everyone with sambo/judo, an armenian tossed up people like ragdolls with judo, a karateca is undefeated in the ufc, a sanda ("that useless mt rip off!") guy is a champ, a grapler uses a wakigatami to break his oponent arm ( standing subs don't work!)...

people act like suddlent tma works, it always worked with good instructions according to it's goals, going to mma was just a time of adaptating

See this footage from 8 years ago---does somebody still think that the side kick is good just because of cung le?

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw2k673Y8mc

it's not style vs style, it's fighter vs fighter

the funny thing it's that we already have mma conservatives

if bjj fighters take wrestling techniques (like the twister) ; they are avolving they can even do a instructinal video about it and say it's bjj (and i think it's ok)

if a tma gets some groundwork ; they are ripping off

and even if a guy ith tma background wins, he won because of bjj even if he won by KO

Its about time somebody said something about this subject so articulately!!! Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside... :D

Ah..the good times, near 7 years ago... me, sanshou, ko kid, evil eye gouger, kyrillo and tim trying to argue the nuthugger how TMA had somethign to give in the mma world

i remeber some quotes from the sherdoggers

"tma= worthless" "tma will never work" "i can kick every tma fighter"

well, most of these guys are banned now...

trying to put mma in a box or formula it's just stupid; mma still has a lot to evolve

when most of the american spectators saw vale tudo in the 90's they didn't knew that tma has a strong influence in vale tudo here

that's why chute boxe has tkd influence, pele states how capoeira give him flexibility, and a karateca is kicking ass in the ufc

Old posters, do you remember?

in the 90's "oh kicking and punching it's worthless, this gracie guy showed us everything that we need to know"

then came ruas "ok...maybe some leg kicks are useful too"

then the formula became MT and BJJ "hey it's the best of stand up and the best of the ground, we don't need anything else..."

But against fighters with the "perfect formula" some wrestlers just kicked ass Kerr/couture and others

then the formula became bjj, mt, wrestling (and the funny thing, the mt guys were actually brazilians with a strong influence of tkd, or europeans with a strong influence in KK)

but suddenly a chubby russian demolished everyone with sambo/judo, an armenian tossed up people like ragdolls with judo, a karateca is undefeated in the ufc, a sanda ("that useless mt rip off!") guy is a champ, a grapler uses a wakigatami to break his oponent arm ( standing subs don't work!)...

people act like suddlent tma works, it always worked with good instructions according to it's goals, going to mma was just a time of adaptating

See this footage from 8 years ago---does somebody still think that the side kick is good just because of cung le?

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw2k673Y8mc

it's not style vs style, it's fighter vs fighter

the funny thing it's that we already have mma conservatives

if bjj fighters take wrestling techniques (like the twister) ; they are avolving they can even do a instructinal video about it and say it's bjj (and i think it's ok)

if a tma gets some groundwork ; they are ripping off

and even if a guy ith tma background wins, he won because of bjj even if he won by KO

Awsome post, excuse me for my ignorance, but who was the guy that broke an arm with a standing submission?

Northeastern. :D

But seriously though. I like the unique and dynamic fighters. You don't have to have a TMA background to be exciting you just have to be creative.

I like yer point on most of what you said but saying Thailand is Northeastern made me laugh a little china and Korea and Im not shure but I think Japan is farther north Thialand is by just west Vietnam and cambodia, south east of Burma. If any thing its one of the farthest south west countries considered eastern

I like Bruce as he is a pioneer. I think he took this aspect a little too far. You practice a jab a million times so you can throw it with expertise. He is blending the art aspect versus the applied. In a martial art (not a sport like MMA0, there needs to be rigorous adherence to the form or the tradition will suffer. However, traditional styles do fight. The attacks are generally not "sporty in nature" and generally very explosive. Dealing with that requires adaptability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawn_bogart
Back