Karate to MMA eg....

Wiseyoda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Now, im really sorry to butt in here but i will.. I just want to show you this style of Karate.

Im fresh of a nother thread trying to put across a point that a Karateka (THE RIGHT TYPE OF ONE) could make the change over to MMA. Im not saying that they could walk right into the MMA sceen, but im saying that with some fundamentles, they could build of it.. Enter,

Daido Juku Karate..

For those who doubt that a Karateka could make the MMA, i tent to squirm at those that throw it out there, i tend to lean back to GSP and Machida.. both well known for there Karate backgrounds..

So, i would like those doubters to take a few mins to check this style out. I am very fond of it, and i think its a great style and dynamic and as you will soon see, the change over could be made.

My main point was to show this clip, but i am also pointing out IMO the change over can be
made..

I have resisted the urge to put this in the K1 section, and placed it in standup which i think as a sherdogger i should be doing the correct things here.

Enjoy the clip..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01_kQd8pOus&feature=related

Some Kyokushin Organisations also started to train MMA beside karate, so it's just a matter of time until we see more karatekas in MMA

by the way, vid doesnt work

what's with the guy at 1:30 - he gets his opponent down, then starts imaginary curbstomping his face in

what's with the guy at 1:30 - he gets his opponent down, then starts imaginary curbstomping his face in

it's a rule in Daido Juku. groin kicks and head butts are allowed, but you are not supposed to do GnP, or kick a downed opponent. but i have seen videos of striking on the ground in daido juku matches...maybe the rules have changed.

with anything you need to ajust it to MMA, but muay thai would cover all of what they were doing

No kidding, I didnt think there was much Daido Juku outside Japan....

with anything you need to ajust it to MMA, but muay thai would cover all of what they were doing

armbars and hiptosses aswell?

Differnt approaches work for differnt people

some would like to start in a specific art (wrestling bjj or thai) and master that first and then go on to MMA

other start of in MMA and later seek out specific expert coaches

really? i didn't know muay thai has submissions. i didn't know muay thai has take down and take down defense. i didn't know nuthugging is a requirement of muay thai.

i don't know why people set limited belief when it comes to mma. Point Karate will never work!!! while Lyoto Machida is still undefeated. side kicks and fancy kicks will never work, yet cung le is 6-0 in mma, and just broke Frank Shamrock's arm last night. maybe it makes them feel better about themselves by claiming everything other than _____ or ______ is useless?

My coach has just got his blackbelt in Daido Juku, or Kudo as its now known, and will be putting on some shows in the UK soon with some kudo fights on. It's basically a style of MMA now, except the lack of ground and pound and its usually only 30 seconds allowed at a time on the ground. Its a good way to get introduced to MMA competition at an amateur level

My coach has just got his blackbelt in Daido Juku, or Kudo as its now known, and will be putting on some shows in the UK soon with some kudo fights on. It's basically a style of MMA now, except the lack of ground and pound and its usually only 30 seconds allowed at a time on the ground. Its a good way to get introduced to MMA competition at an amateur level

Yes, its a great base for the change over. What i like also, is it still holds tradition for the modern karateka.

IMHO Karate and other eastern style striking arts are the future of MMA standup for sure. Look at Cung, Machida, GSP as examples of what's to come. Its slowly starting to emerge, but in 10 years the best strikers will have a form of Karate as their base.

Ah..the good times, near 7 years ago... me, sanshou, ko kid, evil eye gouger, kyrillo and tim trying to argue the nuthugger how TMA had somethign to give in the mma world

i remeber some quotes from the sherdoggers

"tma= worthless" "tma will never work" "i can kick every tma fighter"

well, most of these guys are banned now...

trying to put mma in a box or formula it's just stupid; mma still has a lot to evolve

when most of the american spectators saw vale tudo in the 90's they didn't knew that tma has a strong influence in vale tudo here

that's why chute boxe has tkd influence, pele states how capoeira give him flexibility, and a karateca is kicking ass in the ufc

Old posters, do you remember?

in the 90's "oh kicking and punching it's worthless, this gracie guy showed us everything that we need to know"

then came ruas "ok...maybe some leg kicks are useful too"

then the formula became MT and BJJ "hey it's the best of stand up and the best of the ground, we don't need anything else..."

But against fighters with the "perfect formula" some wrestlers just kicked ass Kerr/couture and others

then the formula became bjj, mt, wrestling (and the funny thing, the mt guys were actually brazilians with a strong influence of tkd, or europeans with a strong influence in KK)

but suddenly a chubby russian demolished everyone with sambo/judo, an armenian tossed up people like ragdolls with judo, a karateca is undefeated in the ufc, a sanda ("that useless mt rip off!") guy is a champ, a grapler uses a wakigatami to break his oponent arm ( standing subs don't work!)...

people act like suddlent tma works, it always worked with good instructions according to it's goals, going to mma was just a time of adaptating

See this footage from 8 years ago---does somebody still think that the side kick is good just because of cung le?

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw2k673Y8mc

it's not style vs style, it's fighter vs fighter

the funny thing it's that we already have mma conservatives

if bjj fighters take wrestling techniques (like the twister) ; they are avolving they can even do a instructinal video about it and say it's bjj (and i think it's ok)

if a tma gets some groundwork ; they are ripping off

and even if a guy ith tma background wins, he won because of bjj even if he won by KO

Ah..the good times, near 7 years ago... me, sanshou, ko kid, evil eye gouger, kyrillo and tim trying to argue the nuthugger how TMA had somethign to give in the mma world

i remeber some quotes from the sherdoggers

"tma= worthless" "tma will never work" "i can kick every tma fighter"

well, most of these guys are banned now...

trying to put mma in a box or formula it's just stupid; mma still has a lot to evolve

when most of the american spectators saw vale tudo in the 90's they didn't knew that tma has a strong influence in vale tudo here

that's why chute boxe has tkd influence, pele states how capoeira give him flexibility, and a karateca is kicking ass in the ufc

Old posters, do you remember?

in the 90's "oh kicking and punching it's worthless, this gracie guy showed us everything that we need to know"

then came ruas "ok...maybe some leg kicks are useful too"

then the formula became MT and BJJ "hey it's the best of stand up and the best of the ground, we don't need anything else..."

But against fighters with the "perfect formula" some wrestlers just kicked ass Kerr/couture and others

then the formula became bjj, mt, wrestling (and the funny thing, the mt guys were actually brazilians with a strong influence of tkd, or europeans with a strong influence in KK)

but suddenly a chubby russian demolished everyone with sambo/judo, an armenian tossed up people like ragdolls with judo, a karateca is undefeated in the ufc, a sanda ("that useless mt rip off!") guy is a champ, a grapler uses a wakigatami to break his oponent arm ( standing subs don't work!)...

people act like suddlent tma works, it always worked with good instructions according to it's goals, going to mma was just a time of adaptating

See this footage from 8 years ago---does somebody still think that the side kick is good just because of cung le?

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw2k673Y8mc

it's not style vs style, it's fighter vs fighter

the funny thing it's that we already have mma conservatives

if bjj fighters take wrestling techniques (like the twister) ; they are avolving they can even do a instructinal video about it and say it's bjj (and i think it's ok)

if a tma gets some groundwork ; they are ripping off

and even if a guy ith tma background wins, he won because of bjj even if he won by KO

Great post!! People like to think their style is the best, its human nature. The trouble is when you start branching out and have many styles which is where we are now. No one style will ever be supreme, athletes need to choose the tools that work for them from each and there are more and more to choose from. What works depends on so many factors, and those who said things couldn't work in the past are looking very silly atm. Welcome to the Renaissance of MMA.

Back