Media Justin Gaethje Ranks His Top Lightweights: "Poirier, then it goes me... THEN it goes Oliveira"

He may or may not be right. He'd have better luck proving it if he fought more often.

Last edited:
I don’t see anything wrong with what he’s saying.

I’d favor him against anyone not named Dustin.

It's a bit hard to judge where Gaethje is at right now.

Lost to Khabib
Won against Ferguson - but Olive and Dariush did it way better
Cerrone is realistically 0:6
Barboza went down and is 2:4 and 22:10 overall (Great fighter though)
Vick retired 0:5
Lost to Poirier
Lost to Eddie
Went life and death with MJ

All that doesn't look good for him. I think he wins against Chandler though. He is in his prime and Wittman is a good coach.
Gaethje seems a bit uncoachable in terms of striking technique though.
He is training with Wittman for forever and others got way more technical with him in shorter time.

I like it.
Justin has back it up and dust chandler now because if he closer fight then Charles that's what people will see.

The two best guys Justin fought prior to his title shot BOTH knocked him out. Khabib beat him quicker and easier then most of Justin's peers.

Its worth noting people have to be self promoters in this sport but he comes off as delusional with this stuff.

Do Bronx fought Tony, who is Justin's best career win by a mile immediately after and he did it without getting dropped like a sack of potatoes in the first round.

JG has a punchers chance against top ranked opponents.

We are mad because Gaethje got beaten the worst of any Khabibs opponents whilst having some success. he sat out for a year and wanted an immediate title shot after getting dominated the worst out of all Khabibs top opponents. Conor had more success and defended the takedowns better than him. I love watching Gaethje fight, but he needed to be back out there racking up wins if he wanted another shot. His only relevant win now at LW is Tony. Cerrone, Vick and Barboza were the rest of his streak. They are good wins, but that got him his first shot. Go out and earn the second one. Even the Chandler fight shouldn't be close to earning either a shot against anyone. They both need another fight, as do the rest of the division by matching them.

You're admitting to having a bias here.

Because let's say what you're saying is true, it doesn't mean that he's not giving his honest opinion here.

Oliveira's best win is also Ferguson.
After Gaethje beat him.

... his second best win is knocking out Michael Chandler in under two rounds. His third best is probably Kevin Lee who he tapped, then tapping Miller, TKO'ing Lentz and Teymur (who was 5-0 in the UFC)

For his part, JG nearly got put out by sub .500 Michael Johnson in his debut, and the two best guys he fought knocked him out. Khabib just straight up ran through him faster and easier than virtually all his peers.

JG is 0-3 against elite fighters if we ignore Tony. Tony also dropped him like a sack of potatoes in the first round. In retrospect we can see a 37 year old Ferguson isn't the same guy and was aging out of the system.

Got a feeling Justin's ego is going to get him dropped in his next fight

... his second best win is knocking out Michael Chandler in under two rounds. His third best is probably Kevin Lee who he tapped, then tapping Miller, TKO'ing Lentz and Teymur (who was 5-0 in the UFC)

For his part, JG nearly got put out by sub .500 Michael Johnson in his debut, and the two best guys he fought knocked him out. Khabib just straight up ran through him faster and easier than virtually all his peers.

JG is 0-3 against elite fighters if we ignore Tony. Tony also dropped him like a sack of potatoes in the first round. In retrospect we can see a 37 year old Ferguson isn't the same guy and was aging out of the system.
So, now Lentz, Treymur, and Miller are better than MJ, Cerrone, and Barboza?

Why is Cerrone any less elite than Lee? The Lee that fought Oliveira had just loss to AI(who Cerrone beat) and Ferguson(who all of a sudden isn't elite)..

I root for Oliveira, but I think Gaethje might be right. Chandler really let Oliveira off the hook when he inexplicably decided to follow him to the ground. If Chandler made Oliveira stand after he hurt him, I suspect Oliveira would have relented.

Mfers quick to downrank my boy charles but when they had a chance for the belt they choked lol

Yeah, but that is because Khabib escalated his pace against Gaethje, precisely because of his punching and kicking power. Khabib knew Gaethje would gas, and also said Gaethje both punched and kicked harder than anyone The Eagle ever faced.

That's why he was such a hurry to gas him out. Khabib did not keep anywhere near that pace against either Poirier or Conor.

That said, I think Gaethje is vulnerable. Michael Chandler was able to beat Eddie Alvarez (submission), and only lost a decision on their second fight. Gaethje got KO'd by Alvarez.

Don't be surprised if Chandler knocks Gaethje out, who's kind of a slow starter, while Chandler is a superfast starter.

So, now Lentz, Treymur, and Miller are better than MJ, Cerrone, and Barboza?

Why is Cerrone any less elite than Lee? The Lee that fought Oliveira had just loss to AI(who Cerrone beat) and Ferguson(who all of a sudden isn't elite)..

MJ is a sub .500 fighter. His signature move is getting his ass kicked in UFC fights. Yes over the course of dozens of fights, more losses then wins, he came up top a few times. Literally the definition of punchers chance.

Cerrone and Barboza's records speak for themselves. Barboza would then move to featherweight to continue getting knocked out, Cerrone would go up then back down, getting knocked out.

What else is there to explain?

Chandler will be the key player, he will test those chins soon.

I didn't like Gaethje when he came into the UFC.
Then I liked him after he got humbled and started winning again.

But holy fuck. The guy has been insufferable since Khabib folded him up like a beach towel.

MJ is a sub .500 fighter. His signature move is getting his ass kicked in UFC fights. Yes over the course of dozens of fights, more losses then wins, he came up top a few times. Literally the definition of punchers chance.

Cerrone and Barboza's records speak for themselves. Barboza would then move to featherweight to continue getting knocked out, Cerrone would go up then back down, getting knocked out.

What else is there to explain?
You didn't answer how Lee is better than Cerrone or Ferguson.

You also talk down on Barboza while talking up Chandler. Chandlers only notable win in the last 5 years is a guy that Barboza absolutely annihilated. So, what makes Chandler so proven? Also, in the last 5 years, Chandler has only fought 3 top LWs and been starched by 2 of them. He also lost to some guy named Primus.
alhass-ali.gif

So, I guess he's a bum too.

So, lets see, Ferguson sucks, Cerrone sucks, Chandler sucks, Barboza sucks, Lee sucks, MJ sucks, Miller sucks, GTFOH with Lentz and Treymur(you don't see me bringing up fuckin' "9-1 in the UFC at the time" James Vick). Both Oliveira and Gaethje are bums.

If Gaethje dispatches chandler in less than 5 mins and 30 seconds and takes less damage than Oliveira I'll agree.

Back