1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Media Justin Gaethje Ranks His Top Lightweights: "Poirier, then it goes me... THEN it goes Oliveira"

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by svmr_db, Oct 11, 2021.

1. SamuraiBro Yellow Belt

Man the closer the fight gets the more I think chandler is going to take it.

2. rjmbrd Gold Belt

Cerrone and Barboza's records speak for themselves. It doesn't require further illustration.

Do Bronx is champion and JG is a top 10 ranked opponent. I don't believe in writing this stuff up in superlatives.

The fact of the matter is JG fought exactly three elite fighters in his UFC career outside of Ferguson and they ALL put him away. His best win is Ferguson, and it is a fine and important win. With the benefit of time, we can see Ferguson nearing 40 has aged out and isn't elite anymore. Do Bronx and JG both dominated him. When it goes in MMA, it goes fast.

JG ranking the current world champion, who just beat Lee, Ferguson and Chandler in a row to cap his 8 fight win streak with 7 stoppages, below other fighters, is patently absurd. He should feel embarrassed to say stuff like that and he will likely go back to getting knocked out when he fights more ranked opponents.

3. Stoic Blue Belt

Not getting the hate, he could easily be right and it would make zero sense to say Oliveira is better than him.

Substance Abuse likes this.
  4. HI SCOTT NEWMAN ✔ Cats are the only hope for planet survival ✔

Totally agree. He is the type of guy that I just want to see fight and not talk. When he starts talking its all downhill for me. He is fun to watch fight, but I don't care much for his personality, he is quite arrogant

Jackonfire likes this.
  5. hswrestler Orange Belt

Something tells me he will, he did give Poirier hell last time he fought and both fighters improved a lot since then. Obviously he needs to work on his grappling, but im not sure if any current fighter could do what khabib did.

6. Sensee Purple Belt

Hopefully we'll find out. I dont fault him for his opinion.
    <Fedor23>

7. Alphafail Black Belt

Beating a popular guy like McGregor apparently makes you a better fighter than the actual champion.

8. DariusTheGreat Brown Belt

how the hell does Poirier have an inflated rank?

Khabib Khanate likes this.
  9. Khabib Khanate Hashashiyan Staff Member Senior Moderator

He's top 5 but many see him as the best LW and I don't agree with that. He's currently ranked #1 behind the champ by the UFC and #2 behind Khabib and ahead of Oliveira by Sherdog. I don't think his grappling has been tested enough for me to confidently say he's the best guy in the division. Since he's such an exciting stand up fighter he tends to get matched with other stand up fighters. Not Poirier's fault but it means that we don't see his grappling tested too often. Its the same with Gaethje and I am even less confident in his grappling.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    Carsormyr and hswrestler like this.
  10. Dave Poodle Brown Belt

Nothing ridiculous about what he said. It can take time for a division to sort itself out after a dominant champ retires, I've seen a lot of different opinions around. We need more of the top guys to fight each other to give it some clarity. Poirier v Oliveira and Gaethje v Chandler will definitely help with that.

11. Kryptt Dead Belt Platinum Member

Like we would pay any more attention to his rankings jus cause he is a fighter (in that).

12. Viking Power Red Belt

One has spent the last year and a half beating Conor (what does that even mean anymore?) and the other has spent it crying about losing to Khabib. Yeah, I agree. They are both inflated in ranking.

13. djason1988 Brown Belt

I like Justin, but his win over Ferguson doesn't look so great in hindsight, and khabib absolutely dominated him on the ground, even more so than anybody else he fought in the ufc. Charles would have a very real shot at quickly subbing him.

14. Khabib Khanate Hashashiyan Staff Member Senior Moderator

Exactly. Neither have been tested by grapplers before or after fighting Khabib so we have no idea how they'll match up against the elite grapplers at LW like Islam, Dariush, and Oliveira. Not saying they can't win but to me the LW top 5 is very crowded, any one of these guys could be the best or it could be rock,paper, scissors between them all. Poirier and Gaethje are as good a bet as any though, can't deny that at all.

Viking Power likes this.
  15. Viking Power Red Belt

Agreed. Exciting fights ahead as long as the bouts get agreed upon and guys stay healthy.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  16. r-harper-1 Gold Belt

No it’s Chandler….The guy Gaethje is about to fight

17. TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle Brown Belt

Its a fair ranking. Oliveira has a nice streak going but he hasnt exactly mixed it up with a good range of top LWs yet and for now is kind of a paper champion because of the circumstances.

18. OldFashion Purple Belt

Dan is coming into this fight short notice, without a training camp and probably still sore from his last fight. He's also tailor made for Islam. Nothing about beating Dan Hooker will prove anything

usernamee likes this.
  19. mmadeewana Brown Belt

Gaethje beats Oliveira. Just because he got taken down by Khabib doesnt mean Oliveira will take him down too.

Kertol likes this.
  20. Rocket Punch Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

i think charles finished both of them