just to remove all doubt about Tony/Werdum dust-up

1473691653kick.gif

Vai Cavalo bless.

lmao! I forgot about this! Yeah, Werdum only reacts to extreme dumb-asses as far as I can tell.

I think what's lost in translation here is that Tony was a great fighter; UFC wouldn't give him a title shot, regardless of his streak, because they recognize that he's a bit nutty and didn't want the liability of him as champ; Tony misread that as he didn't talk enough shit to get a shot; and Werdum just happened to be sitting next to him that day.

Don't get me wrong, Werdum did talk over him, but directly in response to a question he was asked in portuguese by a reporter, and Tony felt disrespected. The reporter prompted that exchange, and I don't disagree that Werdum should've put the reporter on hold, but I honestly think he would've if Tony wasn't being such a twat.

Werdum stayed silent for a long time while Tony disrespected basically every fighter on the planet; so many other fighters wouldn't have stayed quiet as long as Werdum did.

At the end of the day, Tony didn’t call the police like certain other fighters would have done.

Never saw this video before and it is disappointing to see as a Tony fan who believed he was the best LW alongside Khabib for a time. Sucks to see.
<{hughesimpress}>

Has Werdum had any other incidents besides the Colby / boomerang incident? I thought it was generally accepted that Werdum only acts this way to extreme shit-talkers and Tony likely started things, but I missed the other thread.
Colby, Edmund, and Tony. I don't think he necessarily minds when people talk shit, to sell individual fights, he just doesn't like it when it's fake and wholly disrespectful to fighters in general; much like all three of those situations. When he knows it's part of the show, and that's the entire purpose, he isn't likely to react.

Chael basically went to war with Brazil, but how many times did Werdum react to Chael? It was never directed at him specifically, and he recognized it was thoroughly promotional. First to sell the fights with Anderson, then to sell the fight with Wanderlei.

Werdum seems like a really laid back guy that can take a joke, and appreciate the marketing side of things, he just doesn't tolerate bullshit.

Werdum did talk over Tony's interview but it's very easy to understand why he snapped when Tony told him to shut up.

Werdum also said in a later interview that Tony had a problem with Werdum's manager and maybe that's why he was being a dick.

Sounds like a classic case of manlet syndrome. Dude's lucky Werdum isn't a hothead.

This is an attempt to post the real video instead of the bullshit edited video (and a larger bullshit narrative) fostered in places like the other thread and among several fans that don't know the larger story.

If you don't want to watch the whole video, I've got a summary here for you:

Start: Werdum is friendly, does a fist bump with Tony

5:00: Karyn starts interviewing Tony. Asks him if he’s taking Kevin Lee seriously. Tony replies that he’s only there because he has to be there (AKA he doesn’t want to talk to her). She replies it isn’t all bad.

5:45: After Tony gives a nonsensical reply to Karyn basically droning on about how he is a badass he then completely randomly states “I could be fighting Werdum for a fucking title, and I’d kick this guy’s ass” while pointing to Werdum who is seated right next to him. Werdum clearly hears him and has a surprised/confused look on his face. But he shows restraint and doesn’t react to this guy talking shit next to him who said to a third party that he'd kick Werdum's ass while Werdum is present.

6:00: Another narcissistic personality disorder rant from Tony about how great he is and how he “doesn’t see any other bitch asses fucking doing the same shit I’m doing.” More talk about how he is an inspiration to everyone online. Says who the fuck are Khabib and Conor. Says other fighters are “fake ass motherfuckers”

7:15: Another interviewer asks him about his fight prep. Tony says he isn’t eating “bourgie-ass food” as Werdum eats next to him and then drones some more about how great and special he is. Werdum, once again, shows restraint and tries to tune this asshole out chatting on the phone to someone / clearly is getting more annoyed the more Tony rants about how he’s the fucking greatest thing since sliced bread non-stop and insults every pro fighter on Earth.

9:00: Karyn lobs yet another softball about how Tony owns himself or whatever fluff talking point will encourage part 54 of the Tony monologue about how special he is. Tony's reply is to somehow transition to talking about how people can kiss his ass. Then calls Nate and Conor “pieces of shit”

10:00: Werdum talks to someone in the background. Tony cuts him off and puts his hand in his face to interrupt Werdum. Werdum finally has had enough bullshit and responds to him, calling him on his bullshit.

10:30: In a classic passive-aggressive move, Tony insults Werdum to bystanders rather than to Werdum. He calls Werdum “fake” to his interviewers while not looking at Werdum. He basically confirms he was insulting Werdum at the 6-minute mark when he labeled other fighters “fake ass motherfuckers.” Werdum proceeds to call him out for being an asshole after enduring 10 minutes of this utter bullshit.

10:45: Clearly having enough, Werdum stands. Tony stands in response and calls Werdum a “punk ass.” In classic passive-aggressive move #2, Tony insults Werdum to his face but then instinctively turns to OTHER people and suggests Werdum is somehow bullying HIM. “Big guy, huh?” thus fueling the BS narrative of the poor wittle LW getting picked on by the big bad HW for no weason boo hoo.

11:00: Once there is a third party between the two of them creating distance he sits down and says “have fun fighting on my undercard” and the ankle pick comment (again... now that they’re separated). Tony effortlessly transitions into part 85 of his narcissistic personality disorder speech, and attributes the dust up to his inherent greatness bothering other fighters, completely unable to perceive the fact that it might have had something to do with him being a prick for 10 minutes straight.

12:00: When the interviewer asks what that was all about, Tony nonsensically suggests Werdum is playing “grabass” with his manager, then plays the “HW trying to pick a fight with a 155er” card for the shit he just instigated and suggests Werdum is mad because he “got his ass knocked out” (Werdum had just lost the HW belt to Stipe around this time)

12:45: Congratulates himself on his supernatural ability to “read people” and credits that to his diagnosis of Werdum as “fake.” Tony pulls down his hood, now relaxing to transition into spewing more negativity/insults now that the big mean HW man that held him accountable has left

See above please guys / watch the unedited video.

Anyway... yeah. Sort of weird this is still necessary and that the fake video (and fake Tony narrative overall) still persists. If anything this is reflective of the fact that the "where's your kid" guy and the "I'll fight Werdum" guy and the "I broke my training partner's rib, it was great!" guy and the restraining order guy may have gotten his head so far up his ass due to the fact that the media and fans, rather than question any of it, lobbed "boy you are so unique and great" softballs/memes throughout the entirety of that process SOLELY because he happened to be on a win streak. Maybe if more Werdums in the world held him accountable for his behavior he wouldn't have gotten the positive reinforcement pushing him to become so unpleasant.

/end of rant and eagerly await all the "fuck you he's amazing" talk

Thank you for the summary.

Werdum did talk over Tony's interview but it's very easy to understand why he snapped when Tony told him to shut up.

Werdum also said in a later interview that Tony had a problem with Werdum's manager and maybe that's why he was being a dick.

That manager is Ali btw

I never saw that long version but even in the 2 minute version I sensed that Tony is just a guy that can annoy those around him with his massive ego and irrational thinking. Respect what he did in the octagon though and the sooner he gets on medication the more likely he won't completely self destruct.

Back