Just overheard a waitress complaining about a $2 tip

Richmma80

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Me and a co-worker were eating breakfast at a pancake place. They sat us close to the register and this guy comes in and picks up a to-go order and gave a $2 tip. The waitress started bitching after he left about the small tip on a 25 dollar order. She was visibly upset.

Do you think she was right to be mad? It was only 2 dollars, but it was takeout. You used to not tip on take out orders. You tipped for the service the waitresses give to you while you were eating in the restaurant.

I live in Brazil. We don't tip over here (EDIT: I should say over *there*, I'm in Mexico right now). Most restaurants/bars add an optional 10% service fee.

In all my travels to the US, I have noticed the whole tipping culture/system creates a rather hostile atmosphere.

Last edited:
She would have been even madder at me, I don't tip on pick ups. Wow you put my food in a box, you did your job, good for you.

If you feel you're worth more, get mad at your boss, not your customers. It isn't the customers responsibility to supplement your income because your company wants to make extra profit by paying you the bare minimum.

Me and a co-worker were eating breakfast at a pancake place. They sat us close to the register and this guy comes in and picks up a to-go order and gave a $2 tip. The waitress started bitching after he left about the small tip on a 25 dollar order. She was visibly upset.

Do you think she was right to be mad? It was only 2 dollars, but it was takeout. You used to not tip on take out orders. You tipped for the service the waitresses give to you while you were eating in the restaurant.

Just wait til how upset she gets when I give her 0.

Stop normalizing outsourcing pay from resturants to the customers in the US. You get a tip if you performed well. Very simple stuff.

The shortest amount of time is not a millisecond or even a nanosecond, but rather the account of time between someone getting something they never had and suddenly expecting it every time.

She would have been even madder at me, I don't tip on pick ups. Wow you put my food in a box, you did your job, good for you.

If you feel you're worth more, get mad at your boss, not your customers. It isn't the customers responsibility to supplement your income because your company wants to make extra profit by paying you the bare minimum.

I only tip on takeouts at 2 places where I am a regular. Otherwise, no dice.

Even more, I gots mself a Mr. Sub the other day and their machine now asks for a tip ... not sure I like tipping fastfood.

Nope , if you're waiting on me , do a good job I tip.

If you're delivering my food then yea, I tip.

If I'm coming to get it then no , I don't tip.
Same with me. I dine in, food and service is good, 20% every time. Delivery, 10%.

Last edited:
It really depends on the state and work place. In a lot of places, server paychecks are taxed assuming an average tip amount. I think it's around 15% or so, or used to be at least. So every time they get a tip less than what they're being taxed for, they lose money. So if she's being given credit for that "sale" even though it's take out, she's losing money. But rather than bitching about customers tipping less for take out, which we all should, she should be raising hell with the boss about why she's getting taxed for take out orders.

Not sure at what point "proper etiquette" means tipping the same on a to go order as you do when you actually eat there. I used to be a waiter, but I am not tipping more than a dollar on take out.

I don't tip on pick up. That's like tipping for fast food or ordering over the counter. Delivery I always tip well, same when eating at a restaurant.

Entitled person.
hell, even on fast food now, many of them, when you use a credit card have their machines ask how much you are going to tip

Getting upset with someone over the tip amount is signs of an inexperienced waitress. First off, it will get you fired.. and second they know it evens out in the end, and if you aren't making the kind of money you'd like.. well generally there's dozens of restaurants in your town you can switch over and work there. Lucky to get anything on a takeout.

Back