Just overheard a waitress complaining about a $2 tip

Getting upset with someone over the tip amount is signs of an inexperienced waitress. First off, it will get you fired.. and second they know it evens out in the end, and if you aren't making the kind of money you'd like.. well generally there's dozens of restaurants in your town you can switch over and work there. Lucky to get anything on a takeout.
It's only going to get worse too. The cost of food is skyrocketing, and already a lot more people are eating at home due to covid because either they're worried about getting it, or aren't vaccinated, or are simply against the vax pass.

I much prefer buying a huge 1lb prime cut steak for $25 and making it myself in 10 minutes over paying $60 for it plus 20% tip at a restaurant.

I rarely tip on takeout orders. Like it has to be a 0lace I always go to, to the point I'm friendly with the servers. Tips are for service and you didn't provide a service. I don’t tip someone for pouring coffee in a cup or handing me a bag at a fast food place, so why am I supposed to tip you for doing the same thing?

Oh no.. another thread discussing tips.

In response to TS... no, she should not complain. Pick and go usually don't get tips.
I don't tip on pick up. That's like tipping for fast food or ordering over the counter. Delivery I always tip well, same when eating at a restaurant.

Entitled person.
I do sometimes when I pick up coffee. If they ask how I like it and make some small talk I tip.

If I'm buying a pizza or other thing hell no.

It's only going to get worse too. The cost of food is skyrocketing, and already a lot more people are eating at home due to covid because either they're worried about getting it, or aren't vaccinated, or are simply against the vax pass.

I much prefer buying a huge 1lb prime cut steak for $25 and making it myself in 10 minutes over paying $60 for it plus 20% tip at a restaurant.
Welcome to the reality here.

Eating out is pretty expensive compared to cooking at home. Fast food is stupidly expensive too. I can make 4 high quality burgers at home with potatos and soda with the same amount of money I would spend for 1 shitty combo at McDonalds.

It's cheap, but I'm a good tipper so....

I wont tip more than $2 on pickup pretty much no matter how big the order is. I don't do 20% on pick up but I will tip like an extra $2 and that's it.

I never tip when I'm picking it up/take out. What did they do really besides the obvious?

I've been a cook my entire life, and wages for us are higher than they've ever been. Glad I don't work for tips. I also drive doordash on my free time and people are still eating out plenty I can assure you that. Younger generation don't seem to like cooking.

I've been a cook my entire life, and wages for us are higher than they've ever been. Glad I don't work for tips. I also drive doordash on my free time and people are still eating out plenty I can assure you that. Younger generation don't seem to like cooking.
I meant as in like dining in. Yeah the food delivery is booming, and is why young people are broke and whine about being broke and want their student loans paid off by the taxpayers lol.

If I have to get off my couch and walk to the place to pick-up, I don't usually tip. I throw the girls a dollar when I pick up my bagel but that's about it. I tip heavily when I go out though.

It's not even usually a waitress that gives to go orders, it's the hostess.

Waitress should probably start an only fans if she wants dudes to just give her money for nothing.

I meant as in like dining in. Yeah the food delivery is booming, and is why young people are broke and whine about being broke and want their student loans paid off by the taxpayers lol.
Yes all of this generations financial woes are due to them ordering door dash. And don't forget how lazy they are and that they don't want to work..Tell me you're old without telling me you're old lol.

She sounds dumb,barely anyone tips for take-out. Why would you

Yes all of this generations financial woes are due to them ordering door dash. And don't forget how lazy they are and that they don't want to work..Tell me you're old without telling me you're old lol.
I never said they didn't want to work, I'm saying a lot of them are awful with finances and waste a lot of their disposable income on shit they don't need. My age is irrelevant to the topic at hand.

I've never tipped on pickup orders. It's part of the job.

It really depends on the state and work place. In a lot of places, server paychecks are taxed assuming an average tip amount. I think it's around 15% or so, or used to be at least. So every time they get a tip less than what they're being taxed for, they lose money. So if she's being given credit for that "sale" even though it's take out, she's losing money. But rather than bitching about customers tipping less for take out, which we all should, she should be raising hell with the boss about why she's getting taxed for take out orders.

I worked at restaurants throughout high school and college, never once heard of a server accurately reporting pay to the IRS. They all scam it by not reporting cash tips. They also generally make more than boh folks who have a much more difficult job. Zero sympathy.

She would have been even madder at me, I don't tip on pick ups. Wow you put my food in a box, you did your job, good for you.

If you feel you're worth more, get mad at your boss, not your customers. It isn't the customers responsibility to supplement your income because your company wants to make extra profit by paying you the bare minimum.
Do you also believe that 'people don't want to work anymore' when restaurants can't hire staff or do you think, damn right, pay your employees more?

Back