Just overheard a waitress complaining about a $2 tip

I can’t believe there are people that DONT tip on to go orders.

sure you don’t have to leave 20% but I always tip on to go’s. Especially if it’s a place I order from more than once.

Nope , if you're waiting on me , do a good job I tip.

If you're delivering my food then yea, I tip.

If I'm coming to get it then no , I don't tip.

"Mostly" This but woth one exception; i like my favorite pub and waitresses so i tip them. Theres some other economic reasons for it.

The fuck if they're not.
$15 an hour at 30 hours a week is over 20k a year. Now add in $200 tips on a 6 hour shift 4 days a week.

Bartender in a club or a server in a 4 or 5 star resteraunt makes even more.

My ex regularily pulled over $300 a shift in tips bartending at a golf course. were she also made $17.50 an hour.

This is normal were I live in Portland.
Yeah fair enough if they're making $15 to $18 base PLUS tips. Most places I've lived the base is much lower, so you're maybe looking at $15 or $16 AFTER tips.

I can’t believe there are people that DONT tip on to go orders.

sure you don’t have to leave 20% but I always tip on to go’s. Especially if it’s a place I order from more than once.
Most people don't I think. No service is provided so what am I tipping for exactly?

Most people don't I think. No service is provided so what am I tipping for exactly?

Someone has to take the order, place the order in the computer, wrap up the order, make sure nothing is missing and then you have to watch the bags once it’s finished until pick up. A lot of times it’s done by the bar or the wait staff. If the order is taken at the bar like many places do every minute you spend on that order is time taken away from your guests at the bar or in the dining room.

So you tell me a service isn’t provided?

Someone has to take the order, place the order in the computer, wrap up the order, make sure nothing is missing and then you have to watch the bags once it’s finished until pick up. A lot of times it’s done by the bar or the wait staff. If the order is taken at the bar like many places do every minute you spend on that order is time taken away from your guests at the bar or in the dining room.

So you tell me a service isn’t provided?
No. I don't tip when I go to a fast food place and they place my order in a bag either.

Reactions: lsa
I'm generally a generous tipper, but I draw the line at picking up a take out order, unless it was a big order with many different components.

No. I don't tip when I go to a fast food place and they place my order in a bag either.

A restaurant and fast food place are not the same. But you know that already. And a service is most certainly provided. I already listed it above you just happened to ignore it all.

I tip on any food item I get. If I go to Jersey Mikes for a sub I leave a few bucks

I dont tip..
I do give the tip

A restaurant and fast food place are not the same. But you know that already. And a service is most certainly provided. I already listed it above you just happened to ignore it all.

I tip on any food item I get. If I go to Jersey Mikes for a sub I leave a few bucks
You turned doing one job, and a quick one, into like 5 different tasks.

I had Jersey Mike's yesterday, which I like a lot. But holy fuck is that place expensive. You can eat at a sit down restaurant for cheaper. Then tip a few bucks and you might ad well just go get a steak at Applebee's

I had Jersey Mike's yesterday, which I like a lot. But holy fuck is that place expensive. You can eat at a sit down restaurant for cheaper. Then tip a few bucks and you might ad well just go get a steak at Applebee's

Applebee’s is Really awful.

You turned doing one job, and a quick one, into like 5 different tasks.

It’s not only taking and putting the order into the computer they have to make sure everything you ordered is there. The kitchen puts the order together (Either the cooks but it’s most likely a back of the house person) and the person who has to give it to the guest has to double check to make sure nothing is missing. Mistakes happen all the time when things aren’t double checked. It’s plenty of extra work

It’s not only taking and putting the order into the computer they have to make sure everything you ordered is there. The kitchen puts the order together (Either the cooks but it’s most likely a back of the house person) and the person who has to give it to the guest has to double check to make sure nothing is missing. Mistakes happen all the time when things aren’t double checked. It’s plenty of extra work
This is all stuff that's done in lots of situations where you don't tip though. Like I would never tip someone making me a sub sandwich either. That's just me though.

This is all stuff that's done in lots of situations where you don't tip though. Like I would never tip someone making me a sub sandwich either. That's just me though.

No it isn’t and tipping is known in the food service industry.

you stay in a hotel and get room service you don’t tip the person that brings it to your room?

I don't tip on pick up. I used my gas lol WTF would I tip. I'm a generous tipper at restaurant don't get me Wrong but tipping on a pickup is dumb. If I knew the cook would get it and not the waitress I would consider it.

It must be really hard for a stranger moving to the US to get used with all the tipping etiquette, when even you guys don't agree on what to tip.

Of these service providers, who do you tip and how much?

Bartenders
Couriers / delivery
Cabs
Uber and Lyft
Barbers and salon
Small home repairs like plumbing, locksmirh or electrician
Cleaning maids

Tipping is bullshit for all the reasons said by Mr. Pink.

Guy Goes above and beyond while painting or roofing a house and will rarely see a tip. Makes 30k a year if he's lucky as a worker doing somewhat skilled hard labor.

Someone poors a few drinks, and we throw them $5 bucks. They earn 60k a year working part time doing something a child or a retard could do because society has decided so.

It's one of the only things I can think of that defies supply and demand. Even fat ugly people with bad attitudes make good money serving tables or pooring drinks. It makes no sense really.
<[analyzed}>

Tipping people for boxing up your pre-made and microwaved food <45>

Just cook everything yourself, save assloads of money for drastically higher quality, and never have to tip anyone

Back