Just had a $13 bison ribeye......

Bison is great but in my experience very few places know how to cook it properly.

Had a bison burger once but wasn't impressed. It seemed like it has a certain sweetness to it. Could have been how it was made though.

I know a family who runs a bison ranch in northern Alberta so I have access to it for cheap. Those fuckers are enormous up close.

And $13 isn't expensive for a Bison Ribeye. God damn Americans and their low prices.

If you drive a car, heat your house, drink clean water, and are not willing to slaughter half the people on the planet to make room - you should just keep quiet.

RgJHnyk.gif

Anything bison is good. I'm going to try bison ribeye tho... I bet that's the tits.

Wild Bison are endangered and are pretty much confined to parks and protected public land. There is a large and growing industry for farmed Bison, which are usually raised on open ranches.

The $13 steak could be a beefallo which is a cow/bison hybrid, which are commonly sold as bison or buffalo. If it is ranched Bison you got a decent deal for a ribeye. Bison has twice the protein of beef, but less fat than chicken.

So why would someone get a bison ribeye?

The whole appeal of the ribeye is that it's a fatty cut.

Bison is amazingly flavorful, and much more so than beef. Also, Bison can't be injected with hormones or any bullshit, so all Bison is natural, the way it's supposed to be. I love it, I don't really eat beef anymore (outside of brisket) because it just doesn't have the flavor and texture of Bison.

$14 for an 8oz ribeye is pretty reasonable... more than beef, but not exceptionally so. I love me some Bison ribeye for breakfast, along with some free range brown eggs.

portlandia-is-it-local-with-text.jpg

Haha. Fair enough... I do the best I can to eat farm fresh, organic meat, but it's not always reasonable. I love bison and beef, but I live in eastern NC where all we have is pork and some lamb. But I'll never get over my lustmord for brisket... no chance in hell!

So why would someone get a bison ribeye?

The whole appeal of the ribeye is that it's a fatty cut.

The ones I've had are still fatty enough, but not as much as that from beef. The texture is different, more tender in general, so not so much fat is required to make it taste good.

Kangaroo is fucking horrible and tough as old boots.

Bison is amazingly flavorful, and much more so than beef. Also, Bison can't be injected with hormones or any bullshit, so all Bison is natural, the way it's supposed to be. I love it, I don't really eat beef anymore (outside of brisket) because it just doesn't have the flavor and texture of Bison.

$14 for an 8oz ribeye is pretty reasonable... more than beef, but not exceptionally so. I love me some Bison ribeye for breakfast, along with some free range brown eggs.
Why can't it be injected?

I ask out of interest rather than being a douche.

Bison is great but in my experience very few places know how to cook it properly.
I just grilled it like a steak medium rare with just salt and pepper so i could taste the meat. Came out perfect

Back