Just had a $13 bison ribeye......

Never even heard of it till I saw it at the store. Came out pretty good. Pretty god damn expensive though. Anyone else ever heard of this?

$13

Expensive

pick one

so can you cook kangaroo sausage rare? I'm used to pork sausage so rare is off the table.

No you should not cook kangaroo sausage/mince rare, steaks and fillets you can.

Nothing wrong with eating bison, where it's plentiful. It's a healthy meat, but there is guilt involved for many because of history. In a similar vein, there's a stigma attached to eating carabao here in the Philippines. Now and then, a farming family has to sell the family tractor (the carabao) for profit, knowing they will soon fall deep into poverty without it. So when it ends up on a plate, it's not quite the dining pleasure it should be.

i ate bison balls
I assumed at the time they were just balls of bison meat
only later did I ponder the unthinkable.

Waite for the smell also how are you cooking it?

Damn, I hate smelly food, that's gonna suck. I can barely cook so I am not gonna cook it myself. My housemate said he'd cook it so that's why I got it in the first place.

Had a bison meat loaf once in Banff. It was called a buffaloaf and it was enjoyable.

$13 for a steak doesn't sound bad. I pay $7-$8 for ground from the neighbors.

Bison is amazingly flavorful, and much more so than beef. Also, Bison can't be injected with hormones or any bullshit, so all Bison is natural, the way it's supposed to be. I love it, I don't really eat beef anymore (outside of brisket) because it just doesn't have the flavor and texture of Bison.

$14 for an 8oz ribeye is pretty reasonable... more than beef, but not exceptionally so. I love me some Bison ribeye for breakfast, along with some free range brown eggs.

How does it compare to cattle ribeye? Drier, less fat, stronger flavor?
It's what beef is supposed to taste like. Bison is actually free range and grass fed. It's delicious. All that crap that cows eat negatively impacts the taste.

Interesting. Why though?

Don't quote me but I believe it's to do with the fat that is added in sausages/burgers. The cuts of meat, (fillet, steak) are best cooked rare/med-rare because of the near non-existent fat content, but since people add fat to sausages/mince it needs to be cooked longer. Not actually sure why it makes a difference. Probably something to do with undercooked fat? This is just what I've always been told about cooking kangaroo. If you ever feel like trying kangaroo, berbere spice goes very well with it.

That's $26 a pound. That's twice the price of beef here

I love australia but....damn sometimes I'm jealous of the prices you yanks get things like meat. A pub class ribeye here is minimum $42

sometimes your shit is cheap because it's mass produced but im assuming since it's bison it's not some mass farmed thing, it's gonna be grass fed/hormone free and all that..... lucky bastards

Don't quote me but I believe it's to do with the fat that is added in sausages/burgers. The cuts of meat, (fillet, steak) are best cooked rare/med-rare because of the near non-existent fat content, but since people add fat to sausages/mince it needs to be cooked longer. Not actually sure why it makes a difference. Probably something to do with undercooked fat? This is just what I've always been told about cooking kangaroo. If you ever feel like trying kangaroo, berbere spice goes very well with it.

I love australia but....damn sometimes I'm jealous of the prices you yanks get things like meat. A pub class ribeye here is minimum $42

sometimes your shit is cheap because it's mass produced but im assuming since it's bison it's not some mass farmed thing, it's gonna be grass fed/hormone free and all that..... lucky bastards

I'm an American who lives in the UK, the prices over here are crazy compared to back home, eating out is so much more expensive pretty much everywhere I've been in the UK. If there's one thing we do well in the US it's the quality you can get for the prices you pay.

$13 is not expensive for a steak.

Thanks for contributing to climate change meat breath

i ate bison balls
I assumed at the time they were just balls of bison meat
only later did I ponder the unthinkable.
It's not unthinkable. Rocky Mountain Oysters are a delicacy.

RMO.jpg

Thanks for contributing to climate change meat breath
If you drive a car, heat your house, drink clean water, and are not willing to slaughter half the people on the planet to make room - you should just keep quiet.

Back