Just had a $13 bison ribeye......

Isn't it on the endangered species list?
Not for quite a while. They're farmed pretty extensively now, in addition to the wild ones.

There's about a half million of them these days.

Never tried it but I bought some kangaroo meat yesterday. I have a feeling it'll be bad, lets see how it turns out.

Not for quite a while. They're farmed pretty extensively now, in addition to the wild ones.

There's about a half million of them these days.
Half a million isnt all that much. If every American one day all of a sudden decided they wanted to eat a bison steak the entire species would be wiped out in one day

Half a million isnt all that much. If every American one day all of a sudden decided they wanted to eat a bison steak the entire species would be wiped out in one day
No. But that is a sustainable number. Considering they were under a thousand in the US at one point.

Never tried it but I bought some kangaroo meat yesterday. I have a feeling it'll be bad, lets see how it turns out.
I wanted to try that too. Kinda hard to find in Las Vegas though

I wanted to try that too. Kinda hard to find in Las Vegas though

Yeah I've never seen it sold anywhere else. I recently moved to Australia and of course there was kangaroo meat at the grocery store so I was like fuck it, let's give it a shot. I have put it in the freezer for now, let's see when I get the urge to try it.

I had kangaroo jerky. It was edible. I prefer beef though. It's not close. Ostrich was pretty good though.

Isn't it on the endangered species list?
Wild Bison are endangered and are pretty much confined to parks and protected public land. There is a large and growing industry for farmed Bison, which are usually raised on open ranches.

The $13 steak could be a beefallo which is a cow/bison hybrid, which are commonly sold as bison or buffalo. If it is ranched Bison you got a decent deal for a ribeye. Bison has twice the protein of beef, but less fat than chicken.

I once stayed for a bit with an old couple who raised the bison/cow hybrids and would feed me with their meat. I was too young to appreciate it at the time. Wish I could try it again. I remember they would cook a separate steak each for their cat and dog. The dog would gobble that shit up quick and try to steal the cat’s, then the cat would have to smack the dog a few times

Yeah I've never seen it sold anywhere else. I recently moved to Australia and of course there was kangaroo meat at the grocery store so I was like fuck it, let's give it a shot. I have put it in the freezer for now, let's see when I get the urge to try it.
I had it for the first time this year, it was alright, very gamey.

I had it for the first time this year, it was alright, very gamey.

I just read up on how to cook a kanga-steak and what I found insists that you let it sit, tented, for 5 minutes afterwards. I also learned you can cook it well or rare. The fact that it's a chunk of giant rodent-looking marsupial should not deter you. I'd think chicken rules apply, no red, but what the fuck do I know anyway?

so did you tent and let it sit?

$13 for 8 oz of good steak is peanuts, bro

I just read up on how to cook a kanga-steak and what I found insists that you let it sit, tented, for 5 minutes afterwards. I also learned you can cook it well or rare. The fact that it's a chunk of giant rodent-looking marsupial should not deter you. I'd think chicken rules apply, no red, but what the fuck do I know anyway?

so did you tent and let it sit?
I didn't tent it, it was sausages

so can you cook kangaroo sausage rare? I'm used to pork sausage so rare is off the table.
I'm not sure tbh, I haven't had any kangaroo meat since, if I have it again I wanna try the steak

Back