Just had a $13 bison ribeye......

Don't quote me but I believe it's to do with the fat that is added in sausages/burgers. The cuts of meat, (fillet, steak) are best cooked rare/med-rare because of the near non-existent fat content, but since people add fat to sausages/mince it needs to be cooked longer. Not actually sure why it makes a difference. Probably something to do with undercooked fat? This is just what I've always been told about cooking kangaroo. If you ever feel like trying kangaroo, berbere spice goes very well with it.

I love australia but....damn sometimes I'm jealous of the prices you yanks get things like meat. A pub class ribeye here is minimum $42

sometimes your shit is cheap because it's mass produced but im assuming since it's bison it's not some mass farmed thing, it's gonna be grass fed/hormone free and all that..... lucky bastards

You know there's an exchange rate, correct? :) Also, at a restaurant, ribeye's are more money as well.

Love me some BBQ Bison Burgers

So why would someone get a bison ribeye?

The whole appeal of the ribeye is that it's a fatty cut.
It still is a fatty cut, but the fat and meat color is little different due to the diet and protein count. Meat is a little sweeter, and more flavorful then beef. The fat in beef has more flavor.

Bison is also best served rare or medium rare, because it can toughen up due to less fat. The best eating Bison are yearling males, or non-calf bearing females, for steak cuts. Plus they can also sell Bull males for torphy hunting for big money.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/porta...eets/meat-preparation/focus-on-bison/CT_Index

I'm not sure exactly WHY, but to sell Bison meat in the US the Bison must be raised without any growth hormones, and most are never injected with any kind of antibiotics. I can't find the WHY after doing some google-fu, but everything I look at says it's not legal to use these products on bison.
Have you ever seen a buffalo in person? They don't need anything to "beef" them up.
Buffalo don't get some of the diseases of the cows get like foot and mouth. They are vaccinated for certain things like brucelosis though. Buffalo aren't dumb like cows either, they won't go stand in cold water or shit and lay down in it.
I don't know how the process works in other areas, so it may be different. But the farmers around me when they're ready to butcher, they haul the buffalo right to the butcher. Or the butcher will come out, kill it, and load it themselves. Then the wholesaler will come in an buy the meat to resale to stores, restaurants, etc. They don't get brought to an auction barn, fattened up in a feed lot, then slaughtered.

Back