Just got laid off - Not enough work due to COVID :(

Way too many socially awkward dudes here in California got into IT the last 10 years. The market is beyond Saturated. Guys are going to have to man up and move to Arizona / New Mexico if they have to.

<Lmaoo>

Way too many socially awkward dudes here in California got into IT the last 10 years. The market is beyond Saturated. Guys are going to have to man up and move to Arizona / New Mexico if they have to.

Not talking about you, sucks you lost your job.
It’s just IT is full of goobers now . It’s tough
What's wrong with being a goober

Sorry to hear @TheNinja , its tough these days with shit by shit stacking on all at once

Try to see about freelance work too, better than nothing. If you do, take the bulk of the pay upfront and the remaining on launch. Its not rare to get screwed over where the arrangement is: pay upon delivered the deliverables.

Don't know what I'm going to do. I got kids man. :( - Just thought I'd vent to my fellow Sherdoggers who might be in the same boat. It was a great job with full benefits everything I could ask for. Now it's gone.

Whoever says this shit is a conspiracy needs to be kicked in the nuts.

EDIT: Sorry, my last line was confusing. I was/am just upset. I don't want to bring conspiracy theory or politics or anything into it. I was just venting b/c I'm terrible frustrated and worried was all.
I hear you, and can sorta feel you pain. I own a small construction company. I use to have 12 guys under my wing now I got 8 because no work cant pay them.

I am so sorry to hear this. I've been in this position before where I lost a job with a young family. I made it through and found another job. I will say a prayer for you and your family. My wife and I have talked about this, my current job is great, but if something happens we are prepared to move anywhere. A house in your area is $1M. A nice house in many nice parts of the country is $350k. Might be working looking in other states if you can't find something local.

I've thought this too. Hard to uproot kids but maybe having a nice house with a yard and space and all that will make up for it vs scratching to get by in a small place with hardly any yard. Kids adapt well. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

I hear you, and can sorta feel you pain. I own a small construction company. I use to have 12 guys under my wing now I got 8 because no work cant pay them.

Sorry to hear :( - Good on you for holding on to as many as you can!! I don't think a lot of people realize just how shitty it is out there. Some industries are getting absolutely crushed and I can't imagine how long they'll take to recover. Not to mention companies that will just never ever come back. Millions of people's lives ruined by this......it's gut wrenching really, it just seems unbelievable in today's day and age.

don't worry our leaders are working on another stimulus as we speak

<CerseiPlotting><{Heymansnicker}>
those millionaires who can afford to never work a day for the next 20 years are going to figure out how to get you a couple G's for the next 3 months until you end up finding work at WalMart or McDs

Theyve been working a bit too hard I think. Maybe they deserve a little vacation next week? a 2 week vacation I believe will help them make better decisions since making this stimulus is not an easy job. Not easy trying to find ways to rob the public.

That shit sucks. I am fortunate enough to still have a job. But I think the government should definitely be giving everyone, especially those who lost their jobs, a substantial monthly stipend until this thing is over. Fucking politicians don’t give a fuck about anyone but themselves. I think this is definite proof.

Sorry to hear :( - Good on you for holding on to as many as you can!! I don't think a lot of people realize just how shitty it is out there. Some industries are getting absolutely crushed and I can't imagine how long they'll take to recover. Not to mention companies that will just never ever come back. Millions of people's lives ruined by this......it's gut wrenching really, it just seems unbelievable in today's day and age.

Oh I know, right now should be my busy break neck schedule. No one want's a bunch of strangers in their home remodeling right now. Sure could do roofing but after insurance and liability prices in NY would make jack shit for what its worth.

i was put on furlough earlier in the year due to covid. but i'm fortunate that i have knowledge in tech, and here in the bay area, there are always jobs around if you know your stuff.

good luck, threadstarter. with kids, it's not only tough monetarily, but even worse emotionally, if you feel you aren't doing enough to support your family.

That shit sucks. I am fortunate enough to still have a job. But I think the government should definitely be giving everyone, especially those who lost their jobs, a substantial monthly stipend until this thing is over. Fucking politicians don’t give a fuck about anyone but themselves. I think this is definite proof.
Government cant "give" anyone anything. Lets not forget that.

Good Jaysus, not another thread infested by the "conspiracy" idiots.
My heart goes out to you TS.
Hope all goes well for you.

Sorry bud! I'm on the same boat. Last day was 6/12. I live in MD but worked in downtown DC. Things will eventually turn around so keep your head up. Take advantage of the downtime to work on something you're passionate about so that you don't lose your mind. So far I've submitted a pilot script to 2 prod/mgt companies and currently finishing the outline for a feature. Take a short break to reset but then get back on the horse and use your time wisely.

Back