Just got laid off - Not enough work due to COVID :(

TheNinja

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Don't know what I'm going to do. I got kids man. :( - Just thought I'd vent to my fellow Sherdoggers who might be in the same boat. It was a great job with full benefits everything I could ask for. Now it's gone.

Whoever says this shit is a conspiracy needs to be kicked in the nuts.

EDIT: Sorry, my last line was confusing. I was/am just upset. I don't want to bring conspiracy theory or politics or anything into it. I was just venting b/c I'm terrible frustrated and worried was all.

Last edited:
That does suck. However, congratulations on making it this far into the pandemic. I think there are currently 50 million unemployed Americans. Now that is 50 million + 1

Don't know what I'm going to do. I got kids man. :( - Just thought I'd vent to my fellow Sherdoggers who might be in the same boat. It was a great job with full benefits everything I could ask for. Now it's gone.

Whoever says this shit is a conspiracy needs to be kicked in the nuts.
Ah fuck I'm really sorry man, it's been my biggest fear for a while now, losing my job.

Hope you're OK man, no slipping you know?

What's your area like, is there much going on jobwise?

You own or work in a bar or restaurant........gonna be tough

Gotta jump on that unemployment asap. Most states are giving a boost to it. It doesnt make up for an actual job but it's better than nothing. Idk how the rest of the states do it but here in Washington it's better to apply in the middle of the week. Applications arent processed in a first come first served manner rather a recency bias. That is if you're in USA. Good luck out there.

Hopefully the government passes the stimulus check so that'll help you out. Stay positive my friend, God is good. What kind of work were you in? Also agree with filing for unemployment immediately.

Unemployment benefits in CA is roughly around 450 a week for about 6.5 months. Unfortunately, that extra 600 a week is going kaput at the end of the month. Perhaps, they’ll extend it in that second stimulus package. I hope you’ll be fine.

Ah fuck I'm really sorry man, it's been my biggest fear for a while now, losing my job.

Hope you're OK man, no slipping you know?

What's your area like, is there much going on jobwise?

What did you do?

And sorry man.

It's a conspiracy in that all of society should not be shut down. Statistics show it's only the elderly and immune compromised that need to quarantine.

I was/am in IT. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area of California so there is a lot of stuff here but the commutes are just plain BRUTAL and the competition is fierce. I had a great job where it was flexible and paid great and had great benefits and really cared about people. Sucks. Now I'm off to the highest (or only?) bidder I guess.

don't worry our leaders are working on another stimulus as we speak

<CerseiPlotting><{Heymansnicker}>
those millionaires who can afford to never work a day for the next 20 years are going to figure out how to get you a couple G's for the next 3 months until you end up finding work at WalMart or McDs

Unemployment benefits in CA is roughly around 450 a week for about 6.5 months. Unfortunately, that extra 600 a week is going kaput at the end of the month. Perhaps, they’ll extend it in that second stimulus package. I hope you’ll be fine.

Ya unfortunately for CA that doesn't even pay rent :( - I don't get the whole unemployment deal and timeframe. What do they expect you to do after the 6.5 months? I mean just have no income? I guess they expect you to find some sort of job regardless of what it is.

I see people without jobs for years, how are they getting money?

Last edited:
Gotta jump on that unemployment asap. Most states are giving a boost to it.
I believe that ends this week (today, actually)

Maybe thats at the federal level and states still have this free money boost going on?

I'd have taken 2/3 salary if it meant keeping my job and benefits but that's not how it works apparenlty.

I believe that ends this week (today, actually)

Maybe thats at the federal level and states still have this free money boost going on?
Good question. No idea. I believe it was a stimulus boost. Dont quote me on that.

Ya unfortunately for CA that doesn't even pay rent :( - I don't get unemployment. What do they expect you to do after the 6.5 months? I mean just have no income? I guess they expect you to find some sort of job regardless of what it is.

During the Obama’s first tern, unemployment lasted 99 weeks. Basically two years. If Biden wins, it could be pushed up if the unemployment is still sky high. My two cents would be just apply through the EDD website and begin the job hunt ASAP. Hopefully, you’ll land something.

Wait, why don’t you get unemployment? You were laid off.

I was/am in IT. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area of California so there is a lot of stuff here but the commutes are just plain BRUTAL and the competition is fierce. I had a great job where it was flexible and paid great and had great benefits and really cared about people. Sucks. Now I'm off to the highest (or only?) bidder I guess.
Hopefully as you're in IT there will be an abundance of oppurtunities, or at least one for you.

Stay solid bro, don't let it knock you down, you know we're pulling for you. We're in for the long haul man

Back