Just got laid off - Not enough work due to COVID :(

Take advantage of the downtime to work on something you're passionate about so that you don't lose your mind. So far I've submitted a pilot script to 2 prod/mgt companies and currently finishing the outline for a feature

Damn, impressive!
<mma4>

Don't know what I'm going to do. I got kids man. :( - Just thought I'd vent to my fellow Sherdoggers who might be in the same boat. It was a great job with full benefits everything I could ask for. Now it's gone.

Whoever says this shit is a conspiracy needs to be kicked in the nuts.

EDIT: Sorry, my last line was confusing. I was/am just upset. I don't want to bring conspiracy theory or politics or anything into it. I was just venting b/c I'm terrible frustrated and worried was all.
Sorry to hear man.

Government cant "give" anyone anything. Lets not forget that.
Yes, they can. They can transfer money just like they did with the first stimulus check, except with more regularity, so that those who are most affected by covid, in an economic sense, are subsidized. You know, like how they subsidize corporations.

Just goes to show that people that predicted a quick bounce back from Covid were underestimating the economic impact big time. Even if the economy reopens completely all those months of lost wages and missed payments will trickle down. I think we could be heading for a depression.

Yep. There was a real estate thread last week and this is what I think is going to kill real estate prices(its still going to take a while). We are now really starting to see lots of middleclass people getting laid off where in the beginning it tended to be more younger people in the service industry.

I've thought this too. Hard to uproot kids but maybe having a nice house with a yard and space and all that will make up for it vs scratching to get by in a small place with hardly any yard. Kids adapt well. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

We live in California, but found quite a few nice places around the country with homes for $350k with .25 or .33 of an acre. Many places in Idaho and North Carolina.

Don't know what I'm going to do. I got kids man. :( - Just thought I'd vent to my fellow Sherdoggers who might be in the same boat. It was a great job with full benefits everything I could ask for. Now it's gone.

EDIT: Sorry, my last line was confusing. I was/am just upset. I don't want to bring conspiracy theory or politics or anything into it. I was just venting b/c I'm terrible frustrated and worried was all.

I'm so sorry to hear about your job loss, bro. Hopefully, the two sides can get together & iron out a new COVID-19 relief & stimulus package ASAP & include new jobless benefits in it. It needs to be done.

Yep. There was a real estate thread last week and this is what I think is going to kill real estate prices(its still going to take a while). We are now really starting to see lots of middleclass people getting laid off where in the beginning it tended to be more younger people in the service industry.

This. I think at first like you said it was more service industry single people like bar tenders waitresses etc. I feel terrible for them as most live paycheck to paycheck. Many of them are ok with unemployment and able to pay rent and ride it out. Doesn’t affect stocks or real estate too much. BUT now the trickle down effect and middle class families losing money and missing payments and not buying that second home for example. Sucks for those who lost jobs and just try to scrape by.

it’s a great opportunity for those who kept their income as they can probably jump on some cheaper properties coming up.

I'm so sorry to hear about your job loss, bro. Hopefully, the two sides can get together & iron out a new COVID-19 relief & stimulus package ASAP & include new jobless benefits in it. It needs to be done.
Thanks man. Luckily I have enough to live for about 6 months. So I’m not going to die. BUT that money was supposed to be savings and kids college starter funds and allowing the kids a chance to do things like camps with friends and youth sports. It wasn’t supposed to be dipped into to live.

so I don’t mean to complain but it just sucks to have to dip into the savings that you scratch and claw to keep through the years only to see it disappear before your eyes bc of this global situation. So now I gotta look my 10 year old girl in the eyes and say we can’t get new soccer shoes right now bc of this ? Again that might seem petty and it’s only a small example but it’s heartbreaking to feel like you are just stuck scraping by and their college finds getting eaten up quickly.

I don’t mean to sound ungrateful for my savings as I know some can’t even afford rent !! It’s just disappointing as it’s not how you envision life at my age to have to go through. Total life changing event.

Look for employment out of state, maybe Texas. Lots' of silicon valley are moving to Texas right now due to lower COL. You may be able to find work there.

it’s a great opportunity for those who kept their income as they can probably jump on some cheaper properties coming up.

Will have to wait and see on real estate. Prices have stayed high due to low inventory. People are not considering that less people are going to want to rent apartments during a viral outbreak and now civil unrest. Buying a home has never been more appealing if you have the funds. I would love to have the ability to not have to cross paths with anyone during the course of a day if I didn't want to.

Look for employment out of state, maybe Texas. Lots' of silicon valley are moving to Texas right now due to lower COL. You may be able to find work there.

I’m looking into other areas. Everything is in the table for me right now. Go someplace where I can buy a house rather than rent a crappy small place. I have family in another part of the county but I have no desire to live in that area Of the Midwest. Heh.

Back