Just got accepted into my Top choice PhD program

Northwestern's a great school. Congrats.

Congrats!

I will say though as a recent law school grad that you should be careful about taking out a lot of student loans (not sure if you were planning to)... At the time it seems like "no biggie, with this degree I'll be making plenty to pay them back no problem" but with the economy down, they stack up a lot faster than you'd think and high paying jobs are tougher to find than they were a few years ago.

Killer work though, Northwestern is a tough school to get into.

Congrats!

I will say though as a recent law school grad that you should be careful about taking out a lot of student loans (not sure if you were planning to)... At the time it seems like "no biggie, with this degree I'll be making plenty to pay them back no problem" but with the economy down, they stack up a lot faster than you'd think and high paying jobs are tougher to find than they were a few years ago.

Killer work though, Northwestern is a tough school to get into.

Nope, I have 40k in student loans from undergrad. 22K is plenty to live off of. I don't have expensive taste. Thanks for the advice though.

That's great news, a PhD in statistics from Northwestern is no joke.

You are probably going to end up as a litigation damages expert fyi. Just so you're clear on your career path.

That's great news, a PhD in statistics from Northwestern is no joke.

You are probably going to end up as a litigation damages expert fyi. Just so you're clear on your career path.

Yeah, I hope that I can do a post-doc at an Ivy, then get a professorship at a top school. One step at a time though.

good luck bro, i almost went to northwestern for phd but decided on elsewhere. why are they your top choice out of curiosity?

good luck bro, i almost went to northwestern for phd but decided on elsewhere. why are they your top choice out of curiosity?

Highest rank out of my apps, High job placement, and have really good people in Time Series which is an area I'm very interested in.

Mazel Tov to you, my good man. I'm from Chicago and my brother went to Northwestern for undergrad. Great city and a great campus (on the Lake!). Best of luck with your endeavors.

Highest rank out of my apps, High job placement, and have really good people in Time Series which is an area I'm very interested in.

I hope you didn't short change yourself dude. I remember when i was applying prof told me u never want to get into the highest school you applied to.

I hope you didn't short change yourself dude. I remember when i was applying prof told me u never want to get into the highest school you applied to.

Northwestern was a reach. The only thing I really had going for me was I was graduating in 3 years, and a 4.0 in math from a completely unknown school. I also had a great relationship with a couple of letter writers.

Damn fine work. Damn fine, indeed.

What programming languages do you know?

Assuming Uniformity and not a leap year

(x nCr 2)((1/365)^2)(364/365)^(x-2)
I'm exceptionally angry at myself that I couldn't formulate this when he asked that. I need to go back to school.
sounds like you get laid a lot then. keep up the good work.
Sounds to me like you're the one striking out. I can't fathom any other reason that you'd come into this thread and pick on the math stereotype solely to contribute this.

sounds like you get laid a lot then. keep up the good work.

Jacketwrestler join date: 2008

Number of posts: 898

--------

Revolver join date: 2008

Number of posts: 11,016

--------

Yeah Revolver, I'm sure you get laid all the time too. Even if you did, who gives a fuck? How much of a shallow fuck do you have to be to define a part of your self-worth by how many women you have sex with?

I'm exceptionally angry at myself that I couldn't formulate this when he asked that. I need to go back to school.

Don't feel bad, I'm studying for the actuarial probability exam so I've devoted more hours than I care to mention to probability.

Haha my favorite is the joke about the three mathmaticians. One pure, one applied, and one statistician. For a job interview they are each asked what is one-third times three. The applied mathematician goes ".9999999...", the pure math guy goes "1", and the statistician goes"That depends, what do you want it to be?".

Grats, you are now officially the nerdiest poster on sherdog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back