Just got accepted into my Top choice PhD program

So your a mathlete and athlete?
I'm not a huge athlete anymore. I just lift weights and do club wrestling.

Aviary > actuary

problem-Eagle-Juicehead.jpg
Yeah, my original plan was to compete in falconry but, my falcons kept getting eaten by bears. I probably should have started with smaller targets:redface:.
The fuck? Is it?

I already have 20g for my MSc, and we're getting another prof involved so that number will probably go up.

I take it your going for Physics?

I take it your going for Physics?

Electrical Engineering. More specifically signals processing. So, not too foreign to what you're doing, although, not at such a highly ranked university, and taking the "scenic route" lol.

I think Mr. Charles Brown might be referring to me here (the addiction doc). To be clear: I'm not an MD, but a PharmD. My specialty is mental health and psychopharmacology (w/ a focus on drugs of abuse). At the hospital what I do is essentially indistinguishable from the psychiatrist MD. I see patients, have authority to Rx drugs, order labs, etc. Biggest difference is the MD does the initial assessment, physical exam, and comes up with the provisional diagnosis. The MD then consults w/ me about what drugs to prescribe.

I'd rather not post a pic of my degree, so not sure how I'd prove my cred. I guess just trust that I couldn't be bothered to go to the trouble of pretending this hard for an MMA blog.

But, back to the TS...He's still probably one of the brighter dudes on here, for real. I thought biostatistics was one of the harder classes in grad school. Conceptualizing all this while having the requisite Math chops is no joke.

That's an interesting field for sure and since I'm going to major in psych it's kind of up my alley. I would probably talk your ear off if I met you in person with the amount of questions I have but I digress. Please don't post a picture of your degree haha. I believe your creds and wasn't trying to be a snob by saying that.

Congrats brother. That's a great undertaking but the reward is the accomplishment of a lifetime.

I just finished my MBA in finance and I'm looking at phd programs. I'm also working so I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

CONGRATS TS!!!

What kind of statistics will you be going into?

NFL
MLB
NBA
NHL
NCL? (National Curling League)

That's an interesting field for sure and since I'm going to major in psych it's kind of up my alley. I would probably talk your ear off if I met you in person with the amount of questions I have but I digress. Please don't post a picture of your degree haha. I believe your creds and wasn't trying to be a snob by saying that.

Oh, no worries. It's all good. No need to take Sherdoggers comments personally. :D
If you go into psychiatry, you too will develop a thick skin (it's kind of a job prerequisite). But, good luck with your major. Maybe we'll have a psych thread and we can have a good chat on there.

And to the TS: we must be science opposites! Different strokes, different folks. But, keep on helping out us math ignorant bio-chem people. Seriously, we're in awe of the stats guys. Medical research really wouldn't be possible without their contributions.

That's what I thought, though, admittedly, funding structures do seem to differ between Canada and the States.

When I was in a PhD program starting in 2003, my stipend was $22.5k (US). I'm sure it's gone up by now. Princeton at the time was $25k.

The fuck? Is it?

I already have 20g for my MSc, and we're getting another prof involved so that number will probably go up.

but u probably don't get a tuition waiver right?

for phd programs we get a tuition waiver, health insurance and a stipend on top of that.

I'll have my phd in about 2 years so add me to that mayberry Phd list.

for phd programs we get a tuition waiver, health insurance and a stipend on top of that.

They probably do. If a program is giving a stipend, it's most likely giving those other benefits as well.

congrats man. but your major sounds boring. study something that chicks dig instead.

sounds like you get laid a lot then. keep up the good work.

What is your obsession wth my sex life? I'd get that looked into.

Sounds to me like you're the one striking out. I can't fathom any other reason that you'd come into this thread and pick on the math stereotype solely to contribute this.

Jacketwrestler join date: 2008

Number of posts: 898

--------

Revolver join date: 2008

Number of posts: 11,016

--------

Yeah Revolver, I'm sure you get laid all the time too. Even if you did, who gives a fuck? How much of a shallow fuck do you have to be to define a part of your self-worth by how many women you have sex with?

LMAO.

Gotten to. Lol that was easy and my post wasn't even directed towards you.

Is this what you hardcore OTers strive for on a daily basis?

Sounds like you get laid a lot then. Keep up the good work.

PhD programs ought to take care of you more than an MSc program. There are a couple options to get tuition waved. I'll be trying to negotiate that as part of the final package.

PhD programs ought to take care of you more than an MSc program. There are a couple options to get tuition waved. I'll be trying to negotiate that as part of the final package.

lol ha they better, being broke for 5 years out of undergrad is a tough decision to make when u see ur friends going off to banking, consulting, and living the high life

lol ha they better, being broke for 5 years out of undergrad is a tough decision to make when u see ur friends going off to banking, consulting, and living the high life

Haha you know I never even thought it was a big deal. As long as I have a roof over my head and enough food I'm pretty happy. Shiny things and new cars never really held much sway on me.

Shit man, I am 0 for 2 so far in my Stats classes in college. Wish me luck! And props to you lol. That sounds extremely difficult. Good luck with your final classes.

It absolutely is. I'm assuming you went straight for a PhD after undergrad?

Haha you know I never even thought it was a big deal. As long as I have a roof over my head and enough food I'm pretty happy. Shiny things and new cars never really held much sway on me.

Research does provide some pretty incredible opportunities for you as well. I love conferences. Getting to travel to different places, getting bombarded with all kinds of ideas for a few days, meeting all kinds of people.

My supervisor is currently in Helsinki just chillin. Not on sabbatical, just chillin.

Back