Just got accepted into my Top choice PhD program

Don't feel bad, I'm studying for the actuarial probability exam so I've devoted more hours than I care to mention to probability.
Is this problem really that complicated? I did well in an undergrad elementary probability and statistics class in college. But then, I also passed Calculus over a decade ago, and I doubt I could solve a single problem today. I haven't pursued anything that requires me to use it.

Okay. Tougher one you may have come across and this isn't the Monty Hall problem.

There are two envelopes that have money in them.

One has twice as much as the other and you cannot tell the envelopes apart.

You may pick one envelope and keep the money it contains.

You pick at random, but before you open the envelope, you are offered the chance to take the other envelope instead.

What do you do?

Is this problem really that complicated? I did well in an undergrad elementary probability and statistics class in college. But then, I also passed Calculus over a decade ago, and I doubt I could solve a single problem today. I haven't pursued anything that requires me to use it.
No, it's a standard binomial. But, if you hadn't seen it in a while it's a pretty easy distribution to forget.
Okay. Tougher one you may have come across and this isn't the Monty Hall problem.

You pick at random, but before you open the envelope, you are offered the chance to take the other envelope instead.

What do you do?

Don't care I'd be getting money either way. I've seen some explanations for it but, they honestly don't make sense to me. No matter how I think about this problem, all I can come up is that the probability id 50-50.

Last edited:
I think that I'd rather chew on broken glass than study statistics. But, congrats dude.

What do you do?

Swap and take the second envelope.

Congrats. With this you may be the most educated poster on sherdog haha. I actually have no idea what the average education level of sherdog is. That seems like a problem you can figure out.

I'm thinking of taking AP stat what advice would you give me? I'm not particularly good at calculus.

Congrats. With this you may be the most educated poster on sherdog haha. I actually have no idea what the average education level of sherdog is. That seems like a problem you can figure out.

I'm thinking of taking AP stat what advice would you give me? I'm not particularly good at calculus.

We've got one PhD and a few JD's in the War Room. We've got an MD in the Plats, and an MD in the Mayberry.

We've got one PhD and a few JD's in the War Room. We've got an MD in the Plats, and an MD in the Mayberry.

I guess the war room is where the most intellectual posters assemble. That's pretty cool, do you know what the phd and MDs are in?

I guess the war room is where the most intellectual posters assemble. That's pretty cool, do you know what the phd and MDs are in?

The PhD is in something along the lines of statistics, but I don't know for sure. He's a college professor, though. One MD is an emergency room doctor, the other is in addiction medicine.

The PhD is in something along the lines of statistics, but I don't know for sure. He's a college professor, though. One MD is an emergency room doctor, the other is in addiction medicine.

I wonder what the odds are of having two PhDs in stat on one forum? The MDs are great but out of curiosity how do you for sure they have these creds. I believe you but have they posted a picture of their degree?

i had a calculus professor that got his phd from nu. he said that attending the school was mildly humorous. it has the reputation for being one of the best educational institutions in the world, but they were still using cramped classrooms with chalkboards :icon_lol:

congratulations on getting accepted. i thought about applying there for their economics phd program, but i wasn't too sure i'd get accepted :redface:

I wonder what the odds are of having two PhDs in stat on one forum? The MDs are great but out of curiosity how do you for sure they have these creds. I believe you but have they posted a picture of their degree?

No, and I wouldn't be pretentious enough to ask them to. But, one I know for sure, for reasons that I won't post here. The other knows way too much to not be real.

I take that back. The PhD is in economics, IIRC.

Haha my favorite is the joke about the three mathmaticians. One pure, one applied, and one statistician. For a job interview they are each asked what is one-third times three. The applied mathematician goes ".9999999...", the pure math guy goes "1", and the statistician goes"That depends, what do you want it to be?"

Lol That was better than I expected from a math joke

Back