Judo vs Wrestling sparring

Under what rules? There's no unified rules.

At a high-performance level, you wil not see a world champion of a discipline, be a world champion in another discipline (and if there's an example, it's borderline and not representative of any sample size, so save the googling time).
It takes years (if not a lifetime) of specialization in training to perform at the elite. And rule sets are part of the specialization.

Even people who were elite at their sports, once they switch to another sport, they see their level decrease in the original discipline they were practicing.

An analogy i make to people who don't know much about combat sports:
Imagine all combat sports are "racing". In racing, there's Formula 1, 2, 3, rally, Nascar, drag racing, etc. There's no interchangeable champions between those different types of racing, either, just like in combat sports. They're all different and require specialization.

So in the end, unless you can manage to make an "even" ruleset for all... who cares if Galvao can beat Valuev in BJJ? Or if Karelin can beat Riner in Greco? Or if Vettel can beat Loeb on F1? The opposites would also happen if you switch the sports.

Interestingly enough, on 9th of december my SAMBO team will be participating at a grappling event, ESL in Guadalajara.
4 team format:
There's 10th Planet, Luta Livre, "ESL" (BJJ champions) and SAMBO.
5 guys per team. 400kg per team. 7 minute matches.

All submissions allowed.
Stand up fighting at least 1 minute.
Guard pulling= -1 point.
Throws and takedowns with high amplitude= 4 points
Guard pass = 3 points
Mount or back take = 4 points
Sweeps and low amplitude throws/takedowns = 2 points
Must stabilize positions for points for 3 seconds

If you submit your opponent, then another guy from the other team will enter to replace him. Can face/beat a maximum of two opponents.
The rules obviously favour BJJ heavily, since it's pretty much bjj with all subs allowed and a little extra for high amplitude takedowns.

I'll share some results.

Just to add:
Even in arts which share a LOT of things luke judo/sambo or MMA/Combat SAMBO, this rule still applies Sidelnikov, Nemkov, Mokhnatkin (Mikhail and Marina) are all almost unstoppable beasts in sambo but do just "good" in MMA.
The Kurzhev twins (Ali and Uali) are multiple times SAMBO world champions, and while they get international medals in judo in some big tournaments, they are not the no.1 choice for the judo olympic russian team.
Fedor Emelianenko lost in SAMBO before he started losing in MMA. Almost any and all coaches you talk to, thought it was only natural since he was focusing on MMA, not SAMBO.
Khabib, who is undefeated and smashes in MMA, was not a FIAS sambo world champion. He was a champion in some small combat sambo federation and he lost a few times in smaller tournaments.

Many BJJ "world champions" would not make it through a collegiate wrestling season without pinning themselves a hundred times against 17 year old kids. Yet they would submit the very same kids a few times per minute.

At a high-performance level, you wil not see a world champion of a discipline, be a world champion in another discipline (and if there's an example, it's borderline and not representative of any sample size, so save the googling time).
It takes years (if not a lifetime) of specialization in training to perform at the elite. And rule sets are part of the specialization.

Even people who were elite at their sports, once they switch to another sport, they see their level decrease in the original discipline they were practicing.
But bra, didn't you hear about all the wrestlers who dominated judo, so they took out leg grabs, bra? I read it on the internet once.

A great match between a wrestler and a judoka would have been Hideiko Yoshida vs Kevin Jackson in 1992.
Yoshida pure judoka, Jackson pure wrestler.
Both similar ages, both similar weight and height, both olympic and world champions.
The fight would have been in a UFC cage, Yoshida in judogi and using judo (throws, pins, chokes, armlocks), Jackson in singlet and using wrestling (throws and pins) without striking or cross training.

With a "pure contest" you'd surely have to favour the fighter with submissions in his background(especially as he was pretty good off of his back), doesn't automatically make it a superior base of course for cross training.

Jackson would've been allowed to wear his wrestling shoes as well.
Of course!
Randleman vs Nakamura
Hendo vs Arona
Chael vs Bryan Baker
Fedor vs Arona
Thiago Tavares vs Jason Black
Maximo Blanco vs Pat Healy
Karo vs Thiago Alves was pretty interesting bc it featured so many battles for position in the clinch. Both high level clinch fighters from totally different arts.
They are not pure praticioners, but they are all crosstrained.

Everyone with his own rules. For example Yoshida vs Jackson, pure wrestelr vs pure judoka, the first one in singlet and shoes can only uses wrestling throws and pins (no strikes, no chokes, no joint locks); the second one in judogi and using only judo. In 1992 they were alomst same age, almost same height and almost same weight.
Or, a similar match between Leininger and Jennum; same level, same size, same age, pure judo player vs pure ninjitsu player; both in gi.

Last edited:
Another great match (style vs style) possible today between a pure judoka and a pure wrestler would be Shohei Ono vs Jordan Burroughs.
Both World and Olympic Champions; almost same age, same experience, same height and same weight.
Burroughs in singlet and shoes, Ono in judogi; the first one using only wrestling (throws and pins) the second one using only judo (throws, pins, chokes and armbars); no striking, no crosstraining.
The fight would take place in a neutral ground, for example inside an UFC cage; so it isn't neither a judo tatami, nor a wrestling mat.
What do you think?

Did the wrestler score points for pinning the judo dudes shoulders to the mat?

Another great match (style vs style) possible today between a pure judoka and a pure wrestler would be Shohei Ono vs Jordan Burroughs.
Both World and Olympic Champions; almost same age, same experience, same height and same weight.
Burroughs in singlet and shoes, Ono in judogi; the first one using only wrestling (throws and pins) the second one using only judo (throws, pins, chokes and armbars); no striking, no crosstraining.
The fight would take place in a neutral ground, for example inside an UFC cage; so it isn't neither a judo tatami, nor a wrestling mat.
What do you think?
The match up is straight up retarded.
Do you even train?

Right!

For me MMA is retarded; I prefer single style vs single style. I am 3rd dan in Japanese ju jitsu.
As you seem to train in some sort of bullshido, I'll assume lack of real grappling experience. Ono would be at an insane disadvantage because he wouldn't be able to do his gi dependent judo moves while all the wrestling would works better against a judogi wearing opponent then someone wearing a singlet.
One would have a much bigger chance just in regular freestyle wrestling.
You might as well ask would win in japansese jiu jitsu vs nascar? The fight takes place on a giant concrete plain (200 meters away). The nascar driver is in his car you are in your gi and armed with any of the wooden medieval weapons from your dojo. The fight is to the death.

Last edited:
I think if you take a pure wrestler with limited bjj/judo experience vs a pure judo guy...the judo guy should win in most cases. Logic says that the wrestler may land more takedowns and/or keep top position but it also says that the wrestler will have limited avenues to finish his opponent. As in this case. Eventually, the judo guy will find a submission from his back.

Now, if we take a d-1 wrestler who's a orange belt or higher in judo and have him face a judo black belt with 1 year wrestling experience, the d-1 wrester may then have the advantage. It's all about cross-training. Obviously for 2 strict grapplers, the judo vs wrestling thing is interesting. Both are good at aspects that the other doesn't know. I still wager a wrestler will have more luck landing a takedown. But that's not to say the wrestler won't get tossed or tripped a few times.

Right!

For me MMA is retarded; I prefer single style vs single style. I am 3rd dan in Japanese ju jitsu.
MMA-as in the sense of the aspects used by mma fighters (wrestling, judo, bjj, muay thai, karate, KB, Boxing,etc) is the most effective style.

The problem with traditional/pure form of martial arts is that it's limited. You could be the best boxer on earth. But if you encounter a d-1 wrestler you're prob getting dropped on your head before you know it. On the flip side, if you're a d-1 wrestler and never took a strike, you could face a muay thai fighter and catch a knee to the chin and it be over before you start.

If a person chooses to pick 1 style to use, for me it would be bjj or judo. Next would be wrestling. Point is, I favor the grappling arts over striking arts.

I think if you take a pure wrestler with limited bjj/judo experience vs a pure judo guy...the judo guy should win in most cases. Logic says that the wrestler may land more takedowns and/or keep top position but it also says that the wrestler will have limited avenues to finish his opponent. As in this case. Eventually, the judo guy will find a submission from his back.
I assumed he wanted to the fight to go under asymmetrical judo/wrestling rules with pins or ippons or tech falls being fight enders.

I assumed he wanted to the fight to go under asymmetrical judo/wrestling rules with pins or ippons or tech falls being fight enders.
well yea that changes it altogether and prob favors the wrestler.

In terms of grappling I'm always curious as to what's more important, is it the art of the practitioner? I mean obviously both play a factor but which is more important? I think in most cases it's the practitioner and not necessarily their style. Assuming we're comparing similar ranked/experienced guys in their respective arts.

In mma, i've seen wrestlers dominate bjj players and judo guys. I've also seen bjj players beat elite wrestlers and judo guys. And i've seen judo guys beat both bjj and wrestling. Under mma rules it's a lot different though.

Another judo olympian defeated :

Last edited:
Back