Jose Aldo isn’t mentioned enough as a P4P Great by the company and others

The Conor loss really affected people's perception of him, that's just the reality

It's also he doesn't speak engrish and bad losses. Not enough news coverage on him. It is like Shogun isn't on any GOAT talk for even LHW even though he had both Pride and UFC belts.

Agree with OP, he's done a lot more than khabib

Every week, actually.
  1. Everyone has him in the top 10.
  2. Most have him in the top 6.
  3. Some have him in the top 3.
And every week, someone in that 3rd category makes this thread.
Really? Because there’s a good number of people that don’t even rate him as the top 145er, and consider max Holloway to be the best in that division. In fact, it’s loudly proclaimed by the ufc on almost every Holloway broadcast.

He may not be spoken of much in the all time GOAT discussions as THE GOAT. But he gets plenty of love on here for his work at 145.

You haven't got to wait 10yrs, I can tell you, you are wrong now

Aldo got beaten in his prime by multiple fighters, khabib barely lost a round, he barely lost an exchange, he is deservedly seen as ahead of Aldo

Not on Sherdog. There was a poll recently.

Its funny seeing Conor nuthuggers hype up Aldo now

He’s just Edson barboza in a better weight class

sad reality is that MMA fans expect you to be as good throughout your career. nobody cares about 'mileage'. Aldo is currently 35 and therefor should be just now fading from his prime. People just point to Jan and Glover like 'hey these guys got old and they are fighting for a title and cleaning up new fighters'.

Nobody knew aldo until conor starched him.
he gets the title back by beating frankie
holloway utterly dominates him twice
he moves to 135 and gets destroyed by Yan.

To the casual fan.. it looks like he got easy fights in the WEC days. Then destroyed once he faced top UFC guys. His best win was arguably chad mendes and frankie.

Aldo is awesome and he is like a billion times slower and flat footed than he was in WEC days, and he still has a great record in UFC.

Really? Because there’s a good number of people that don’t even rate him as the top 145er, and consider max Holloway to be the best in that division. In fact, it’s loudly proclaimed by the ufc on almost every Holloway broadcast.
I've seen lots of people call Max a 145 goat. even Conor.

But I've never seen an honest GOAT list with Max or Conor higher than Aldo. Maybe they exist, but more likely some people are just talking off the cuff and haven't ever actually thought it through.

Let's say this. More people think humans never stepped foot on the moon, than have Aldo outside the top 10.

Is the same true of Anderson Silva (Weidman, Bisping, Isreal, Cannonier....)

Fedor (Bigfoot, Weidman, Hendo)?

I guess what I'm really asking is, do you really believe that no matter how dominant a guy is for 6-8 years, it doesn't matter if they lose big after that dominance?
Not the same. Aldo losses where still on his prime.

I'd say he's top 10, with the possibility of moving into the top 5 if he keeps looking like he did in his last fight. Getting slept by McGregor in the first exchange and two bad losses to Holloway were big setbacks in the Goat discussion though. And no, I don't really buy the argument that he was out of his prime. He was 29, 30, and 31 during those three fights. Even if he was "older" than most fighters are at those ages, that's still too young for that kind of talk imo.

I've seen lots of people call Max a 145 goat. even Conor.

But I've never seen an honest GOAT list with Max or Conor higher than Aldo. Maybe they exist, but more likely some people are just talking off the cuff and haven't ever actually thought it through.

Let's say this. More people think humans never stepped foot on the moon, than have Aldo outside the top 10.
I can tell you with absolute certainty I’ve sat here on sherdog and battled in the trenches with many posters convinced max Holloway is top 10 p4p all time, and is the 145 GOAT.

I think you’d be surprised. But I do think the fans who were present through the entire aldo run tend to lean his way

I can tell you with absolute certainty I’ve sat here on sherdog and battled in the trenches with many posters convinced max Holloway is top 10 p4p all time, and is the 145 GOAT.

I think you’d be surprised. But I do think the fans who were present through the entire aldo run tend to lean his way
I take your word for it. Cheers. And a good time to leave this thread that I never meant to get too involved in.

Last edited:
He was awesome and so well rounded. Top three goat for me.

For a while there I believe he would have taken and won the 155 belt too. He had the skill level and performances to back up a good claim for being the best fighter below 155.
He most certainly would have won the LW belt if he would have gone up during his initial FW reign. Frankie beat him multiple times, Pettis he would have been favored over. I would have favored him over Bendo. RDA is the only person I wouldn’t have been extremely confident he’d beat.

Back