Jose Aldo isn’t mentioned enough as a P4P Great by the company and others

He is a p4p great but will never be in the top discussions because of his losses to McGregor and Max Holloway.

He's 35 with 37 fights under his belt. That's slightly above average, but not much compared to Gerald Meerschaert who is 33 with 47 fights under his belt or Anthony Smith who is also 33 with 52 fights and fought way, way bigger men.
Or Israel Adesanya who is 32 and has 100 fights!
The mileage narrative never gets old.

He's a great fighter, but he's a little guy! No one is calling Spudd Webb the greatest basketball player of all time.
The difference is and a big difference at that is Aldo was fighting the best for a very long time most of his career and without losing. Anthony and GM3 have fought mostly cans and have plenty of losses. Context is important.

It was really only him and GSP in the P2P goat contention up to the Conor loss.

jose-aldo-ufc.gif

His streak of title defences is something that will likely never be repeated in FW history.

The Conor fight sucked but there’s evidence to say that he might have performed differently in a rematch.

He is still relevant in the title picture today!

With his ridiculous mileage.

War Aldo.

Him and Anderson are a dying breed. They will fight forever.
He was never that good

Gets it from who, Yan? I’d love to see it. But there’s next to no chance that this happens.

We'll see, I think he could take a decision off Yan if he can manage his cardio. Unlike Max, Yan is a pressure fighter but his output is not high. Wouldn't be easy, but I think Aldo could beat him. Skillwise, he's equal to Yan.

and yet Anderson was 1 - 7 -1 in his last 9 fights? please explain.

Explain what?

Anderson Silva was what, 38 years old when he lost to Weidman? Jose was still in his 20s when he got starched by Conor in 13 seconds, and in his early 30s when he got destroyed by Holloway twice.

That's the difference. The public accepted that Anderson was washed up for his 1-7-1 run. It's hard to argue Aldo was washed up when he was 29.

Aldo couldn't adapt to Holloway and got finished the same way, same round twice in a row. Even McGregor (who I am NO fan of) came back better against Nate in the rematch.

I agree with the OP. He isn't revered in the same way as Anderson/GSP/Jones and now Khabib.

Though to be fair, Demetrious is barely revered either.
yeah my top three AT are GSP, Aldo and MM

I think a big part of it is that Dana just never liked Aldo and that was always kind of obvious in the early days of his championship. They resented him for not learning english and they hated having to promote him.

yeah my top three AT are GSP, Aldo and MM

I think a big part of it is that Dana just never liked Aldo and that was always kind of obvious in the early days of his championship. They resented him for not learning english and they hated having to promote him.
I think they preferred having Aldo as champion compared to the charisma-less Volkanovski.

I'm guilty of it myself, even though I'm a fan of Aldo.

I think Aldo was slowing down by the second Mendes fight. His reflexes and speed were killed apart from that WEC run.
I would tend to agree. I don't think he was ever the same after the motorcycle accident to be honest. I think people forget how many years he has been fighting too. Not from a mileage perspective, but more that MMA has changed a lot since he started. The ability to adapt his fighting style and reinvent himself is pretty impressive.

Guys in the smaller weight classes will never get the same recognition as the big men, you also have the issue where he refused to learn any English for many years, that limited his marketing and the push he got from the company. True MMA fans know who he is but most casuals will not due to limited marketability.

I think Aldo was slowing down by the second Mendes fight. His reflexes and speed were miles apart from that WEC run.
He definitely has declined speed wise but he has look good in his last few fights reflex and speed wise.

He definitely has declined speed wise but he has look good in his last few fights reflex and speed wise.

He's declined significantly. It speaks to how good he was and how ridiculous he was as an athlete.

He's declined significantly. It speaks to how good he was and how ridiculous he was as an athlete.
You don't think he is looking a little better in his last two fights? he seemed to really slow down for a few and while not as fast as his early days he seems to have found some quicker movement and reflexes in the last few fights.

Back