Jones testing positive isn't the scandal. The UFC's response to it is.

What should they have done? Iole has an article saying since he didnt break the rules if UFC tried to keep him from fighting he could have got an injunction to let him fight.

They have a contract with him and he didnt break teh rules.

Not according to the UFC Code of Conduct. I won't admonish Jones for what he does in private, but the UFC is sending a very strong message by not doing anything. They're pretty lucky that they don't get the same media attention other organizations do or they would be crucified by the media.

Not according to the UFC Code of Conduct. I won't admonish Jones for what he does in private, but the UFC is sending a very strong message by not doing anything. They're pretty lucky that they don't get the same media attention other organizations do or they would be crucified by the media.

Dustin Johnson was suspended by the pga for 6 months after his 3rd positive cocaine test. Was that a scandal?

Are you sure about that?

Exactly what marijuana incidents are you talking about?

An important difference might be that this wasn't actually a violation, which is why there is no penalty from the NVAC.

Of course i'm not sure, but it seems like most people are willing to turn a blind eye to drug use that they partake/partook in, but remain critical of any that they dislike for whatever reason. I feel like you can see that in their response to each violation. I could be reaching though.

But i do understand that part of the difference is that you can't place when the weed was smoked, where as you can pinpoint whether they were using on the night of the fight with cocaine. Easier to prove it was only "out of competition" use.

Most UFC fans don't care, they just want to see good fights.

Of course i'm not sure, but it seems like most people are willing to turn a blind eye to drug use that they partake/partook in, but remain critical of any that they dislike for whatever reason. I feel like you can see that in their response to each violation. I could be reaching though.

But i do understand that part of the difference is that you can't place when the weed was smoked, where as you can pinpoint whether they were using on the night of the fight with cocaine. Easier to prove it was only "out of competition" use.

It's just how long the markers stay in the system.

Yeah, this is an issues, I mean how corrupt is the UFC/Zuffa?

It's not fair to other fighters who lost income because they were punished.

Dustin Johnson was suspended by the pga for 6 months after his 3rd positive cocaine test. Was that a scandal?

It actually was. Unless you're comparing it to the type of attention the issue would get if it were more someone more well-known like Woods, McIlroy or Mickelson.

Everyone is being retarded about this jones thing. He didn't do shit wrong, the NAC shouldn't even have administered the test for street drugs. Not good for his image but he's not going to be punished, nor should he be.

The fuck is wrong with you people?

100% agree.
If they treated him like every other fighter instead of giving him preferred treatment i would understand.

This guy has gotten a DUI, been involved in a street fight with another competitor in the lobby of the UFC's most reputable venue, has a cocaine issue, acted like a jerk in his post fight interview, etc.

Jones is far from satan, but he's gotten away with a lot of shit and they just keep singing this kid's praises. He's a stellar athlete but his attitude is making the sport look atrocious

damagecontrol.gif.gif.gif

Defends jones for this...

But shits on squeeky clean GSP for retiring.

The UFC are treating it as if he is a man with a problem with a drug. They're obviously not going to kick him to the curb and leave him on his own to deal with this.

They're acting responsibly in letting him have the time he needs to get his shit sorted.

If anyone knows anything about addicts, you've got to handle them with care sometimes. If he loses his job, why would he want to seek help? It'd only make things worse.

Hate on the UFC for other shit. They're acting like human beings with Jon Jones, and I think that's great.

Parents enroll kids in martial arts to keep them away from shit like gangs and drugs, and to have them develop confidence in themselves. If the greatest active martial artist alive is a cokehead, thats a shitty example to set for these young martial artists who are no doubt fans of mma.

MMA is an illegal sport for the gangs and their wannabes.
That's why there is no Reebok/Zuffa boycott brigade which should be happening now nationwide.

Look man. I don't like Jones. I think he's an awful caricature of a champion.

But he's still a human being. He should NOT be getting in the ring if he has substance abuse issues that the league itself knows about. It puts him in serious danger.

The fact that the UFC waited until after the fight to address this is despicable.

Chuck was doing much more than Jones and didn't go to rehab. Doing a line at a club doesn't warrant being called an addict or going to rehab. But in America if you get caught and are a celebrity you go to ducking rehab. Which is an expensive hotel and nothing else.

I think immediately going to rehab is the difference. Tougher to fire a guy that is protecting his and his employers reputation by pretending to have a problem he needs help with instead of the fact he just likes to party.

Especially when he vanishes to rehab the day before this PED controversy took over the internet.

The NSAC was not supposed to test for recreational drugs. They fucked up and Jones should sue.

The NSAC was not supposed to test for recreational drugs. They fucked up and Jones should sue.

Were they not supposed to test only because it was "out of competition" or due to a new policy? Why did they test Guillard?

Were they not supposed to test only because it was "out of competition" or due to a new policy? Why did they test Guillard?

They weren't supposed to test because it was out-of-competition ie. not supposed to test for coke, weed, aspirin, cold/flu medication etc.

Guillard was an in-competition test (he was popped on a post-fight drug test). You need to be pretty much completely clean for in-competition testing.

Why are people talking about cocaine like it's weed? It's a deadly, addictive narcotic that ruins lives.

He's not some random asshole who does a lil coke and works 9-5. He's the greatest active martial artist alive and a known champion. If you don't think this is a big deal, you obviously are not looking at this properly.

Parents enroll kids in martial arts to keep them away from shit like gangs and drugs, and to have them develop confidence in themselves. If the greatest active martial artist alive is a cokehead, thats a shitty example to set for these young martial artists who are no doubt fans of mma.

And yeah I don't like how UFC is playing damage control instead of doing the right thing and looking deeper in. It is no different than NFL seeing that rice footage and not doing anything about it until it got leaked. Shady shady.

This. Very good post.

COuldn't agree more ^

UFC is not doing the right thing

It actually was. Unless you're comparing it to the type of attention the issue would get if it were more someone more well-known like Woods, McIlroy or Mickelson.

what was the scandal???

did the media come down hard on the pga for not having any penalties for the first 2 failed tests?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back