Jones testing positive isn't the scandal. The UFC's response to it is.

Test pos for coke
possibly ducked a test
low T/E levels

Clearly the UFC is at fault.

For what it's worth they are all shady as fuck

QFT, The UFC is completely corrupt. I cant see myself watching any of their shows anymore.

Why are people talking about cocaine like it's weed? It's a deadly, addictive narcotic that ruins lives.

He's not some random asshole who does a lil coke and works 9-5. He's the greatest active martial artist alive and a known champion. If you don't think this is a big deal, you obviously are not looking at this properly.

Parents enroll kids in martial arts to keep them away from shit like gangs and drugs, and to have them develop confidence in themselves. If the greatest active martial artist alive is a cokehead, thats a shitty example to set for these young martial artists who are no doubt fans of mma.

And yeah I don't like how UFC is playing damage control instead of doing the right thing and looking deeper in. It is no different than NFL seeing that rice footage and not doing anything about it until it got leaked. Shady shady.

I 100% agree.

And am I the only one that considers Coke a PED? Have you seen the motherfuckers on Cops that are on Coke/PCP? They can get taze'd and pepper-sprayed and offer an extreme amount of resistance. Their perception of pain is either gone or distorted.

Even though the nsac wont suspend him, the Ufc need to make a statement here. You cant have a champion making poor decisions like this. Reputation not only of the company but a role model to kids is at stake here.

I honestly feel he needs to be made a example of. Strip him of the title and suspend him

Unless Jones is unable to perform the duties of his contract or fails the drug tests, I would figure that it would be tough to just strip him of his title. A nasty law suit could occur if they did what you are saying (but it depends how the contracts are written). The UFC could end up in a big lose lose situation. They lose a big money making fighter and they lose money to lawyers.

What should they have done? Iole has an article saying since he didnt break the rules if UFC tried to keep him from fighting he could have got an injunction to let him fight.

They have a contract with him and he didnt break teh rules.

Driving drunk and snorting lines aren't always exclusive my friend. And yeah I think we have different view points on this. I think athletes and champions should be held to a higher standard than regular joes.

All in all, makes me appreciate the golden years of gsp/Anderson even more.

Why? Playing a sport doesn't mean you're some sort of perfect human being. It means you're good at sports. Charles Barkley even said that he wasn't a role model. Jon painted himself as such so he should hold himself to a higher standard, but being famous shouldn't put standards on you that other people don't have.

Why? Playing a sport doesn't mean you're some sort of perfect human being. It means you're good at sports. Charles Barkley even said that he wasn't a role model. Jon painted himself as such so he should hold himself to a higher standard, but being famous shouldn't put standards on you that other people don't have.

Yes it does

Jones was a terrible role model for kids anyway, driving drunk is worse than just doing coke.

I'm not saying I don't appreciate the good role models the sport has like Pettis, Cain or DC, but it's a parent's job to teach kids not to idolize behaviors like this.

I'm one of those "legalize everything" people so I doubt we're going to agree here but I don't think what he does in his private time is any of our business.

It truly isn't any of our business what he does on his private time, but what if it no longer remains private?

The issue here isn't what the hell he's doing really, it's just that nothing is really being done about it. The UFC should try to hold itself above other huge sports and even act more respectable, especially when it's still trying to legalize in a bunch of other states. Damage control like this isn't helping, because it's contradicting.

The UFC is just in a really tight spot as a promotion considering that love him or hate him Jones is still one of the sports top draws, but brushing the issue aside while people are fired or suspended for similar or less important issues is not appropriate.

Jones should at least take some form of suspension if anything, even if it's to help the UFC save face because it makes people lose faith in the sport.

Excellent points in this thread

Prove that Jones has substance abuse issues. Unless his post-fight test comes back with coke as well, one instance of coke doesn't constitute abuse or addiction. He may do it once every year when he is on Thanksgiving holiday for all the UFC knows.

EDIT* My point isn't to argue that he doesn't have a problem but to say the UFC's hands are tied. Jones didn't violate his contract.

The NSAC may not be free to punish him, but the UFC certainly. They can fine him or suspend him based on their code of conduct.

I am much more interested in his t/e levels that seem to strongly suggest PED usage. The UFC has not made any statement about that as far as I am aware.

Basically, nothing wrong with a little coke. But the UFC past antics and this? They're shady as fuck.

don`t think it`s a little coke. Major athlete being caught and going to rehab. It seems more then a little coke.

But who now, maybe Jones is really unlucky in the social media

This guy has gotten a DUI, been involved in a street fight with another competitor in the lobby of the UFC's most reputable venue, has a cocaine issue, acted like a jerk in his post fight interview, etc.

His suggesting the women Cosby raped should've been so lucky as to get some Cosby action was a nice touch, too.

What should they have done? Iole has an article saying since he didnt break the rules if UFC tried to keep him from fighting he could have got an injunction to let him fight.

They have a contract with him and he didnt break teh rules.

He must have never read the UFC's code of conduct, which gives the UFC broad discretion to punish fighters for just this type of thing.

I understand why the UFC did not want to stop the fight or to punish Jon, but it is not because they have no legal means to do so.

100% agree.
If they treated him like every other fighter instead of giving him preferred treatment i would understand.

This guy has gotten a DUI, been involved in a street fight with another competitor in the lobby of the UFC's most reputable venue, has a cocaine issue, acted like a jerk in his post fight interview, etc.

Jones is far from satan, but he's gotten away with a lot of shit and they just keep singing this kid's praises. He's a stellar athlete but his attitude is making the sport look atrocious

And Cormier never acted like a jackass? GTFO. They both acted like jerks. Who cares. That has nothing to do with a positive test for cocaine metabolites.

Driving drunk and snorting lines aren't always exclusive my friend. And yeah I think we have different view points on this. I think athletes and champions should be held to a higher standard than regular joes.

All in all, makes me appreciate the golden years of gsp/Anderson even more.

Don't forget tyson, Leonard, de la Hoya, calzaghe, hatton, Whitaker, Pryor, arguello, etc.

And Cormier never acted like a jackass? GTFO. They both acted like jerks. Who cares. That has nothing to do with a positive test for cocaine metabolites.

It's accumulative. Google that word.
Jones fans gone full derp

He must have never read the UFC's code of conduct, which gives the UFC broad discretion to punish fighters for just this type of thing.

I understand why the UFC did not want to stop the fight or to punish Jon, but it is not because they have no legal means to do so.

He was tested for something he shouldn't have been tested for. What is the legal means?

Again, other fighters flaunt their drug use. It's a non issue. Unless you violate the commission rules.

Zuffa been shady, yo. This isn't Fisher Price.

They knew the guy was a coke head and decided to let him fight then check into drug rehab afterward. That's hilarious. Imagine the shit storm if it happened in any other context.

"We knew he had a coke problem, but we needed the manpower to fight that fire and run in that building, so he went in and saved that family. We checked him to rehab right after."

"We knew our surgeon had a coke problem, but he was scheduled for brain surgery. We couldn't feasibly find a replacement in time, so in he went."

"We knew our man had a coke problem, but we'd be down a man for the SWAT raid. He did a good job raiding that meth lab and we checked him into rehab later."

"I know our professor was addicted to coke, but we had a final scheduled. It's incredibly inconvenient to reschedule during finals week, so we let it go."

Etc etc.

I know prize fighting isn't rocket science, but it's still hilariously shady as fuck. To be fair, if I were in Zuffa's shoes, I would do the exact same thing. Gotta make dat paper, son.

He was tested for something he shouldn't have been tested for. What is the legal means?

Again, other fighters flaunt their drug use. It's a non issue. Unless you violate the commission rules.

He was tested for something he should not have been tested for by the NSAC. They had no legal recourse, as I already said.

What the UFC is able to do is an entirely different story.

The UFC is free to sanction fighters under their quite broadly phrased code of conduct. Jones going into rehab a week after his biggest fight cuts against the grain of this, for example: "Fighters shall conduct themselves in accordance with commonly accepted standards of decency, social convention, and morals, and fighters will not commit any act or become involved in any situation or occurrence or make any statement which will reflect negatively upon or bring disrepute, contempt, scandal, ridicule or disdain to the fighter or the UFC."

Back