Jones testing positive isn't the scandal. The UFC's response to it is.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by BullyKutta, Jan 7, 2015.

1. BullyKutta

BullyKutta Yellow Belt

End of story.

Imagine this scenario:

Jones rails a pencil length line of coke prior to the fight and suffers a heart attack in the ring.

The legal shitstorm would be like a plague of locusts descending upon Zuffa.

2. SlicerDM

SlicerDM Peace is a lie, there is only passion Double Yellow Card

Basically, nothing wrong with a little coke. But the UFC past antics and this? They're shady as fuck.

3. Forbiden1

Forbiden1 Green Belt

You were on the right track by the thread title, but you really dropped the ball with the post. The UFC's behavior is clearly concerning.

4. Da Speeit

Da Speeit CANCEROUS POSTER Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    100% agree.
    If they treated him like every other fighter instead of giving him preferred treatment i would understand.

This guy has gotten a DUI, been involved in a street fight with another competitor in the lobby of the UFC's most reputable venue, has a cocaine issue, acted like a jerk in his post fight interview, etc.

Jones is far from satan, but he's gotten away with a lot of shit and they just keep singing this kid's praises. He's a stellar athlete but his attitude is making the sport look atrocious

5. Jawth

Jawth Silver Belt

The testosterone ratio is far more concerning.

I don't really give a fuck is a guy wants to snort some coke though it does make him look even more hypocritical.

6. BullyKutta

BullyKutta Yellow Belt

Look man. I don't like Jones. I think he's an awful caricature of a champion.

But he's still a human being. He should NOT be getting in the ring if he has substance abuse issues that the league itself knows about. It puts him in serious danger.

The fact that the UFC waited until after the fight to address this is despicable.

7. Why are people talking about cocaine like it's weed? It's a deadly, addictive narcotic that ruins lives.

He's not some random asshole who does a lil coke and works 9-5. He's the greatest active martial artist alive and a known champion. If you don't think this is a big deal, you obviously are not looking at this properly.

Parents enroll kids in martial arts to keep them away from shit like gangs and drugs, and to have them develop confidence in themselves. If the greatest active martial artist alive is a cokehead, thats a shitty example to set for these young martial artists who are no doubt fans of mma.

And yeah I don't like how UFC is playing damage control instead of doing the right thing and looking deeper in. It is no different than NFL seeing that rice footage and not doing anything about it until it got leaked. Shady shady.

8. oldschoolmmafan

oldschoolmmafan PEOPLE=SHIT

The UFC only cares about "the money, dollar dollar bill ya'll", not their fighters just like the great Fedor Emelianenko once said.

9. neandertal

neandertal Silver Belt

Lol, great journalism on UFC Tonight just now. A joke. 1 minute and move on.

10. Jawth

Jawth Silver Belt

Jones was a terrible role model for kids anyway, driving drunk is worse than just doing coke.

I'm not saying I don't appreciate the good role models the sport has like Pettis, Cain or DC, but it's a parent's job to teach kids not to idolize behaviors like this.

I'm one of those "legalize everything" people so I doubt we're going to agree here but I don't think what he does in his private time is any of our business.

11. ocean size

ocean size Black Belt

I think immediately going to rehab is the difference. Tougher to fire a guy that is protecting his and his employers reputation by pretending to have a problem he needs help with instead of the fact he just likes to party.

None of the fighters testing positive for MJ would be taken seriously if they admitted a problem and hurried to rehab so they didnt have that benefit.

Doesn't hurt that he is a decent ppv draw even as the heel.

12. BullyKutta

BullyKutta Yellow Belt

The fact that Cormier made a paltry 90k underscores this fact.

Where it all goes from here is anyone's guess, but I suspect that the UFC is only shades away from being in full Don King territory.

13. MayhemMonkey

MayhemMonkey Titanium Belt

totally agree(with the thread title, your analogy sucked tho lol)

I still dont get the UFC's position at all? its really strange imo

14. RockShox1**

RockShox1** Green Belt

Test pos for coke
    possibly ducked a test
    low T/E levels

Clearly the UFC is at fault.

For what it's worth they are all shady as fuck

15. Kingz

Kingz Gold Belt

It's not the money. It's the money.

16. Driving drunk and snorting lines aren't always exclusive my friend. And yeah I think we have different view points on this. I think athletes and champions should be held to a higher standard than regular joes.

All in all, makes me appreciate the golden years of gsp/Anderson even more.

17. faustian

faustian THE LOOSE CANNON Platinum Member

[​IMG]

18. assclown18

assclown18 Yellow Belt

Even though the nsac wont suspend him, the Ufc need to make a statement here. You cant have a champion making poor decisions like this. Reputation not only of the company but a role model to kids is at stake here.

I honestly feel he needs to be made a example of. Strip him of the title and suspend him

19. Da Speeit

Da Speeit CANCEROUS POSTER Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    we're speaking in terms of the UFC of course.
    I have the athletic hierarchy on my wall to always have the my scale of reference a glance away

20. SherdogFan23

SherdogFan23 Brown Belt

Prove that Jones has substance abuse issues. Unless his post-fight test comes back with coke as well, one instance of coke doesn't constitute abuse or addiction. He may do it once every year when he is on Thanksgiving holiday for all the UFC knows.

EDIT* My point isn't to argue that he doesn't have a problem but to say the UFC's hands are tied. Jones didn't violate his contract.