Jones performance overrated...

So Jones didn't look impressive yet he still beat DC 4-1...

Imagine if he did look impressive....

This was supposed to be the guy that dominated Jones and threw him all over the cage, yet Jones beat him at his own game.

Beat him at his own game? Cormier consistently landed solid punches in the clinch for nearly 3 rds. Cormier gased in the 4th and nothing happend at all in the 5th. Cormier lost the fight more than Jones won.Jones got exposed and took way too many clean punches.

If this was a non-title fight I could easily see a split decision for cormier. Championship doctrine was in full effect - the close rounds went to Jones

Wouldn't overrated relates to someone who has lost?

In wrestling terms, Jones CRUSHED DC and DC knows it.

In the overall mma fight scheme of things, I don't think it was a bad loss for DC. He was never in any danger even after he gased. I think if they rematch and DC comes in cool headed, focused and not angry, he'll perform much better. Jones' taunting and mind games broke him before the fight even started.

I agree TS. DC did not show up. He put too much pressure on himself.

Going into the bout it looked like it would a big win but DC looked like a guy who peaked for 6 minute wrestling matches not 25 minute fights aged 35 and guys with 12 inches of reach on him.

How come a fighter who was like 23 fighting legends for world titles never felt the pressure but this mature Olympian did?

Also crazy how top-5 HW's never made Cormeir look like a short armed over the hill fighter.

He beat a man previously thought to be unbeatable at his own game and made it look easy. Only the scummiest of haters could find that unimpressive.

In wrestling terms, Jones CRUSHED DC and DC knows it.

In the overall mma fight scheme of things, I don't think it was a bad loss for DC. He was never in any danger even after he gased. I think if they rematch and DC comes in cool headed, focused and not angry, he'll perform much better. Jones' taunting and mind games broke him before the fight even started.

inb4 Sherdog Psychologists.

Too late:icon_sad:

Considering some people actually think he'd do the same to Cain says that it's an overrated performance.

Heh TS sounds like DC did at the Presser.... on the verge of tears cause he sucks at what he tried to do.

Wouldn't overrated relates to someone who has lost?

Maybe these people mean an entire division that never took Cormier down or won a single round off of him is overrated. Who knows maybe they mean the guy Cormeir is wrestling trainer for & goes toe to toe with sparring everyday is overrated.

I didn't get to see the fight live, but I kept up with it on social media, and Sherdog.

After watching the fight the day after, in NO WAY did Jones live up to the performance all these fair-weather fans were posting about.

Yes, Jones out struck DC 92-58, and got 3 takedowns, but one of those takedowns came off of a sloppy kick thrown by DC in the 1st. Nothing spectacular at all.

Of the heaviest punches landed, DC landed 3 uppercuts that would have sent most people time-traveling, and a monster slam in the 5th.

I understand Jones won the fight 49-46 on all 3 cards, but even that is too favorable.

I went back to look at the fight and see Bones' dominant performance, and what I saw was a fight I scored 48-47 for Jones, because he is Champ. To beat the Champ you have to take the belt, and DC didn't do that. But if it were a non-title fight, there could have easily been an argument for a draw.

Front runners, and over excited commentating really blew Jones performance out of proportion.

You call that a "monster" slam? That was more like a "drop" where you drop a cat and it lands on its feet. Jones officially got three take downs, but there was that sweet throw that ended the third round, I believe, where he squashed his head. Remember that? None of DCs strikes hurt Jones but Jones wobbled DC in the first round. A lot of Jones' strikes I think would have hurt lesser chins even more. Remember, DC has gone his entire career without taking appreciable damage in any of his fights. So, if Jones' chin helped him weather what DC had, so did DCs. And all he really had was some uppercuts and a few overhands early in the fight, which Jones was able to move away from, with a couple exceptions, to reduce much of their effectiveness, where as Jones landed some good punches, nasty elbows, head kicks, and PUNISHING body shots.

How many fights can you call to mind where one guy out struck the other by 92-58 and the one winning out on strikes handily won on control and take downs also, where you thought it was a draw? DC clearly lost. You don't want to consider it a blow out, fine. But get real with calling it deserving of a draw. That's just stupid. I guess all three judges had it 49-46 and every single media organization that you are likely to find scored it AT LEAST 48-47 for Jones, with most everyone actually giving Jones every round but the 2nd, is just bias? Cause Jones is such a media and fan favorite, eh? Yeah, that must be it. The only people making arguments like yours are fans, most of them uneducated in terms of judging and MMA. That's basically the lowest rung of judgement.

Last edited:
inb4 Sherdog Psychologists.

Too late:icon_sad:

It's not really psychology man. Guys who try to get the finish and don't conserve energy usually lose a decision. Jones trolled DC hard the entire fight and it worked. DC wanted to punish him and didn't pace himself. Eventually he was so gotten to that he cared more about getting one takedown than winning rounds.

I didn't get to see the fight live, but I kept up with it on social media, and Sherdog.

After watching the fight the day after, in NO WAY did Jones live up to the performance all these fair-weather fans were posting about.

Yes, Jones out struck DC 92-58, and got 3 takedowns, but one of those takedowns came off of a sloppy kick thrown by DC in the 1st. Nothing spectacular at all.

Of the heaviest punches landed, DC landed 3 uppercuts that would have sent most people time-traveling, and a monster slam in the 5th.

I understand Jones won the fight 49-46 on all 3 cards, but even that is too favorable.

I went back to look at the fight and see Bones' dominant performance, and what I saw was a fight I scored 48-47 for Jones, because he is Champ. To beat the Champ you have to take the belt, and DC didn't do that. But if it were a non-title fight, there could have easily been an argument for a draw.

Front runners, and over excited commentating really blew Jones performance out of proportion.

I totally agree, Jones looked horrible.

I don't think the feat was overrated. He rightfully beat a great fighter in Cormier. I think the margin of victory is exaggerated by many, but beating Cormier in any way is extremely impressive and tough to overrate.

He showed his dominance in wrestling against the best wrestler in MMA. Cormier tried liked hell to get a takedown and barely got 1 if it even counted. Cormier was taken down in like the first minute and at least 3 times after that.

I equate Jones outwrestling Cormier to Gonzaga headkick KO over CroCop.

Lot of truth here. This wasn't a domination in the sense that DC just got completely wrecked, like Cain did to JDS. But this was the guy everyone was saying tossed around Barnett like a child, so Jones was gonna go flying. I admit even I thought Cormier would get some takedowns if he closed the distance and got his hands on him. But seeing Jones not only initiate but thoroughly beat DC in the clinch, stuff his takedowns, defend his slam and take DC down multiple times was quite surprising.

This is akin to Fedors performance against Cro Cop. To everyones surprise, he not only stood with Cro Cop, but outstruck him. Cro Cop survived, got his own licks in and wasn't dominated, but decisively beaten at his own game. To most, that was one of Fedors best performances. But for Jones, it's "overrated".

Last edited:
Beat him at his own game? Cormier consistently landed solid punches in the clinch for nearly 3 rds. Cormier gased in the 4th and nothing happend at all in the 5th. Cormier lost the fight more than Jones won.Jones got exposed and took way too many clean punches.

If this was a non-title fight I could easily see a split decision for cormier. Championship doctrine was in full effect - the close rounds went to Jones

Haters+Gonna+Hate+08.jpg

Jones's performance was nothing less but great. By saying his performance against DC was overrated, your saying DC is a chump and doesn't deserve to be in the same cage as Jones basically. DC was a real threat and was very tough for Bones to defeat. Cormier pressured Jones the whole fight and had some really good moments in that fight along side of Bones.

Jones's performance was awesome imo, if it wasn't, then DC would have dominated Saturday night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back