Jones performance overrated...

That's one way to look at the fight and you're entitled to your opinion. It's kind of like when someone watches your favorite comedy, turns to you at the end and says "I don't get it."

The fight was impressive for a number of reasons. No one had seen DC get taken down before. Within the first minute of the first round, DC was on the ground with Jon on his back. Call it a trip from a leg kick all you want, DC was on the ground and Jon was on top of him. In another round Jon took him down twice. Some may argue that Jon let DC back up simply to put him on his butt again.

For a guy who was saying "if I want to take you down 100 times, I'm going to take you down 100 times", and watch him work so hard on a single leg only for Jon to stuff it completely, that's impressive.

To see Jon's clinch game evolve once again, this too is impressive. Nobody controls DC on the cage or reverses the grappling position on DC...again, impressive.

Seeing Jon take some of the uppercuts that DC threw at him in the first 2 rounds, solidifying once again that Jon has a solid chin, is impressive.

To see Jon toss DC to the ground and then "son" him at the end of the third round I believe is also impressive.

So TS, it's all about perspective and realizing just how important the little things are in a fight at this level.

Cormier was a two-time olympic wrestler and olympic team captain. Cain's training partner and the uncrowned number 2 heavyweight who ragdolls elite fighters like Barnett and Hendo. He is arguably the top wrestler in MMA along with Askren. Jones outwrestled the supposed top wrestler in MMA who placed 4th in the olympics and ragdolled an elite HW grappler Barnett; and is overrated? Give me a break lol

He didn't say the win was overrated. He said the dominant manner of performance he'd heard about was. Wish people would listen

Oh and at the end of the 4th he ragdolled Cormier. Ragdolling a guy who ragdolls olympians is not impressive?

Jones outwrestled and outstruck an undefeated HW*, beating him at his own game. You have to actively try to not be impressed by that.

First 3 rounds were close. 5th round was a grapple-fest with Jones controlling most of it and DC getting a TD. So, you could say 4 rounds were pretty close. 4th was the one DC said he took off and it showed.

Good win for Jones but hardly anything to scare guys like AG or Rumble.

Just because you didn't like it and others did doesn't mean it's overrated

He showed his dominance in wrestling against the best wrestler in MMA. Cormier tried liked hell to get a takedown and barely got 1 if it even counted. Cormier was taken down in like the first minute and at least 3 times after that.

I equate Jones outwrestling Cormier to Gonzaga headkick KO over CroCop.

Can we stop feeding these trolls and giving them the attention that they so clearly desperately crave

It was impressive, but I didn't get the sense he was really trying to finish the fight.

So 7/10 from me(only due to the fact that I think he can do it all)

the word overrated doesn't belong in the same sentence as jon jones

Jones stuffs atakedown - "OMFG 10-7 round"

Cormier lifts him up over his head &slams him - "Meh, if it even counted".

Jones clearly won but I get what OP is saying. Nothing like the 1-sided beating he probably had described to him

I think why people are saying Jones had a great performance is because Jones beat Cormier at his own game which many thought he would lose at. I think Jones made the fight tougher by implementing this strategy. It was a win, but it wasn't domination.

Jones beat Cormier handily on his own game. This is a fighter people claimed could be the king at HW and hadn't lost a round in 15 fights so far.

Not impressive? K.

Body shotted him until he was winded, took him down, out clinched worked him, broke him down......not impressive. :p DC was supposed to be black Fedor, he was billed as being indomitable. Going to become a legendary fighter for knocking off Bones Jones and moving to 16-0, maybe even toss Bones around like its nothing when he gets in close.

Its an extremely impressive win against a guy that is supposed to be one of the best fighters in the UFC.

I didn't get to see the fight live, but I kept up with it on social media, and Sherdog.

After watching the fight the day after, in NO WAY did Jones live up to the performance all these fair-weather fans were posting about.

Yes, Jones out struck DC 92-58, and got 3 takedowns, but one of those takedowns came off of a sloppy kick thrown by DC in the 1st. Nothing spectacular at all.

Of the heaviest punches landed, DC landed 3 uppercuts that would have sent most people time-traveling, and a monster slam in the 5th.

I understand Jones won the fight 49-46 on all 3 cards, but even that is too favorable.

I went back to look at the fight and see Bones' dominant performance, and what I saw was a fight I scored 48-47 for Jones, because he is Champ. To beat the Champ you have to take the belt, and DC didn't do that. But if it were a non-title fight, there could have easily been an argument for a draw.

Front runners, and over excited commentating really blew Jones performance out of proportion.

Yawn. Try harder TS.

Jones is not overrated, he is very well rounded, good wrestling, good kicks, good jab, good elbows, good TD defense, good cardio, smart fight strategy.

DC is probably better in some aspects than Jones (wrestling and heavy punches) but is not that well rounded, no kicks, crappy cardio, not a very good fight plan

Yeah, why didn't he take the Olympic wrestler/ Cain's wrestling coach who was never taken down in MMA 4 times? Yes no top-5 HW ever won around off of him but IMO Jones only won 3. pfffft.

Last edited:
I agree TS. DC did not show up. He put too much pressure on himself.

Going into the bout it looked like it would a big win but DC looked like a guy who peaked for 6 minute wrestling matches not 25 minute fights aged 35 and guys with 12 inches of reach on him.

[YT]tfy0ZzHYHO4[/YT]

hPxLMjY.jpg

If anything, Jones' performance is being underrated. People downplay the pace that they fought at for the first 3 rounds and Jones' body work.

Another thing is the argument about damage, that there either was none or that DC dished out more.

Jones has great cardio and great durability. I don't think getting into these grueling 5 rounders is good for his long term health though.

First 3 rounds were close. 5th round was a grapple-fest with Jones controlling most of it and DC getting a TD. So, you could say 4 rounds were pretty close. 4th was the one DC said he took off and it showed.

Good win for Jones but hardly anything to scare guys like AG or Rumble.

What do you think Cormier does to those two? Here's the point: those two want NOTHING to do with the clinch game with Cormier. Nothing. Jones just wore down and grinded out a guy who would have no issue with them.

Back