Jones lacks the "holy crap" moments Fedor and Silva had

He had a lot of them until recently. I still remember the first time I saw him fight, against Bonnar. that fight was nuts

The moments you're pissing in your empty beer bottle because you're afraid to leave the room in fear of missing the finish.

If Bones had dynamite in his fists it would be completely different. The only strikes I see him throw with bad intentions are those elbows. Great win over Cormier but I'm still sticking with Fedor and Silva no matter how many sherdoggers update their goat sigs :)

Lol You mean the oh shit moment Fedor had with Hendo?
Or the one with BF Silva?

Or was it...hmmi dunno too many to recall.

And what did you say about my sig?:redface:

When he suplexed Bonnar and smoked Vera, I said holy sh*t. But I haven't said it recently, so you you are half-way right.

He had a lot of them until recently. I still remember the first time I saw him fight, against Bonnar. that fight was nuts

It's funny that people are now using his inability to stop the last 3 fighters as a negative against him when he finished many big names before this.

Glover hadn't lost in like a decade before he fought Jones and was only stopped once in his pro debut. Gus has been stopped once in his career and I think we all know he has improved a lot since then. Cormier was undefeated.

I see people calling him a point fighter because of this and it's ridiculous. He makes it a point to try to beat guys at their own game even though it's very dangerous to do that. He does it time and again. Not stopping guys that rarely get finished isn't anything to be ashamed of since very few people can beat them to begin with so they can forget about finishing them.

Some fans on here are losing out on enjoying a great fighter by dissecting and discrediting everything he does. That thought process makes no sense to me. Hell, even if I hated the guy I could still enjoy his fights and give him all the credit his wins deserves. Otherwise I'd be perpetually pissed off with every win he gets and MMA wouldn't be as fun to watch as it is now. That would suck.

Turned into another boring point fighter since winning the strap. Shame, he had real potential but would rather care more about his heel persona than putting away clearly inferior (and much smaller) competition.

Beating on Shogun like a schoolyard bully taking someone's lunch money was the "Oh Shit" moment for me.

I don't care for Jones' personality, but there is no denying that he's right up there with the best of all time.

His only fight since winning the belt that wasn't full of holy shit moments was the Rashad Evans fight, and that's because Rashad could make an orgy boring to watch.

How about before his title, when he crushed Vera with elbows, breaking his orbital bone from inside the dude's "guard". (quotes used, because his guard...didn't)

How about raining death down on a beaten and bloodied Matt Hamill.

Or the way sherdog called him a classless fighter after he went Shang Tsung on Machida and absorbed his soul before leaving a lifeless corpse in his wake?

Or the flying knee and eventual way he made Rua tap to strikes.

But no...he may not have the one punch, lights out power...instead he uses aggression, combinations, and quite frankly does things that nobody else can do to win fights.

Jones/Gus was better than Fedor/Crocop.

Vitor poppin' dat arm was crazy.

Choking Machida out cold after dropping him.

Jones zulu'd Shogun for like three rounds straight.

he's got plenty of amazing single highlights.

you probably just weren't that pumped when it happened because you don't like him.

Agree. As good as he is at winning fights, he doesn't have very much of that wow moment (relative to Fedor, Silva), especially in his recent fights.

Think one main reasn is that JJ doesn't have that one shot KO (or overall ko) power. So his fights are not that "on the edge of ur seat" because chances are there wont be a split second finish. Although he has a variety of striking attacks, but he seems also uses his wrestling a lot just to control and stall...thus eliminating much of the wow..

Also Silva and Fedor are never the biggest/baddest looking dudes in their divisions..thus whatever they did was more impressionable and exaggerated as many times it was against bigger opponents. JJ really does dwarf just about every single one of his opponent in the cage..which lessen some "wow" factor on his moves.

I'm not counting methodical murder as my "holy shit" moments. I'm not a Jones hater btw..I don't care either way, same way I was with GSP.

What I mean by "Holy Shit" is going to the kitchen and coming back 10 seconds later wondering what happened to the fucking opponent. I guess Machida was the closest to something like that.

Agree. As good as he is at winning fights, he doesn't have very much of that wow moment (relative to Fedor, Silva), especially in his recent fights.

Think one main reasn is that JJ doesn't have that one shot KO (or overall ko) power. So his fights are not that "on the edge of ur seat" because chances are there wont be a split second finish. Although he has a variety of striking attacks, but he seems also uses his wrestling a lot just to control and stall...thus eliminating much of the wow..

Also Silva and Fedor are never the biggest/baddest looking dudes in their divisions..thus whatever they did was more impressionable and exaggerated as many times it was against bigger opponents. JJ really does dwarf just about every single one of his opponent in the cage..which lessen some "wow" factor on his moves.

More detailed than my OP. Agreed on all

I'm not counting methodical murder as my "holy shit" moments. I'm not a Jones hater btw..I don't care either way, same way I was with GSP.

What I mean by "Holy Shit" is going to the kitchen and coming back 10 seconds later wondering what happened to the fucking opponent. I guess Machida was the closest to something like that.

yup. guys like Machida, A. Silva, Vitor, Im really on the edge of my seat when watching as there is a real possibility of a split second finish.

Lmao. Every single one of Jones' fights so far have included plenty of "holy shit" moments for me, even the Evans and Rampage fights.

I mean come on, it cannot be argued at this point: Jon Jones has the most dynamic toolkit of any fighter out there relative to his weight class, and has proven himself to be the best LHW fighter to ever exist. That in itself justifies vocalizing a "holy shit".

More detailed than my OP. Agreed on all

thanks man! Its a really good tread.. as something is kinda of lacking when comparing him to other GOATS like Silva, Fedor. It is that "Holy sh*t" factor/moment.

Yes he lacks the one-strike lethality of some, and the Matrix-type abilities of Anderson.

Turned into another boring point fighter since winning the strap. Shame, he had real potential but would rather care more about his heel persona than putting away clearly inferior (and much smaller) competition.
wtf, a boring point fighter? The guy has 4 finishes in 7 title fights. And it isn't like anyone else came close to doing anything to Cormier, or stopping Teixeira in a long time.
As for your "clearly inferior (and much smaller) competition" comment, that just shows your ignorance and bias.

Don't really agree. Seems like you're judging based on the last two fights which were rather strategic and just happened to be fairly clear-cut too (and both involved a good amount of clinch/cage work, which tends to not be as fast to finish).

Spinning elbow comeback on Gustafsson, split-second choke out of Machida, and total destruction of Shogun to take the belt stand out as pretty high points for an MMA career.

I used to feel that about Jones, but the way he came back against Gus really showed how deadly he was.

If Jones fought the level of competition that Anderson and Fedor did throughout their careers he'd have a record full of 1st round flying reverse elbow knee finishes.

Back