Jones admitted to having poor endurance from powerlifting and weighing 220 lbs.

You be surprised how many athletes dont know about proper elite dieting and cutting or lean bulking.

I bet you Jones sees his weight increasing and is seeing his PR #s increase and assumes it is mostly muscle and some little fat

But the reality is even with PEDs this

50lb weigjt gain cant in this short of a period be as much muscle as he thinks.

Alternatively he may also think he is gaining a lot of musxle and fat and then plans to cut. Most people think it is "smart" to bulk not so lean, gain the most weight wjile lifting hard and eating huge protein surpluses then they gain some fat then go on a cut. The issue is 1) they factuslly gain way less muscle than they expect during their dirty bulk or not so clean bulk

2) they gained a lot of fat and glycogen

3) when they do cut they do it too hard and lose fat of course but also muscle

Their end net result is a tired body that has more muscle but was put through a yoyo cycle that didnt need to happen to begin with...
Yep, exactly

What's weird is people seem to get that if he cuts down to the BF he was at LHW then he won't be holding much extra muscle, maybe 5 lbs. or something... so where is the confusion coming in for some folks?

Jon should've just stayed at his walking around/ pre cut/ In shape weight.
He would be a smaller heavyweight but would have retained all of the things that make him great.

QUOTE="A.S. Deep, post: 166146029, member: 513619"]You think Jon is over 6'4?

Jon seems at least 6'5 to me. A guy who's 6'5 225ish lbs is gonna be giant compared to a 185lbs guy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah man this is a whole new perspective for me. Actually, maybe jon is small. Or like as big or small as you want him to be

Lol all you guys that talk loads of shit can't get specific, and can't answer questions

Specific on what exactly? I've competed in powerlifting for multiple years and have been involved in that industry for over a decade. Meanwhile you're a weeb on the internet with a degree in Youtube and instagram fitness. Almost nothing you have said in this thread is accurate or backed up by physiology literature. Go and read something rather than listening to people that make a living selling powders...

Specific on what exactly? I've competed in powerlifting for multiple years and have been involved in that industry for over a decade. Meanwhile you're a weeb on the internet with a degree in Youtube and instagram fitness. Almost nothing you have said in this thread is accurate or backed up by physiology literature. Go and read something rather than listening to people that make a living selling powders...
That's your assumption lol, congrats on powerlifting for a couple of years, I also work out haha. What did I say that's not backed up by "physiology literature?" The whole dirty bulking thing is at least debatable lol. Some people like you for some reason think you need to be 20% BF to gain muscle, I think that's really stupid, but it's at least debatable, trying to do the "I'm in the industry and read the literature" thing is very telling. Just make your argument lol.

How much muscle do you think Jon will actually gain? Assuming he was 225 in the picture on the left, what weight would he be if he cut down to that same BF now?

Idk man
2eajtzs.jpg

Tall frame but Andrei is clearly denser. Thats like comparing 5'11 Holloway with 5'11 Wanderlei

That's your assumption lol, congrats on powerlifting for a couple of years, I also work out haha. What did I say that's not backed up by "physiology literature?" The whole dirty bulking thing is at least debatable lol. Some people like you for some reason think you need to be 20% BF to gain muscle, I think that's really stupid, but it's at least debatable, trying to do the "I'm in the industry and read the literature" thing is very telling. Just make your argument lol.

How much muscle do you think Jon will actually gain? Assuming he was 225 in the picture on the left, what weight would he be if he cut down to that same BF now?

This is my last reply to you because you're just making things up now. I'll let you get the last word in so your ego isn't too badly damaged.

I never said "you need to be 20% BF" to gain muscle... You said that anyone that is in a 2000+ calorie surplus is fat when in reality almost every pro athlete ranging from Strongman to Swimmers is doing just that. Look at guys like Larry Wheels, Jamal Browner, Cailer Woolam and even Michael Phelps. They all eat until they feel sick, are they fat? No.
What happens in the body when you are eating an abundance of nutrient dense foods while on a rigorous strength training program? WATER RETENTION. Water retention is good for muscle recovery and growth, a side effect of this is it can make you appear to be bloated or "soft".

Assuming Jon fights at HW next year. Over a two year period, and assuming Jon is taking a "light" cycle of gear so as to not alert USADA, he will gain around 10-15lbs of lean muscle mass.

This is my last reply to you because you're just making things up now. I'll let you get the last word in so your ego isn't too badly damaged.

I never said "you need to be 20% BF" to gain muscle... You said that anyone that is in a 2000+ calorie surplus is fat when in reality almost every pro athlete ranging from Strongman to Swimmers is doing just that. Look at guys like Larry Wheels, Jamal Browner, Cailer Woolam and even Michael Phelps. They all eat until they feel sick, are they fat? No.
What happens in the body when you are eating an abundance of nutrient dense foods while on a rigorous strength training program? WATER RETENTION. Water retention is good for muscle recovery and growth, a side effect of this is it can make you appear to be bloated or "soft".

Assuming Jon fights at HW next year. Over a two year period, and assuming Jon is taking a "light" cycle of gear so as to not alert USADA, he will gain around 10-15lbs of lean muscle mass.
Michael Phelps eats a lot of calories, but he still isn't in a surplus, his maintence calories are just really high lol. Do you not know what a "surplus" is?

Hahaha well now you're adding in he is taking steroids?? Obviously he can put on muscle if he is on gear... and why are you even arguing with me if you only think he is gonna gain 10 lbs. of muscle? He said his goal is 270 lol. This whole thing was you getting butthurt over me criticizing hiring Stan Efferding

I'm interested to see how helpful it is or isn't for him to put on all this weight to improve his ability to wrestle Ngannou. I don't think it's gonna make him much more durable in dealing with Ngannou's power and he's really just never gonna truly be as big and strong as Francis. I personally don't think his odds are that much better bulked up than they would be as he stood naturally. There's no way he intends to kickbox here. it's an interesting science experiment that I think is gonna be a lot more trouble than it was worth.

People need to stop comparing fighters size based on pics. Rarely are fighters ever the same distance from the camera or standing at the same angle, and some fighters have a wide upper body and some fighters have a thick upper body. Fighters like jones that are tall and have wide shoulders are going to look bigger than they are. We know that arlovski is 240 when he fights and jones is 220, so we know that arlovski is 20 lbs bigger so why look at pics?

A month out from UFC 197, Jones weighed 220 lbs. After his fight against OSP, he attributed poor endurance to having too much muscle and doing too much powerlifting. Keep in mind, he was also cycling PEDs at this time.

If Jones thinks he had poor endurance at 220 lbs, it begs the question of why he thinks bulking up to 275 lbs is a smart decision.
I dont understand this, 220 would only be like 3 or 4 pounds heavier than normal, would that really affect endurance that much?

Back