Jon Jones On People Calling Him Out & Going To Bellator

Jones is "worth" what the market will pay him - if he doesn't like what UFCis offering he can risk being let go - no one star will make or break the UFC, and certainly not Jon Jones.

UFC has not closed up shop with GSP and Silva on the shelf, and it did not fold when guys like Chuck, Randy, and Tito faded, so life would easily go on if Jones goes elsewhere. If Jones thinks he can earn more all-in by fighting fir another org...good luck with that.

The reality is that this is all posturing in both sides - why should Jones accept less if he feels he is worth more...and why should UFC not try to sign him at a price that suits them? Such is business. The risk to Jones is that UFC walks away and there is zero chance of him earning the same all-in money elsewhere...ZERO chance. No one has the revenue to sign fat bonus cheques and PPV cuts like UFC, and Jones would be a fool to waste his prime years helping build up another org. He needs UFC more than it needs him, and everyone (except some not-so-bright fans) knows it.

A deal will get done...I don't know why fans care so much about this nonsense lol

I'm going to have to go with this right here. It's just alot of posturing from both sides. A deal will be reached.

On the same note it is true, and something I must say the UFC did rather well with. People don't understand at times why they put the brand before the fighter, and this is a good reason why. The UFC will live on after JBJ. They survived before, and through some much bigger names, and they will survive after.

I do agree fighters should fight for their peice of the pie, but at the same time they have to realize they can't take the entire cake all at once. I'd say he's going to end up with a very nice pay, with very nice bonus's and life will move on.

I dislike Jones to the fullest but even i support him in this cause. If the rumor of ronda making more money is true then F that shit. Jones should be making at least 2 mil a fight.

I'm all for paying champs high.

Which should be highest? That's up for debate.

Personally, whoever is the bigger draw.

If that happens to be a woman, so be it. Rhonda has stepped up and fought whenever the UFC asked, even fought quickly against McMann. Jon Jones has been a PR nightmare, he has a me first mentality and comes across as a brat, why should he get paid more?

- It doesn't matter why his buy rates are low, or how long it takes champs to get high PPV numbers. The point is he's an American, english speaking, greatest of all time fighter who is not a draw. If you don't see the issue in that you are clearly being a blind JJ fan. I don't hate Jones, I want him and the sport to succeed. But, it's hard watching a guy who could transcend this sport into the main stream drop the ball. The worst part is, he seems like he doesn't care. I'm all about paying fighters and Jones should be highest. The issue is, he's not bigger than the sport. With everything at his fingertips, he honestly should be.

- Again, it doesn't matter what happened behind the scenes. He's the champ- not only the champ, but the p4p GOAT. Fans like winners, but more importantly, they like warriors. Chickening out of a fight against Chael (say what you want, but he puts his ass on the line and the company first) is pretty telling. Look, at the end of the day, he's allowed to not accept, it's his right. But, don't be surprised how the public and the UFC judges you. Why do you think Chael and Lawler are getting more title shots and opportunities? Because, they step up when called upon.

- I guess this is subjective. You might think those things are a big deal. I think they are. All that boneheaded, cheese ball, clown stuff he pulls greatly affects his standing with the fans. Which leads to haters. Which leads to no one caring if he fights, let alone win. Which leads to lower buys. Which is a complete waste of potential.

The difference between Jon and Chael's methods and ability are light years in different directions. Chael realizes that he's not a great fighter. He's a very very good fighter who could possibly become champion if a number of things break his way. Like catching a champion while injured[first Silva fight], or catching a champion cold[potential Jones fight at UFC 151]. He's able to beat most top 10 guys in MW or LHW but will struggle once he gets up to the top 5 in either division because that's when you start to see the talent gap between them and him. That's why Chael acts the way he does. That's why you see the "wrestling schtick"[I have no issue with it and wish more fighters would do it]. He has to make every fight he's in, seem like it's the biggest fight that will ever possibly happen in history, because he knows based on his actual fighting ability, that won't bring people to see him. So he needs a hook, and god bless him for finding it.

Jon Jones on the other hand, 99 times out of 100, he will beat any fighter you put in front of him. He knows it, other fighters know it, Dana White, and Lorenzo know it, fight fans know it, MMA media knows it, even the hardcore of the hardcore MMA fan knows it. Jon is hoping to go the Anderson Silva route in that his skills and being an exciting fighter make fans gravitate toward him. I agree with Daniel Cormier that if he went Muhammad Ali/Floyd Mayweather that he'd see a surge in his PPV numbers because he'd literally become the most hated MMA fighter fighter on the planet[people tend to forget that for the longest time, Cassius Clay/Muhammad Ali was hated by the media, fans, and other boxers. It wasn't until later in his career did he become "loved"]. Jon Jones wants to be loved, and I think his actions reflect that. He wants fans to come see him because they love to see him fight, not to root against him and see him lose.

where are your numbers on that champ? Weidman fought silva for all his title fights. Of course that even will sell more. And the other ones arent even worth mentioning. Jones does more then all of them.

All the champ are floating around 300k buys.

Rhonda's last fight - 340k
Hendricks - 310k
Weidman/Silva - 1mill+ (I think it's safe to assume Weidman will bring in more than 300k)
Pettis - 270k
Cain - 330k
Bones - 310k (the Glover numbers aren't out)

I'm leaving out the lower divisions for obvious reasons.

The point is, how in the hell can the most exposed UFC fighter, who happens to be the p4p GOAT, be middle of the pack?

Add that with the fact he's a PR headache, the anti-company man and not well liked. It's not really all that crazy if the UFC isn't throwing the bank at him.

The difference between Jon and Chael's methods and ability are light years in different directions. Chael realizes that he's not a great fighter. He's a very very good fighter who could possibly become champion if a number of things break his way. Like catching a champion while injured[first Silva fight], or catching a champion cold[potential Jones fight at UFC 151]. He's able to beat most top 10 guys in MW or LHW but will struggle once he gets up to the top 5 in either division because that's when you start to see the talent gap between them and him. That's why Chael acts the way he does. That's why you see the "wrestling schtick"[I have no issue with it and wish more fighters would do it]. He has to make every fight he's in, seem like it's the biggest fight that will ever possibly happen in history, because he knows based on his actual fighting ability, that won't bring people to see him. So he needs a hook, and god bless him for finding it.

Jon Jones on the other hand, 99 times out of 100, he will beat any fighter you put in front of him. He knows it, other fighters know it, Dana White, and Lorenzo know it, fight fans know it, MMA media knows it, even the hardcore of the hardcore MMA fan knows it. Jon is hoping to go the Anderson Silva route in that his skills and being an exciting fighter make fans gravitate toward him. I agree with Daniel Cormier that if he went Muhammad Ali/Floyd Mayweather that he'd see a surge in his PPV numbers because he'd literally become the most hated MMA fighter fighter on the planet[people tend to forget that for the longest time, Cassius Clay/Muhammad Ali was hated by the media, fans, and other boxers. It wasn't until later in his career did he become "loved"]. Jon Jones wants to be loved, and I think his actions reflect that. He wants fans to come see him because they love to see him fight, not to root against him and see him lose.

I agree, but you're glossing over the important points I made.

Chael is a company man, if you don't think that counts for something, you've clearly never held a job. Dana would bend over backwards for Chael because Chael bends over backwards for Dana. It doesn't matter if his only schtick is marketing fights, he brings the UFC money, and maybe even more than Jones.

I agree with you, though. At the end of the day, being Jon Jones definitely means something, he deserves to be paid.

But, being the youngest ever champ, undefeated, most exciting AND arguably best ever P4P GOAT means ABSOLUTELY nothing if fans don't like you, if the UFC doesn't like you and if the PPV numbers show no spike when you fight. You're just another champ- sure you're talented, but from a business perspective, you're nothing special.

Also, even if people hated Ali, he sold the shit out of fights. Jones is nothing special in the PPV department. Again, you can't really have a bargaining chip with Dana when you don't bring in anything special.

Last edited:
People telling him to "get it over with already" in regards to signing a contract have never worked anywhere where you sign a contract and actually negotiate over your pay. These things take time, and two sides sit down, and you know, NEGOTIATE over the contract deal. I'm currently at a job where I actually had to sign a contract and negotiate over my annual salary and what my duties would involve/not involve and what I would be/would not be willing to do. Jones has a lot of leverage coming into this new deal:

-Current LHW champion
-Longest reigning champion on the active roster[7 total defenses and 8 victories in title fights]
-Youngest ever UFC champion
-Longest reigning LHW champion in UFC history
-First UFC fighter signed to a MAJOR sponsor world wide[Nike]
-First UFC fighter to actually be sponsored by the UFC itself
-Cover athlete of the latest UFC video game.
-Is key in the UFC's campaign to legalize MMA in the state of NY[having a prominant fighter, not to mention a champion from there helps this a lot]
-Is a very good person for them on the PR circuit.[He is well liked by the ESPN people, and is always on the talk show circuit when his fights come up. GMA, Live with Kelly and Michael, etc...]

So yea, I can see why contract negotiations are taking a little bit. He's bringing a lot to the table. I wouldn't be shocked if he became the UFC's first 7 figure per fight fighter[excluding post fight bonuses, and win bonuses]

47% of sherdoggers have not finished high school
83% of sherdoggers work for minimum wage
62% of sherdoggers live with their parents

People telling him to "get it over with already" in regards to signing a contract have never worked anywhere where you sign a contract and actually negotiate over your pay. These things take time, and two sides sit down, and you know, NEGOTIATE over the contract deal. I'm currently at a job where I actually had to sign a contract and negotiate over my annual salary and what my duties would involve/not involve and what I would be/would not be willing to do. Jones has a lot of leverage coming into this new deal:

-Current LHW champion
-Longest reigning champion on the active roster[7 total defenses and 8 victories in title fights]
-Youngest ever UFC champion
-Longest reigning LHW champion in UFC history
-First UFC fighter signed to a MAJOR sponsor world wide[Nike]
-First UFC fighter to actually be sponsored by the UFC itself
-Cover athlete of the latest UFC video game.
-Is key in the UFC's campaign to legalize MMA in the state of NY[having a prominant fighter, not to mention a champion from there helps this a lot]
-Is a very good person for them on the PR circuit.[He is well liked by the ESPN people, and is always on the talk show circuit when his fights come up. GMA, Live with Kelly and Michael, etc...]

So yea, I can see why contract negotiations are taking a little bit. He's bringing a lot to the table. I wouldn't be shocked if he became the UFC's first 7 figure per fight fighter[excluding post fight bonuses, and win bonuses]

Well said...couldnt agree more...JBJ has done things very few have accomplished...

Jones holding out for that canelo Alvarez money. I say give it to him. He deserves it

LOL @ the notion that Jones would go to Bellator. If he's holding out for cash, going there certainly wouldn't be in keeping with that goal.

All the champ are floating around 300k buys.

Rhonda's last fight - 340k
Hendricks - 310k
Weidman/Silva - 1mill+ (I think it's safe to assume Weidman will bring in more than 300k)
Pettis - 270k
Cain - 330k
Bones - 310k (the Glover numbers aren't out)

I'm leaving out the lower divisions for obvious reasons.

The point is, how in the hell can the most exposed UFC fighter, who happens to be the p4p GOAT, be middle of the pack?

Add that with the fact he's a PR headache, the anti-company man and not well liked. It's not really all that crazy if the UFC isn't throwing the bank at him.

Jones vs Glover did 350k

http://mmapayout.com/2014/05/ufc-171-and-ufc-172-ppv-updates/

Jon Jones needs the UFC much more than the UFC needs him...simple as that

I dislike Jones to the fullest but even i support him in this cause. If the rumor of ronda making more money is true then F that shit. Jones should be making at least 2 mil a fight.

What do you base that on though? If Ronda is generating more cash than Jones and more interest in the UFC of course she should get more. When I saw Ronda fight I was amazed at how loud the crowd was, was both booing and cheering but everyone seemed to be reacting.

Look at the card Weidman will be on.

Weidman will be on the most stacked card of this year and sharing it with arguably the largest current champion draw (Rousey)

GTFO. Jones is a high draw for the current MMA landscape.

You know it's already been worked out. The line between WWE and UFC blurs ever more........

Jones asks for more than Dana is willing to give. It's only fair that they settle their differences in the cage.

I'm not a Jones fan one bit but I agree with this. He shouldn't just take any contract the UFC puts in front of him. He should be making bank each fight.

I dislike Dana more than I dislike Jones.
Dana snakes so many people over contracts.
Jones deserves big $$$$

Jones is "worth" what the market will pay him - if he doesn't like what UFCis offering he can risk being let go - no one star will make or break the UFC, and certainly not Jon Jones.

UFC has not closed up shop with GSP and Silva on the shelf, and it did not fold when guys like Chuck, Randy, and Tito faded, so life would easily go on if Jones goes elsewhere. If Jones thinks he can earn more all-in by fighting fir another org...good luck with that.

The reality is that this is all posturing in both sides - why should Jones accept less if he feels he is worth more...and why should UFC not try to sign him at a price that suits them? Such is business. The risk to Jones is that UFC walks away and there is zero chance of him earning the same all-in money elsewhere...ZERO chance. No one has the revenue to sign fat bonus cheques and PPV cuts like UFC, and Jones would be a fool to waste his prime years helping build up another org. He needs UFC more than it needs him, and everyone (except some not-so-bright fans) knows it.

A deal will get done...I don't know why fans care so much about this nonsense lol

Completely agree with everything here.

I can't blame Jones for wanting to negotiate a bigger contract, but he's a fool if he thinks the UFC would suffer without him. The ball is in the UFC's court.

Back