Jon Jones On People Calling Him Out & Going To Bellator

Don't like Jones, but hoping he holds out as long as it takes to get what he is truly worth.

People telling him to "get it over with already" in regards to signing a contract have never worked anywhere where you sign a contract and actually negotiate over your pay. These things take time, and two sides sit down, and you know, NEGOTIATE over the contract deal. I'm currently at a job where I actually had to sign a contract and negotiate over my annual salary and what my duties would involve/not involve and what I would be/would not be willing to do. Jones has a lot of leverage coming into this new deal:

-Current LHW champion
-Longest reigning champion on the active roster[7 total defenses and 8 victories in title fights]
-Youngest ever UFC champion
-Longest reigning LHW champion in UFC history
-First UFC fighter signed to a MAJOR sponsor world wide[Nike]
-First UFC fighter to actually be sponsored by the UFC itself
-Cover athlete of the latest UFC video game.
-Is key in the UFC's campaign to legalize MMA in the state of NY[having a prominant fighter, not to mention a champion from there helps this a lot]
-Is a very good person for them on the PR circuit.[He is well liked by the ESPN people, and is always on the talk show circuit when his fights come up. GMA, Live with Kelly and Michael, etc...]

So yea, I can see why contract negotiations are taking a little bit. He's bringing a lot to the table. I wouldn't be shocked if he became the UFC's first 7 figure per fight fighter[excluding post fight bonuses, and win bonuses]

Good post but it really comes down to how many ppv's can he sell. I don't remember the last one but the Gus fight was only 310K. Not exactly great.

He's a diva.

vitorbelfort1.gif%3Fw%3D500

Jones could fart out the cure for cancer and Sherdoggers would still put him down.

Yeah,

Jones farts the cure for cancer in a jar.

He announces he has the cure for cancer on twitter.

Deletes it.

So what happens if the UFC decides to drop Bones and had Cormier vs. Gus for the title? You forget that UFC is pretty good at making something out of nothing....

Joes would probably do cartwheels across his living room if that happened. UFC can create an interim title but until Jones loses his title in the cage or retires, no one will consider either Gus or Cormier the real LHW champ. It also does ones a favour as it will eliminate one of his 2 biggest challenges.

Jon Jones in Bellator would be hilarious. He would never lose that belt in like 50 years. He could compete in Bellator's LHW division until he is like 70 and easily destroy everyone they put in front of him.

Bones x Newton...lol
Bones x Rampage II...lol
Bones x M'Pumbu...lol
Bones x Vegh...lol
Bones x Mo (makes me sad but)...lol
Bones x Tito...just no

Good post but it really comes down to how many ppv's can he sell. I don't remember the last one but the Gus fight was only 310K. Not exactly great.

It's partially the UFC's fault. Or that of his competitors. No one believes that the challengers are credible threats. Maybe it will improve with DC or the second Gus fight... well, I expect it to, actually.

People telling him to "get it over with already" in regards to signing a contract have never worked anywhere where you sign a contract and actually negotiate over your pay. These things take time, and two sides sit down, and you know, NEGOTIATE over the contract deal. I'm currently at a job where I actually had to sign a contract and negotiate over my annual salary and what my duties would involve/not involve and what I would be/would not be willing to do. Jones has a lot of leverage coming into this new deal:

-Current LHW champion
-Longest reigning champion on the active roster[7 total defenses and 8 victories in title fights]
-Youngest ever UFC champion
-Longest reigning LHW champion in UFC history
-First UFC fighter signed to a MAJOR sponsor world wide[Nike]
-First UFC fighter to actually be sponsored by the UFC itself
-Cover athlete of the latest UFC video game.
-Is key in the UFC's campaign to legalize MMA in the state of NY[having a prominant fighter, not to mention a champion from there helps this a lot]
-Is a very good person for them on the PR circuit.[He is well liked by the ESPN people, and is always on the talk show circuit when his fights come up. GMA, Live with Kelly and Michael, etc...]

So yea, I can see why contract negotiations are taking a little bit. He's bringing a lot to the table. I wouldn't be shocked if he became the UFC's first 7 figure per fight fighter[excluding post fight bonuses, and win bonuses]

You, sir, need to post more often.

Rarely ever see logical things like this posted on Sherdog.

Course, you actually have a job which already sets you apart from over half of the posters here.

What current champion draws more than Jones?

Go ahead, I'll wait.

Only person I'd say with any confidence is Rousey. Cain could come close depending on who he fights that and the fact HW fights sell better.

Barao and Aldo can't sell out a bingo hall in the US.

Mighty Mouse isn't a huge draw atm but hes gaining some attention.

Hendricks isn't a draw at all imo. He's like Aldo-Barao level.

TJ Dillashaw could. He has the tools and the making of a star so lets see what happens.

Weidman was eating off of Anderson's name. Let's see what Weidman x Machida draws.

I have to retort because I find so many things wrong with this.

-His PPV numbers average between 400k - 700k. It took a good while for Anderson Silva's PPV numbers to get up to where they were. He's only been champion for 3 years. which is a little over 1/2 of his entire UFC career of 5 1/2 years.

-He did not cause the cancellation of the PPV. Regardless of what shertards and bloody elbow morons like to say, Jon Jones did not cause the cancellation. If ANYTHING did, it was Dan Henderson and his camp not notifying the UFC when the injury happened which was 6 weeks out from when the PPV was schedule to take place. He had a partial torn MCL, which takes between 8-10 weeks to heal on its own without surgery, 4-5 with. Dan didn't get the surgery because that would have been paid for by the UFC[Injuries sustained during training camp, or a fight are 100% covered by the UFC's medical insurance], and thus tipped Dana White and Lorenzo off to the injury putting him out of the fight. Had Dan and his camp notified Dana when the injury occurred 6 weeks before hand, a suitable opponent would have been found. Machida even said he would have taken the fight on 5-6 weeks notice, not 1 week when he was originally offered the fight. Also, Chael started attacking Jones on twitter out of the blue like 5 weeks out from the fight, and even stated in a later interview that he knew Dan was injured and began training for the fight. He was hoping to catch Jones cold since he would have trained for Jones, but Jones not training for him. People think just because you have a training camp, you're ready to go. People don't understand that fighters train for a SPECIFIC opponent's skill set. Jones trained to fight Henderson, not Chael Sonnen. Jones was not obligated to fight a replacement opponent, especially on such short notice where he would have had NO time to do any specific training for Chael. The final week is spent cutting remaining weight, doing PR[radio appearances, TV, etc..], that meaningless "open workout", and press conferences.

-Yes, Jones does suffer from "foot in mouth" syndrome. I'll be the first to admit that, but it's not the biggest of deals. His flubs are mostly benign, and only the hardcore of the hardcore forum lurker cares about them. The mainstream press doesn't care, most MMA sites on their main news page don't care. So they're not as big as an issue for the UFC as you think they are. They're as close to a non-issue as you can possibly get.

- It doesn't matter why his buy rates are low, or how long it takes champs to get high PPV numbers. The point is he's an American, english speaking, greatest of all time fighter who is not a draw. If you don't see the issue in that you are clearly being a blind JJ fan. I don't hate Jones, I want him and the sport to succeed. But, it's hard watching a guy who could transcend this sport into the main stream drop the ball. The worst part is, he seems like he doesn't care. I'm all about paying fighters and Jones should be highest. The issue is, he's not bigger than the sport. With everything at his fingertips, he honestly should be.

- Again, it doesn't matter what happened behind the scenes. He's the champ- not only the champ, but the p4p GOAT. Fans like winners, but more importantly, they like warriors. Chickening out of a fight against Chael (say what you want, but he puts his ass on the line and the company first) is pretty telling. Look, at the end of the day, he's allowed to not accept, it's his right. But, don't be surprised how the public and the UFC judges you. Why do you think Chael and Lawler are getting more title shots and opportunities? Because, they step up when called upon.

- I guess this is subjective. You might think those things are a big deal. I think they are. All that boneheaded, cheese ball, clown stuff he pulls greatly affects his standing with the fans. Which leads to haters. Which leads to no one caring if he fights, let alone win. Which leads to lower buys. Which is a complete waste of potential.

Only person I'd say with any confidence is Rousey. Cain could come close depending on who he fights that and the fact HW fights sell better.

I agree Rousey is either on his level or a little above it, but the point was that saying Jones isn't a draw is retarded.

Especially when the only current champ that could beat him, is the 135 WBW champ.

Jones is "worth" what the market will pay him - if he doesn't like what UFCis offering he can risk being let go - no one star will make or break the UFC, and certainly not Jon Jones.

UFC has not closed up shop with GSP and Silva on the shelf, and it did not fold when guys like Chuck, Randy, and Tito faded, so life would easily go on if Jones goes elsewhere. If Jones thinks he can earn more all-in by fighting fir another org...good luck with that.

The reality is that this is all posturing in both sides - why should Jones accept less if he feels he is worth more...and why should UFC not try to sign him at a price that suits them? Such is business. The risk to Jones is that UFC walks away and there is zero chance of him earning the same all-in money elsewhere...ZERO chance. No one has the revenue to sign fat bonus cheques and PPV cuts like UFC, and Jones would be a fool to waste his prime years helping build up another org. He needs UFC more than it needs him, and everyone (except some not-so-bright fans) knows it.

A deal will get done...I don't know why fans care so much about this nonsense lol

What current champion draws more than Jones?

Go ahead, I'll wait.

He's equal to or in the ball park of Hendricks, Rousey, Weidman, Pettis and Cain.

Which is pathetic.

He's the greatest fighter of all time. He was the youngest champ, he beats legends, he's undefeated (basically), and he can't sell any more tickets than the other champs. THAT is a joke.

I dislike Jones to the fullest but even i support him in this cause. If the rumor of ronda making more money is true then F that shit. Jones should be making at least 2 mil a fight.

He's equal to or in the ball park of Hendricks, Rousey, Weidman, Pettis and Cain.

Which is pathetic.

He's the greatest fighter of all time. He was the youngest champ, he beats legends, he's undefeated (basically), and he can't sell any more tickets than the other champs. THAT is a joke.
where are your numbers on that champ? Weidman fought silva for all his title fights. Of course that even will sell more. And the other ones arent even worth mentioning. Jones does more then all of them.

Back