Media Jon Jones: I don’t understand why khabib doesn’t work a lot of jiu jitsu (2018)

Jones has 2 finishes in his last 10 fights. Khabib has 3 finishes in his last 3 (against better competition too) he definitely wouldn't be making those comments today. His grappling is nowhere near Khabib's

Wasn't a rush to end Conor

But I think you're right..a light switch flipped. He threatened Poirier with submissions to force him to explode and fight the choke. Gas out. Covering his mouth and nose.

I think if he were to fight Poirier again. It's a round 1 or 2 submission.

He really tried to get Conor out of there at the end of round 2 with ground and pound, failed and actually had to mostly take round 3 off in order to get some steam back. That's why he got the finish in round 4.

He really tried to get Conor out of there at the end of round 2 with ground and pound, failed and actually had to mostly take round 3 off in order to get some steam back. That's why he got the finish in round 4.
True. You're right. He was sloppy and went for broke with the GNP, almost got the submission had it not been the illegal knee and toes in the cage, imo. But you're right

I want to see Khabib in some grappling matches vs elite BJJers

jon-jones-jiu-jitsu-purple-belt-bjj.jpg

Vu2Ph7O.gif

4.gif

0c06a-12.gif

<Neil01><JagsKiddingMe>

And now Khabib has the record for 3 subs in a row for Title Defenses, no one else has ever done that in UFC as champ.

”I think Khabib, his boxing defense isn’t the the strongest. I don’t understand why he doesn’t work a lot of jiu jitsu. If you can take down anybody, why not know how to finish them? He depends on ground and pound and he never finishes anyone with that. Khabib is a black belt wrestler. If he adds a black belt in jiu jitsu to his recipe, he’d be extremely scary.”

Since this comment, khabib has had three finishes, all by submission.

<JonesLaugh>

https://www.bjjee.com/articles/jon-jones-dont-understand-khabib-doesnt-work-lot-jiu-jitsu/
Jones goat confirmed, he exposed khabib and made him up his game.

He fucking triangles people. It's jiu jitsu. What do you want him to do, walk to the octagon in a gi?

Previously Khabib preferred to really wear down his opponents before going for submissions. This is why he didn't submit Michael Johnson, who was one of the weakest elite fighters on the ground, until late in the fight, and why he didn't attempt many or any submissions against Barboza. Something changed in his last few fights though, where he was really in a rush to end them.
Because opportunity presented itself for him in his last few fights.

I seem like a broken record with this but Khabib is, and has been for many years, one of the best BJJ practitioners in MMA. He just chooses to GnP in some fights when the opportunity to immediately sub doesn't presents itself. He is so good at getting guys down and retaining position, that it's an obvious gameplan to GnP. There's a reason why the fundamental rule of BJJ is 'position before submission'. You usually have to compromise a position to attempt a sub, but in MMA why would you if you can happily bash the guy?

He chooses carefully and it's a big part of his success.

bc93282a56454c97d710245d8b127d415c0125f8.gifv

098e44b956e4d25623d35fd537a519d9a1d17a9a.gifv

Jon should work on how to beat Dominick Reyes, who got KOed by Jan Blachowicz.

A lot of enraged sherdog geeks for a fighters opinion and an opinion that was quite intriguing.

Cut it out

jiu jitsu?
he wanted to be a champ so he worked on sambo, judo and wrestling instead.
it worked
<TheDonald>

It was odd how he was able to take Gaethje down, mount him, and almost sub him in the first then easily in the second at will. He seemed to decide to finish the fight the second it got ugly. Makes you wonder why he didn't do that to the others he's faced. It could be the face that Justin has horrible ground defense because he passed to mount and controlled him easily.

Jones was way off on his comments about Khabib's boxing defense. He's one of the least hit fighters on the feet in MMA. His striking may not look pretty but his head movement is way better than Jon's as is his "boxing defense".

Back