Media Jon Jones: I don’t understand why khabib doesn’t work a lot of jiu jitsu (2018)

Peli

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
”I think Khabib, his boxing defense isn’t the the strongest. I don’t understand why he doesn’t work a lot of jiu jitsu. If you can take down anybody, why not know how to finish them? He depends on ground and pound and he never finishes anyone with that. Khabib is a black belt wrestler. If he adds a black belt in jiu jitsu to his recipe, he’d be extremely scary.”

Since this comment, khabib has had three finishes, all by submission.

<JonesLaugh>

https://www.bjjee.com/articles/jon-jones-dont-understand-khabib-doesnt-work-lot-jiu-jitsu/

Last edited:
This didn’t age well with khabib subbing conor, poirer and gaethje.
Or aged beautifully depending how you want to look at it

Its bittersweet he retired because he said he improved his ground game. Imagine if he khabib started d'arcing and anaconda choking people:eek:. Who knows what he added to his game.

Jon Jones isn't even honest with himself half the damn time that I'm not surprised he's WAY off base with Khabib here lol.

<36>

For all his Brilliance inside the cage, he's as sharp as a marble outside of it.
Yeah in the other quote I didn't cite, he said khabibs boxing defense is bad. Way off. {<jordan}

Jon Jones isn't even honest with himself half the damn time that I'm not surprised he's WAY off base with Khabib here lol.

<36>

For all his Brilliance inside the cage, he's as sharp as a marble outside of it.
He was right though, Khabib's been chasing a lot more of submissions since the Al Iaquinta fight. Jones said that in 2018.

Before that he mostly ground and pounded his opponents

He always had great submissions though. It's just not particularly easy to sub top lightweights. It's a grappling heavy division.

He was right though, Khabib's been chasing a lot more of submissions since the Al Iaquinta fight. Jones said that in 2018.

Before that he mostly ground and pounded his opponents
I believe it was always there, he just elected to to play around. I think he could have submitted barboza. Rda, probably not.

He was beating barboza and talking shit.

Or aged beautifully depending how you want to look at it

Its bittersweet he retired because he said he improved his ground game. Imagine if he khabib started d'arcing and anaconda choking people:eek:. Who knows what he added to his game.
<mma4>

That’s a good spin on it!

Previously Khabib preferred to really wear down his opponents before going for submissions. This is why he didn't submit Michael Johnson, who was one of the weakest elite fighters on the ground, until late in the fight, and why he didn't attempt many or any submissions against Barboza. Something changed in his last few fights though, where he was really in a rush to end them.

He always had great submissions though. It's just not particularly easy to sub top lightweights. It's a grappling heavy division.
Remember how fast Khabib had trujillo wrapped up in a triangle the second he was on his back? if the time didnt run out,he would have been submitted.

Previously Khabib preferred to really wear down his opponents before going for submissions. This is why he didn't submit Michael Johnson, who was one of the weakest elite fighters on the ground, until late in the fight, and why he didn't attempt many or any submissions against Barboza. Something changed in his last few fights though, where he was really in a rush to end them.
Wasn't a rush to end Conor :D

But I think you're right..a light switch flipped. He threatened Poirier with submissions to force him to explode and fight the choke. Gas out. Covering his mouth and nose.

I think if he were to fight Poirier again. It's a round 1 or 2 submission.

I think the Dustin fight, his dad was there so he stayed disciplined and the gaethje fight was without his father but in memory of his father so he stayed disciplined and focused. Javier said it was the first time he followed the plan to a T without his father being there.

Back