Jon Jones felt big. The HW's did not. Getting it yet?

Yet Jones wasn't some manner of supreme wrestling beast outside of MMA, nor do most successful wrestlers have a physique anything like his.

That would be all of them.

Greco wrestlers are typically taller. The majority of medallists in freestyle wrestling [Which is more applicable to MMA] are under 6 feet.

Jon's build isn't ideal for close quarters fighting in MMA. He is utilising a lot of skill and adapting the best attributes of Greco style to win these battles that he technically shouldn't be winning.

So wait... why don't the HW's feel big?

Cormier ragdolls heavyweights, who are much heavier and stronger than him, and Jones.

I am just pointing out what i have been trying to tell you for a while now, that the reason why Cormier did not ragdoll Jones, was not becasue of Jones' wrestling technique, but because of his crazy physique.

I feel bad for fighters like Cormier and others, who go away from a fight like that thinking it had much to do with theire skills not being good enough, when in reality it's just a simple case of a mismatch for the most part

Lol @ the JJ fans refusing to read. Same guys will post "Jones rag dolled DC".

TS is addressing the hysteria that JJ outclassed DC. JJ won round one by being Jones, keeping distance and punishing a DC moving in.

He wanted to prove a point by 'out dcing' DC in the following two rounds and he didn't win either of them unanimously. Then he was gassed and put a weak following two rounds. It wasn't that impressive. He used his advantages to just get by on those rounds. JJ lost points to his ego. It's not something these vicarious JJ fans should be proud of.

Cormier ragdolls heavyweights, who are much heavier and stronger than him, and Jones.

I am just pointing out what i have been trying to tell you for a while now, that the reason why Cormier did not ragdoll Jones, was not becasue of Jones' wrestling technique, but because of his crazy physique.

I feel bad for fighters like Cormier and others, who go away from a fight like that thinking it had much to do with theire skills not being good enough, when in reality it's just a simple case of a mismatch for the most part

Yeah but, why don't the HW's feel big tho?

So wait... why don't the HW's feel big?

Well, based on what Cormier actually ment by what he said and not the ridiculous OP, Jones style of fighting, the way he actually uses his TECHNIQUE when fighting, makes him feel (even) bigger/stronger than what you would imagine just by looking at him.

Yet Jones wasn't some manner of supreme wrestling beast outside of MMA, nor do most successful wrestlers have a physique anything like his.

Jones was actually a legit wrestling talent.

He was scouted by Cael Sanderson and offered a full ride scholarship to Iowa State.

Lol @ the JJ fans refusing to read. Same guys will post "Jones rag dolled DC".

TS is addressing the hysteria that JJ outclassed DC. JJ won round one by being Jones, keeping distance and punishing a DC moving in.

He wanted to prove a point by 'out dcing' DC in the following two rounds and he didn't win either of them unanimously. Then he was gassed and put a weak following two rounds. It wasn't that impressive. He used his advantages to just get by on those rounds. JJ lost points to his ego. It's not something these vicarious JJ fans should be proud of.

You seem really upset that Jones won.

Well, based on what Cormier actually ment by what he said and not the ridiculous OP, Jones style of fighting, the way he actually uses his TECHNIQUE when fighting, makes him feel (even) bigger/stronger than what you would imagine just by looking at him.

He did not say this.

Not hard to understand why DC said JJ felt big or bigger than expected.. also Sonnen said the same thing when he tried to wrestle with JJ in the cage.

JJ has a big frame. 6'4 with 80+ wingspan/reach is no joke..biggest wingspan in UFC. Inside the cage JJ look to be 220 or so, with mass heavily concentrated on the upper body..thus when clinching and/or tied up in over and under, one can imagine JJ would feel big to guys like sonnen, dc.

JJ is definitely SKILLED. and very talented. That his skills plus his unique built/size just make him that much more deadly at 205.

Fact of the matter is if Jones went to HW he would get destroyed. Velasquez, JDS, Hunt even Overeem would have a field day.

TS I get what you saying but this Sherdog you need to break it down simply use the stuck nut theory. You're changing a tire and that one nut won't come loose you need more leverage to torque it loose, so you reach for a longer bar or something to give you the leverage required.

Jon standing in the clench will always have the advantage because of his leverage.

Yeah but, why don't the HW's feel big tho?

Look it's a long explanation

To reduce it to the shortest possible answer, just to get the basic concept across:

Imagine a crowbar, and what you can do with it.
The size of your muscles and the weight you can put behind the crowbar is relatively less in play, than the main effect of a crowbar

You seem really upset that Jones won.

Classic JJ fan response "Oh you just think that cuz u mad".

Don't you get tired of creating excuses for every opinion you don't like?

All you do is ignore discussion and attack character. It's the reason you were one of the highest voted for worst poster. Talking to you is a wrestling match nobody is interested in.

To reduce it to the shortest possible answer, just to get the basic concept across:

The size of your muscles and the weight you can put behind the crowbar is relatively less in play, than the main effect of a crowbar

I'm just imagining a HW with a crowbar fucking people up with it, bro.

He did not say this.

It was my words, but it was what he ment. It's pretty easy judging someones size when you've spent hours with them - what you cannot judge is the way it feel fighting them, and that is, quite simply, due to the way they, in this case Jones, fight.

His style of fighting is what makes him feel stronger and more physically imposing than what you would estimate just by looking at him. That's what Cormier meant.

Last edited:
He's lightly skilled with a huge physical advantage.

But there is no rational reason to dislike the guy based on this, or to exalt acquired skills over natural predispositions.

I myself irrationally dislike Jon Jones. I don't like his face and that's fine.

Fact of the matter is if Jones went to HW he would get destroyed. Velasquez, JDS, Hunt even Overeem would have a field day.

It's wishful thinking. Overeem had less success at 205 than heavyweight. Hunt is probably my favourite fighter & he gets ruined by Jones. Cain & JDS are tough fights. They're the top of the heavyweight division. I'll still tip Bones though.

Why aren't all the top wrestlers in the word lanky and built like Jones if his physique is such a massive advantage in wrestling?

TS I get what you saying but this Sherdog you need to break it down simply use the stuck nut theory. You're changing a tire and that one nut won't come loose you need more leverage to torque it loose, so you reach for a longer bar or something to give you the leverage required.

Jon standing in the clench will always have the advantage because of his leverage.

Indeed!

Back