• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies John Wayne Westerns vs Clint Eastwood Westerns

Favourite

• John Wayne

• Clint Eastwood

Results are only viewable after voting.
Gonna be a sad sad day when Clint passes.

I was never a Fan of “Sandy the singing Cowboy” , which is the name Wayne used before he changed it when singing cowboys were on their way out.

Clint for me all day.

John Wanye is the GOAT of westerns, and Clint Eastwoods westerns have dated.

Both are all time greats, but Wayne has the advantage of having made movies with John Ford who is the greatest western maker of all time and a straight up candidate for top 10 lists of greatest director of all time.

The Man who Shot Liberty Valance, Stagecoach and The Searchers are all masterpieces of cinema.

Doesn't mean Clint isn't great but those movies mean that Wayne's resume edges it for me.

He was an asshole, that's the other point, Clint usually had Indians in his films in a vastly more human manner. One of the ways was showing our humor (Chief Dan George).

I take it you haven't seen "the Searchers"? it has one of the first humane depictions of Indians in Western movies and Wayne's character is literally on a journey from hate to grudging sympathy. Also, during filming he flew a seriously ill native American girl to a hospital in his own plane and was made an honorary member of her tribe. It's simplifying history to view Wayne as just an asshole.

Guess I'm too young to appreciate the clean, classic cowboy look of John Wayne. Maybe I'll give it another shot in ten years. That being said I only watched half of Rio Grande ...

I consider The Great Silence as my favorite western by far.

I need dirt.

I'll say Clint Eastwood. Every western movie he is in has been good and entertaining, to me at least.

I like some of the John Wayne western movies but some of them are on the lousy side.

Clint for me. John Wayne was my grandparents guy.

I take it you haven't seen "the Searchers"? it has one of the first humane depictions of Indians in Western movies and Wayne's character is literally on a journey from hate to grudging sympathy. Also, during filming he flew a seriously ill native American girl to a hospital in his own plane and was made an honorary member of her tribe. It's simplifying history to view Wayne as just an asshole.
A movie that hinges on him killing his niece because she was so tainted by them Redskins? I saw it and I didnt see what you saw. Nice of him to chopper the injun out though. No one is 100 percent bad.

Clint actually used native Americans in his films, he didn't have white ppl in brown make up lol so much for the dated theory
Wayne also mangled the story of Genghis Khan and filmed it downwind from a nuclear testing site which later killed half of the crew via cancer and leukemia. But I still prefer his Westerns to Clint’s even if I am not a fan of him as a person.

Rio bravo was really good and so was searchers minus the white ppl dressed up as indians, true grit is good as well. But that's really it for me.

Did you ever check out The Cowboys? It came out in 1972 so it doesn’t feel as dated as some of his other ones and features a pretty strong performance by Wayne and an even better one from Bruce Dern.

Clint. I could never get into Waynes bland and cookie cutter take on westerns. Clint/Sergio presented whole new dynamics on what a western could be and added a way more realistic and layered approach to an otherwise childish genre prior to.

Unforgiven imo was the culmination of everything magnifiscent about the modern western. There was no real good or bad guys in the wild west. Just shades of grey.

Its funny, cause Wayne apparently hated Eastwoods movies and his take on westerns. Go figure.

Last edited:
A movie that hinges on him killing his niece because she was so tainted by them Redskins? I saw it and I didnt see what you saw. Nice of him to chopper the injun out though. No one is 100 percent bad.
I tried to watch The Searchers. It was so fucking dated I just could not enjoy it at all. There’s a scene in which they find what is supposed to be a dead injun. But the guy playing the corpse was fucking moving. So I was confused as shit. Because he was moving so much that I thought he was supposed to be alive for the purposes of the film.
Anyway, I gave up on that one. It was really bad.

Back