Movies John Carpenter vs Clint Eastwood

Favourite

• Carpenter

• Eastwood

Results are only viewable after voting.
Carpenter has some of my all time favorites, he also tried some new things for his time which he later on seemed to get a bit stuck on. Clint Eastwood has kept it going but I gotta go Carpenter.

Eastwood, and it's not difficult to pick. Carpenter is great popcorn filmmaker, though. One of the best.

But Unforgiven is easily the crowning work, here. Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, Gran Torino, Letters from Iwo Jima, The Changeling...not hard to choose at all.

Clint needed to direct The Man with No Name trilogy to win this
Thing is though I just cannot imagine him doing that at any point in his career, he just has never had the flare of Leone. He makes presitge Hollywood dramas which seem to have this innate assumption they are "good cinema" but honestly like much such films I find them pretty generically directed with the drama being very shmaltzy. Unforgiven maybe is better than most such films as say Shawshank is but even then I would struggle to call it truely great cinema.

Carpenter on the other hand I think is a very talented director, beyond doing the soundtracks to his films I think they have a great atmosphere to them, partly down to Dean Cundy you could argue I spose but I think you can still see it in the late 80's stuff post Cundy, the man knows how to craft great visuals.

This is tough because I enjoy more of Carpenters movies so he's my pick but I think Clint is the better director.

Clint directed a movie about killing people and someone died while making it. Filming of the movie didnt stop at all thats alpha as fuck by gawd. Its not even on your list man whats wrong with you. I just made a thread about it too. So here

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/yall-should-watch-the-eiger-sanction.4320984/
Does your employer stop everything if someone from the staff dies?

It’s nothing really. “Alpha” lol. You people and your stupid and hollow categories.

And it’s Carpenter by a landslight. Eastwood has his audience but there is not much of artistic or intellectual value in any of his works.

Carpenter did two of my all time faves, Elvis and Big Trouble, but he can't match the volume or the range of clint so far as I can tell. I don't think i've seen every carpenter film, haven't seen all of clints but that's because he's so prolific. I'm still discovering great movies of his, I loved his richard jewel movie.

Does your employer stop everything if someone from the staff dies?

It’s nothing really. “Alpha” lol. You people and your stupid and hollow categories.

And it’s Carpenter by a landslight. Eastwood has his audience but there is not much of artistic or intellectual value in any of his works.
clint evolved over the years, from the dirty harry, man with no name take no prisoners approach to the guy who said, "I don't know one damned thing" in a perfect world, that's an interesting evolution to see in his films. my faves of his would probably be he outlaw josey wales, which has about one of the best portrayals of indians ever in film and was way past how most indians were casted in hollywood. I think clint is a greater director than an actor and although he's had some real misses, I couldn't really watch that stupid soccer movie or whatever it was with morgan freeman, saw it but can't remember a bit of it. now that's got to be boring, but he's done so much. Only now in his 90's is he talking retirement, that's simply amazing.

The thing is the best
Unforgiven and million dollar baby are easy next two then I’d say they live followed by Gran Torino
The westerns go next then it’s carpenter followed by Eastwood

So more top films? Eastwood. Best film carpenter. Best overall? Probably carpenter. Eastwoods turds drag down his average

The thing is the best
Unforgiven and million dollar baby are easy next two then I’d say they live followed by Gran Torino
The westerns go next then it’s carpenter followed by Eastwood

So more top films? Eastwood. Best film carpenter. Best overall? Probably carpenter. Eastwoods turds drag down his average

Eastwood has made some stinky doo but I think Ghosts of Mars might be worse than anything Eastwood ever did.

Back