John McCarthy Inserts Himself Into Eye Poking Controversy by Proposing The Jon Jones Rule

Do you support the new rule proposed to deal with eye poking?

• Total voters
A point could be taken already but the refs just don't do it

This won't change anything unless the refs don't start taking points off

Wrong. Read the article before trying to "/end thread" shit.

It's a foul just for leading with fingers extended towards opponent, even if no contact is made

Great... Multiple warnings should do the trick... SMFH.

How is this any different than the current rules? Warn them multiple times? But that is what they are doing now. I don't get it.

Rule needs to be: First eye poke - point takes away. Why? Because fighters already talked to the ref before the fight and clearly heard ref telling them to keep their hands closed. You don't want to keep your hand closed? Fine, then you lose a point. How many times does a grown man/woman needs to hear a rule? Until someone lose an eye. Fuck that. Ref explained you the rules before the fight, you didn't play by the rules - point takes away.

Yes first few months a lot of fighters will lose points but I bet you in 6 months all of them will keep their fucking hands closed at all time knowning they will lose a point if they don't . Now they know there is free 1 or 2 eye pokes before ref reacts and by that time damage is already done. Thats why its happening. They need to punish them and then fighters will stop doing it. Simple at that.

Read the article people. It's a foul JUST FOR HAVING YOUR FINGER'S EXTENDED TOWARDS OPPONENT.

The Jon Jones rule should be 'you are allowed 5 pokes to your opponents eyes, one each round. Choose wisely.'

I've got an idea for a new rule: no biting.

You know he'd have a legal team try and get rid of that if they tried to actually dub it that. Defamation of character or some shit like that. But yeah, would be pretty LOLworthy.
unfortunately it's not if it's true. Which in this situation he is the one most called for eye pokes.

This poll confirms people on Sherdog are retarded.

Taking points away for having an outstretched hand lmao. That ludicrous. It'd be like penalizing a fighter for having kicks that almost hit the nuts or grasping for the cage but not actually grabbing it.

The rules are fine as they are, if someone actually eye pokes it's up to the ref to take points. Penalizing people for having an outstretched hand but not actually eye poking is just stupid and makes absolutely no sense.

There's no precedent for penalizing a fighter for "almost" fouling someone. So this new rule will never pass.

I think in a real fight that eye pokes can happen so allowing them is closer to the real thing. Its just whatever but if your gonna allow that crap to go on then should open up knees to downed opponent and soccer kicks and punches to back of the head all of it. I would prefer watching that. But if you want rules for sport for the safety of the fighters then the rules on eye pokes should be much stricter and better enforced than they are now.

No wonder Jones didn't want dude to ref his fight. It seems their beef goes deeper than I initially thought.

Imagine if they called it that - The Jon Jones Rule. LOL

The rule should be IMHO that if a ref warns a fighter for advancing with his fingers or pushing them into someones face and an eye poke then happens its an instant point deduction.

Smh

Just take a point from the eye poker right away, and no one would do it again

After watching the slow mo replay of course

I'm against warning fighters no matter which foul we are talking about. They are taking it as a one time freebie to do whatever they want

And after the referee warns them, its too late anyway.... Look at the Jacare vs. Romero fight, if the fence grab in the second round never happened, or if the ref took a point from Romero, Jacare easily would've won.

Last edited:
Or as an alternative, Big John will always be the appointed ref for any Jon Jones fight.

That's the "Jon Jones" rule.

Read the article people. It's a foul JUST FOR HAVING YOUR FINGER'S EXTENDED TOWARDS OPPONENT.
Wat? No.

"Referees will be instructed to clearly communicate this to fighters, much like the foul for grabbing onto the cage. Fighters will be told to close their fists or point their fingers in the air. A fighter who is warned multiple times can have a point taken — like any other foul"

Oh no, they will warn them like they do for cage grabbing? Yeah, that stopped people for grabbing cage multiple times in a row

So they will warn fighter several time to not go forward with their hands open....like they do today. Refs keep on saying "keep those hands close" all the time and yet fighters just ignore them. I can bet right now they will warn them like 5 times about hands being opened and give them 1-2 eye pokes before actually taking away the point. This is not changing anything. Instant point deduct for every eye poke is the only solution.

And also "if he or she continues to move forward with fingers outstretched"....continues? for how long? what does that even mean? how to define continues? during the whole round? how many minutes fighter has to "continuously move forward" for ref to actually react?

This is stupid and doesn't change anything

Last edited:
Just take the point right at first poke. Problem solved.
Essential that is what the new rule states. Warning before the contact...then when contact is made, you can fairly deduct a point.

It's a tough thing to do though because if you have somebody darting in for a clinch or takedown it happens so fast that it can look like a strike attempt so you have to open your hands to defend grappling exchanges. If you have to have a closed fist at all times it puts you at a disadvantage to defend any lock up.

It's a great thing for grapplers and i'm for sure in the minority for enjoying clinch and ground exchanges but the majority will hate it because they want the tough man brawling every fight.

Maybe they gonna need help by watching the replay of the incident ... cause there are times when a eye poke is pure acident .... but im all for taking a point at 1st incident.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back