John McCarthy Inserts Himself Into Eye Poking Controversy by Proposing The Jon Jones Rule

Do you support the new rule proposed to deal with eye poking?

• Total voters
Big johns a stud, I wish he got more cred for his contributions to rules and the sport.

if your hands are not open you can't grapple.

This poll confirms people on Sherdog are retarded.

Taking points away for having an outstretched hand lmao. That ludicrous. It'd be like penalizing a fighter for having kicks that almost hit the nuts or grasping for the cage but not actually grabbing it.

The rules are fine as they are, if someone actually eye pokes it's up to the ref to take points. Penalizing people for having an outstretched hand but not actually eye poking is just stupid and makes absolutely no sense.

There's no precedent for penalizing a fighter for "almost" fouling someone. So this new rule will never pass.
I'd be fine with this if the language for eyepoke fouls changed to encourage refs to be more willing to take points. But I've seen a shit ton of intentional eyepokes, and I can't remember the last time I've seen a point taken for one.

Just what we need is more rules. What ever happened to the UFC's new gloves to prevent eye pokes?

How is this any different than the current rules? Warn them multiple times? But that is what they are doing now. I don't get it.

They can't take points away for it right now. Its not illegal.

This poll confirms people on Sherdog are retarded.

Taking points away for having an outstretched hand lmao. That ludicrous. It'd be like penalizing a fighter for having kicks that almost hit the nuts or grasping for the cage but not actually grabbing it.

The rules are fine as they are, if someone actually eye pokes it's up to the ref to take points. Penalizing people for having an outstretched hand but not actually eye poking is just stupid and makes absolutely no sense.

There's no precedent for penalizing a fighter for "almost" fouling someone. So this new rule will never pass.

In principal I agree with you.

The unfortunate part about eye pokes in these open finger scenarios is that there is a legitimate threat to the fighters eyesight and career.

No one is threatening to kick someone in the junk over and over. Low kicks to the stomach and the inside leg kicks are somewhat a threat I suppose, but most of those that hit a fighter in the groin are accidental due to movement more than an implied threat. There are some occasions where retaliation occurs of course, but these are very infrequent.

Fence grabbing does not get penalized anywhere near enough in my opinion, but fence grabbing is unlikely to end a fighters career either. Also, I am no medical expert so I can't say to what degree a groin shot might cut short a fighters career either, but that just seems like a stretch.

I would prefer that every single eye poke received a point deduction to end this problem, however I also agree with this concept. The outstretched fingers are too frequent and I think it does a lot to prevent some fighters from engaging when their eyesight is at constant risk. Jon Jones is not the only fighter to use this tactic so egregiously either, there are others as well.

The eye poke issue has been ongoing for years now with almost zero attempts to get this threat tactic under control. At this point I am all for seeing the threat earn a warning and then point deduction if means that this shitty tactic is buried soon afterwards.

On the positive side it could also lead to a bit more action on the feet if fighters have to be less concerned with a guy like Jones and his talon tactics.

"A fighter who is warned multiple times can have a point taken."

This is a weak wording. Why allow multiple warnings? If you want refs to be consistent, don't make ambiguous rules. Some refs are afraid of taking points, so allowing for multiple warnings is no help.

Lots of people not reading or understanding the new rule being proposed.

This rule is not about the actual eye poke. This rule is about extending your hand towards the face with fingers pointed towards the face. No contact has to be made for this new foul to be given and a point deducted.

Fence grabbing probably annoys me more than anything else in the octagon. Grabbing it by instinct should no longer be an excuse. These fighters have been fighting under these rules for years and they should know by now to stop it.

Guess it's safe to say, if Jones fights again, he'll protest BJM officiating his contests.

What's the rush? They have a couple years to get this thing passed.

A point could be taken already but the refs just don't do it

This won't change anything unless the refs don't start taking points off

nailed it

a point can be taken away for pokes yes, but if you fully read the article it states that points can be taken away for just the act of. No where in the rules now does it say you can get a point taken away if your moving forward with your hands open.

Funny how a person's character will outshine his insport achievements.

Jon Jones is on an Ali level of greatness in his sport, arguably.

Ali has the Ali Act and is known for standing against the Draft and being beloved globally.

Jones will have the Jones Act and be known for coking his way over pregnant women, failing drug tests and being an unlikeable nerd.

Refs aren't going to do shit.

Cheating champs will just get away with it.

Especially JJ, b/c she's a girl, she can't hurt no one!!!
LivelyFineHorse.gif
KeenElegantAnchovy.gif

You can actually see her DIG into Claudias skull looking for polish treasure! or would it be brazillian treasure?

either way, she's nastier than Jones and has never been called out on her shit.
Those are blatant. I dont know why they simply cant be called.
Also not sure why they cant use gloves like Pride had that cover the fingers length.

I propose that a fighter have a finger cut off for each eyepoke.

Those are blatant. I dont know why they simply cant be called.
Also not sure why they cant use gloves like Pride had that cover the fingers length.

Joanna is one of those really annoying champs and can't wait for her to lose and the massive implosion on Sherdog as a result.

See it now: Jon Jones Loses Belt by Eye Poke Penalties

Back