Joe Rogan on Simone Biles and her Ritalin dependency

It's nuts, even an Olympian like CCC can't comprehend being the absolute best ever and being in her position let alone the average dogger. She's overcome a lot and was the face of a huge sexual abuse scandal - it takes a lot of courage to openly say hey my mental health isn't ok right now and I need to get out. Especially since certain people will be harsh on her for other reasons.

Good for her. Seriously.

But she doesn't deserve special treatment if the host country, Japan, doesn't allow Ritalin for anxiety or kicking everyone's ass in you sport of choice. Which is what her WADA TUE was for.

my only thought on the whole story: it's one thing to be a runner or something and if you're having a mental health issue it is possible to gut it out and do the event, but in something like gymnastics where if you lose focus and land on your head, death or paralysis is a real possibility.

Good for her. Seriously.

But she doesn't deserve special treatment if the host country, Japan, doesn't allow Ritalin for anxiety or kicking everyone's ass in you sport of choice. Which is what her WADA TUE was for.

Really my only issue with the whole thing is this. Japan just gets to change the rules for the Olympics? So different countries get to have different rules about what medication is allowed? There should be a standard that all countries agree to follow.

Really my only issue with the whole thing is this. Japan just gets to change the rules for the Olympics? So different countries get to have different rules about what medication is allowed? There should be a standard that all countries agree to follow.

Wtf??? No country can be forced, and should never be forced to change their laws for a sporting event. No matter how big and corrupt the event is. That is an absolutely absurd expectation.

<36><36>

my only thought on the whole story: it's one thing to be a runner or something and if you're having a mental health issue it is possible to gut it out and do the event, but in something like gymnastics where if you lose focus and land on your head, death or paralysis is a real possibility.

And attaining/maintaining that focus could be the difference between a Gold medal, or being on the sidelines as a cheerleader. Total PED advantage.

Wtf??? No country can be forced, and should never be forced to change their laws for a sporting event. No matter how big and corrupt the event is. That is an absolutely absurd expectation.

<36><36>

They don't need to change their laws. They just need to make exceptions for participating in the Olympics. Otherwise don't have them in Japan and do it in other countries.

It was a powerful enough to be the difference in Simone being the greatest gymnast ever in the Tokyo Olympics to her being a cheerleader.

It's due to coming off a prescription that you've been using for years. Someone could have the same results coming off an antidepressant that people wouldn't consider performance enhancing. There are loads of people taking ADHD meds daily and almost all aren't doing it for a competitive edge.

They don't need to change their laws. They just need to make exceptions for participating in the Olympics. Otherwise don't have them in Japan and do it in other countries.

No they don't, and they didn't. If the IOC doesn't like a country's laws, they should not award a country the opportunity to host the event. Dozens of cities beg to be a host every year. The Ioc picks the host many years in advance. WTF is wrong with you.

Yes, I'm sure ritalin is going to be the drug of choice for a gymnastics participant. Some of you are really clueless.

Um, her not taking it seemed to have a slight impact on this particular gymnastics participant . . . .

Lol at thinking stimulants don't give a competitive advantage.
If you take them most of your life, then stop. It will have the opposite effect of a competitive edge. Makes sense she quit without them. If she really has adhd they aren’t “much” of a ped, if at all. People saying they are totally a ped and the only reason she was good are the same people who have done Ritalin as a recreation drug and not because they have fucked up brain chemistry.

My question is, when did she start taking it? That is a huge factor. If it was after she started doing gymnastics at a high level, then there is a bit of a question of did she do it for gymnastics or for regular life. As is, for real ADHD or for a ped (if she doesn’t really have it)

Reactions: lsa
It's due to coming off a prescription that you've been using for years. Someone could have the same results coming off an antidepressant that people wouldn't consider performance enhancing. There are loads of people taking ADHD meds daily and almost all aren't doing it for a competitive edge.

As someone else already stated, she should've taken the laws of Japan into consideration and sought other methods for her treatment and/or knew the risks for quitting cold turkey, etc.

i don't even get why people are pissed off at her. it's her life. if it was too much, then it was too much.

They'll never get it.

She's been on the medication since she was 5(?) and now she's told, "Ok, get off it cold-turkey and go compete in an Olympic level event." It's crazy to ask that as she's been prescribed the medication.

Naysayers just want her to "shut up and dance." Never mind her mental state, because money. Would they ask that of...

Anthony Bourdain
Dana Plato
Chris Cornell
Chester Bennington?

I doubt it.

No athlete is allowed to use Ritalin for anxiety in Japan. Simone Biles used Ritalin in Rio and won gold medals. She's known about the Olympics being in Tokyo for years now. She's had plenty of time to get past withdrawal. Lack of having Ritalin in her body, or withdrawal caused a deterioration in her PERFORMANCE. She could not compete. That's the end of the story.

Um, her not taking it seemed to have a slight impact on this particular gymnastics participant . . . .

And the same can be said for someone coming off antidepressants. Would you consider those performance enhancing? Some of you are really dense. You'd see a lot more people getting popped for ritalin if you really think it's giving a major competitive edge.

Reactions: lsa
Back