Joanna on Zhang beating Andrade, why she turned down the fight with Zhang and fighting Zhang.

The former champion recalled how she predicted that Zhang would defeat Andrade to claim the title in Shenzhen the day before the main event took place.

“The day before this fight happened between [Jessica] Andrade and [Weili] Zhang, I said that this fight was going to end in the first round and I put my money on Zhang,” Jedrzejczyk told MMA Fighting’s Eurobash podcast.

“I know how strong Jessica Andrade is, and I was surprised by how big Weili Zhang is. Jessica Andrade is kind of short but she’s very muscular; she’s a big girl for the strawweight division, but Weili Zhang is very strong, she has big guns. When I saw Jessica training ahead of the fight on her social media, I was really not impressed. I was like, ‘Oh sh*t if she really wants to defend the belt she should be put in more,’ but she didn’t do that.”

Zhang’s title shot against Andrade came out of left field for many fans and media members, and Jedrzejczyk admitted that she turned down fight offers for Zhang as she felt it would have sidetracked her from getting her hands back on the championship title she had previously held.

“She’s good, but the truth is they offered me Weili Zhang three times before that fight and the thing is, she needed me. Okay, she’s the champ now so it might look like she never needed me to become someone. Sometimes people are like, ‘Do you know who she is now?’ Of course I know who she is, but I fight in the Octagon, you know? I’m a professional athlete, I’m a businesswoman and I know who I am. I don’t do fights on Twitter. If [others fighters] call me out, I like it because I know I am in a strong position. Why are they calling me out? Because they know I can bring them to a different level. Maybe they can be lucky and win against former UFC champion, a dominant champion, which I was. [That would allow them to] get better money, get better exposure. Of course, they offered me Weili Zhang, but my goal was to fight for the belt. I took my spot, now I’m fighting Waterson and then I will go for the belt. Slowly, step-by-step, I will reach my goals and my dreams,” she said.

“The thing is, there is a new UFC Performance Institute in China, so they probably needed a good fight and they just gave the title fight to this Chinese chick. She won, good for her; I’m very happy for her. I think she’s very strong, she’s very dynamic and she’s a good puncher. I hope she’s going to be a good champ for the UFC and the division before I face her.”

The Polish striking supremo also shared her thoughts on Zhang claiming that she “wasn’t as good” as when she was champion in an interview the newly-crowned champion conducted in Abu Dhabi in her capacity as a guest fighter at UFC 242.

“You all should ask her why she was calling me out,” said Jedrzejczyk. “These girls think they can talk when they have the strap, they talk whatever sh*t they want to talk when you are losing, Look at how many of them wanted to call me out when I lost to Rose, they were like, ‘Now we can beat Joanna because she lost’. When I was a dominant champion, they were trying to get the belt, but nobody could keep the pace with me when they faced me. They can talk whatever they want, I’m too classy and too serious for all that bullsh*t.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Not an ounce of intelligence in anything that comes out of her mouth.

You only run your mouth when you run out of ice cream. Shouldn't you head to the corner store and pick up another tub?
Once, twice, three times a ducker.

Original song lyrics by Joanna.

"Of course, they offered me Weili Zhang, but my goal was to fight for the belt. I took my spot, now I’m fighting Waterson and then I will go for the belt. Slowly, step-by-step, I will reach my goals and my dreams,” she said.

So you think she's being disingenuous?

He just doesn't follow the division. I posted before a series of videos with time stamps where she talks about the title shot.

TLDR: Dana offered her the shot back when she beat Tecia. She helped them out vs Shev. She doesn't understand why people think she should so easily give up on a title shot that was promised to her just because she is offered another fight. She seemed genuinely confused as she was on vacation/break/re-tooling. Nobody gives a shit when Tatiana and Rose are away and both of them are regularly offered fights they turn down. Real or bullshit injury doesn't matter. Keep in mind it was Dana that sent JJ on vacation in the first place. What's there to complain about apart from the fans.

For context this was a few months after her loss to Shev and right before the Rose vs Jessica fight. She tried to get the Jessica fight but Dana wanted Weili. They even moved Waterson down a ranking and replaced her with Weili so Dana can make his case for giving her a title shot.

Joanna in turn wanted time off since the 2nd Rose loss and didn't really see a reason to hurry back. The UFC couldn't even get her to sign the fight vs Waterson and they were being difficult. If you check her IG you will see she gave up and hired the same management company Tony did when he ran into a road block with the UFC and his title shot. Had she not gotten the title shot for this upcoming fight Waterson would be fighting someone else. Joanna was going to take even more time off and re-tool further and come back in 2020.

Context TLDR: Contract dispute.

Last edited:
"Of course, they offered me Weili Zhang, but my goal was to fight for the belt. I took my spot, now I’m fighting Waterson and then I will go for the belt. Slowly, step-by-step, I will reach my goals and my dreams,” she said.

So you think she's being disingenuous?
Hell to the yeah...?

Who was the "stylistically difficult opponent someone has to re-tool the way Holly did vs Ronda"? Why did JJ ask Dana to re-tool that opponent and why did he decline?
Really? It was Valentina. She didn't want to face her right away cause she knew she wasn't ready. It was a stupid career choice. Bisping said the same thing. Only makes sense if she retires at 115.

You only run your mouth when you run out of ice cream. Shouldn't you head to the corner store and pick up another tub?
Also, I don’t even have to mention you by name and you come all butt hurt and white knighting. I live rent free in your head now.

He just doesn't follow the division. I posted before a series of videos with time stamps where she talks about the title shot.

TLDR: Dana offered her the shot back when she beat Tecia. She helped them out vs Shev. She doesn't understand why people think she should so easily give up on a title shot that was promised to her just because she is offered another fight. She seemed genuinely confused as she was on vacation/break/re-tooling. Nobody gives a shit when Tatiana and Rose are away and both of them are regularly offered fights they turn down. Real or bullshit injury doesn't matter. Keep in mind it was Dana that sent JJ on vacation in the first place. What's there to complain apart from the fans.

For context this was a few months after her loss to Shev and right before the Rose vs Jessica fight. She tried to get the Jessica fight but Dana wanted Weili. They even moved Waterson down a ranking and replaced her with Weili so Dana can give his reason for giving her a title shot.

Joanna in turn wanted time off since the 2nd Rose loss and didn't really see a reason to hurry back. The UFC couldn't even get her to sign the fight vs Waterson and they were being difficult. If you check her IG you will see she gave up and hired the same management company Tony did when he ran into a road block with the UFC and his title shot. Had she not gotten the title shot for this upcoming fight Waterson would be fighting someone else. Joanna was going to take even more time off and re-tool further and come back in 2020.

Context TLDR: Contract dispute.
A title shot is a title shot is a title shot...She needs baby steps now? This isnt a warm up series...Either you're about it or not...At this point she's not...

Once, twice, three times a ducker.

Original song lyrics by Joanna.
Nobody can top Weili ducking. She said she and her team have game planned for the entire top of the division and they aren't a threat. That's where the Valentina challenge came from.

Weili ducking the entire 115 division.

<JonesDXSuckIt>

Really? It was Valentina. She didn't want to face her right away cause she knew she wasn't ready. It was a stupid career choice. Bisping said the same thing. Only makes sense if she retires at 115.
Joanna didnt give Zhang the secret code on how to beat Andrade...Girl just went gangster on that ass like gangsters do...Joanna is becoming unbearable and quickly being passed by...

A title shot is a title shot is a title shot...She needs baby steps now? This isnt a warm up series...Either you're about it or not...At this point she's not...
So Holly should have faced Ronda as her first fight in the division before JW had a chance to gameplan for her and spend an enormous amount of time re-tooling her for that fight.

Joanna didnt give Zhang the secret code on how to beat Andrade...Girl just went gangster on that ass like gangsters do...Joanna is becoming unbearable and quickly being passed by...
Yeah I'm done talking to a coked up forum troll.

So Holly should have faced Ronda as her first fight in the division before JW had a chance to gameplan for her and spend an enormous amount of time re-tooling her for that fight.
How did we get to Holly here...Semantics...?

lol @ the Joanna hate. She's going to wreck Waterson and I think she'll beat Zhang, too.

Absolutely, and we all love him for his anyone, anytime, anywhere approach to fighting.
But it's also why he's only had one title shot in his entire 34 fight UFC career.
Valid point.

Nobody can top Weili ducking. She said she and her team have game planned for the entire top of the division and they aren't a threat. That's where the Valentina challenge came from.

Weili ducking the entire 115 division.

Additional: I might add JJ is ranked 5 & fighting #7 and she feels she deserves a title shot???

Tatiana, Rose, and Nina deserve first crack. JJ lost two in a row against Rose.
Again, your bias deceives your logic.

<JonesDXSuckIt>

Seriously man. You are out of control. Try to put your mind inside someone trying to make a living.
It is ironic you use Jones who does not want to go a weight class up and people are pissed off about it.
If you think Weili is ducking JJ because she is scared you are low IQ.
It's all business bro. Besides, JJ is talking and completely contradicting herself in regards to any form of logic.

JJ is one of the most arrogant fighters out there. JJ ducked Weili so JJ deserves whatever Weili dishes in terms Weili's own career.

GTFO!

Last edited:
Seriously man. You are out of control. Try to put your mind inside someone trying to make a living.
It is ironic you use Jones who does not want to go a weight class up and people are pissed off about it.
If you think Weili is ducking JJ because she is scared you are low IQ.
It's all business bro. Besides, JJ is talking and completely contradicting herself in regards to any form of logic.

JJ is one of the most arrogant fighters out there. JJ ducked Weili so JJ deserves whatever Weili dishes in terms Weili's own career.

GTFO!
So Weili taking on Valentina and using up her first real loss is just business. Why would she risk being devalued when she herself said she and her team has a gameplan for the entire top of the 115 division and they are aren't a top challenge. Why not build herself up further at 115 if it's easy. The UFC is using her by name to double their licensing fee in China from 50 to 100 million. It's also part of their argument to get a loan and puff up their IPO.

The first real loss matters. You been here since 2011 and this simple concept escapes you?

Retire.

Joanna might be the worst sport in all of the sports world. God what a narcissist

Back