Joanna Jed's striking is not elite. Stop repeating it like its true.

We heard that before.
Who's Ronda going to lose to?
But I'm seriously asking. I want to know who does he think will beat Joanna right now. Valid question.

Man, I was hoping for a critical breakdown of some of her weaknesses, but nope, just another shallow opinion from a sherdogger.

LoL Joanna got dropped within seconds against Claudia, a BJJ blackbelt.

Truth is Joanna has average striking, she only looks good when her opponent completely gasses out and doesn't have enough energy to fight back.

Not to mention Joanna is 0-3 against Shevchenko in Muay Thai. The Joanna nuthuggers will dismiss all of this doe.

Your opinions are consistently terrible. Amazing.

"Elite" is a relative value. Most female fighters aren't better strikers than Joanna. That makes her an elite striker in WMMA.

No disputing this post. She has had 6 fights in the UFC and has clearly out struck her opponents and is currently the undisputed champ at 115 lbs.

You could argue that her striking is Elite for women's MMMA. You could also argue that very few others (male / female) are holding a 12 fight win streak. In all 12 fights she out struck her opponent by a considerable margin. So, you could make an argument that her striking is Elite for MMA.

But I'm seriously asking. I want to know who does he think will beat Joanna right now. Valid question.
Sure it's a valid question but comparing it to the Ronda situation also is a valid thought:
Sometimes you completely underestimate an opponent, even if people acted as if it was obvious after the fight, NOBODY picked Holly.
And especially in WMMA a new star can reach the top of the game rather quickly, like athletes from other combat sports crossing over.
I assume that JJ will continue to fight for quite some time, she's not exactly old.

There are no women's fighter in the UFC that are currently elite if we are defining elite as having better technical skills compared to the rest. Their skill level are all relatively the same, and relatively terrible compared to the males.
So the striking skills of Valentina Shevchenko are relatively the same as, say, Alexis Davis? You're just reaching to save your argument now, imo. Or you just don't pay enough attention.

6 time world Muay Thai champion + nearly 70 Kickboxing fights + UFC champion based exclusively on her striking. Shes not winning these fights by sub or wresting. But shes not a good striker.....what more does she need to do....
She'd need to go back in time and change her secondary X chromosome to a Y chromosome. If she did that, these boards would be full of posts talking about what a complete striker John Champion is and how there's never been a better striker, etc.

Amazing the difference a single chromosome can make.

I love watching Joanna, only thing with her is I think she makes it look like she's doing a lot more than she actually is some of the time. She will throw like 8 punches in a row but they are a flurry that she is pulling back on pretty much right as the punch makes any contact, I know speed is her thing but i'd like to see her sit down on her punches a bit more.

Man, I was hoping for a critical breakdown of some of her weaknesses, but nope, just another shallow opinion from a sherdogger.
Just another thinly veiled WMMA hate thread. Case Closed.
anigif_optimized-10808-1428463516-1.gif

So the striking skills of Valentina Shevchenko are relatively the same as, say, Alexis Davis? You're just reaching to save your argument now, imo. Or you just don't pay enough attention.
you're making a huge assumption that the other person has ever actually watched any of these women fight. Don't do that, you're greatly over-estimating Sherdog posters.

For you to make that argument, you need to come up with a decent list of WMMA fighters that have better striking.

I do agree about not making comparisons between female and male sports.

Shevckenko and Holm are the only two you can rate as better pure strikers than Joana. Cyborg maybe better than her just because of her power. I really don't see an argument for her not being elite when she is the number 3/4 female striker in the sport.

Just another thinly veiled WMMA hate thread. Case Closed.
anigif_optimized-10808-1428463516-1.gif
At least some people can have an open mind and appreciate good MMA regardless of the gender of the fighters.

Joanna land's more strikes per minute (Min. 5 Fights) than any fighter on the UFC roster, man or woman, except one.

Lol shockingly, that's Nikita Krylov

Not a good striker, but has won multiple striking championships...sure thing hater.

Just because a good striker gets dropped by someone who has striking as their secondary background...doesnt mean shit...Overeem is no where near as good a striker as Hari...but he dropped and beat him in their first fight...., Serra dropped and beat GSP etc etc. keep on hating though...makes you look important.

JJ is a solid striker:

Last edited:
Sure it's a valid question but comparing it to the Ronda situation also is a valid thought:
Sometimes you completely underestimate an opponent, even if people acted as if it was obvious after the fight, NOBODY picked Holly.
And especially in WMMA a new star can reach the top of the game rather quickly, like athletes from other combat sports crossing over.
I assume that JJ will continue to fight for quite some time, she's not exactly old.
I mean it's a valid comparison as it pertains to other's opinions I suppose. I wasn't one of those that thought Ronda was unbeatable. I actually thought McMann could win, then I thought Zigano might have a pretty good chance. I was rooting for Holly and thought she had the skill set to get it done, but by then Ronda kept proving me wrong. I wasn't sure what to think.
But you're right there probably is some new up and comer when haven't heard of yet that could possibly challenge her. For the record, I also thought Claudia was going to beat her in the rematch. Thought that up til round 3 when the tides started to change. Outside of Claudia it's really hard to see who could match her blow for blow. I say that as a fan of Rose, Tecia and JoJo.

Last edited:
I'm really not a fan of hers at all and find all the gushing over here from some posters on here incredibly cringeworthy.

However, with that said her striking IS elite for women's MMA, especially the SW division. For MMA she has an impressive striking background with some notable accolades. Are there better pure strikers out there in Muay Thai, Kickboxing and Boxing? Absolutely, but you'll struggle to find any in the UFC more than Shevchenko and Holm. (Again it's all relative) Holm has better boxing than JJ but JJ's Muay Thai technique is far superior.

A lot of people don't seem to grasp the idea of it at all. Muay Thai fighters tend not not have the best boxing technique, of course there are exceptions to that but generally it's the case. Which is completely understandable since their discipline entails more than punching. Whereas a Muay Thai figher can look at Holm's kicking and say she's not an "elite striker" for that reason, which isn't the case. In MMA they are both elite compared to the standard female fighter.

If you're going to compare JJ's striking to some of the best Muay Thai female fighters in the world currently like Loma Lookboonmee or Iman Barlow then yes, she''s not "elite" but for women's MMA it's undeniable she is.

If you disagree, ask yourself who currently in the SW division would outstrike her?

She spammed the same jab with the same timing against Claudia until she got dropped. Her striking isn't as good as its hyped up to be.

Back