Joanna Jed's striking is not elite. Stop repeating it like its true.

Foxsports.com striking analyst Jason Parillo has stated "Joanna's MMA boxing is remarkable. It's second to none".[67]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanna_Jędrzejczyk

For those who don't know, Jason Parillo was BJ's boxing coach when he was tearing through everyone at LW, and he's also Bisping's current boxing coach. When pretty much everyone in the sport from fighters to coaches and journalists all agree that her striking is among the best, it likely is.

avgn-batman-o.gif

Yes it is. Her power is overrated though. People act like she's a heavy hitter but she's really not.

Pretty much every single thing possible is wrong with the opening post, yet it has 26 likes. Have not really seen the TS much since then, either.

Right - thanks for the nice like and its good to see a debate without folks insulting each other :)

1stly Lawler - agree he has gone backwards in terms of always looking for power but it has been working for him up till now.. Watching pre champ fights his diversity was incredible. And lets not forget he was fighting solid and terrific strikers - rory, condit, ellenburger etc. Lawler in the condit fight was able to throw every combo I think ive seen in a cage against, imo, the most diverse and dangerous striker in mma (wonderboy?perhaps)

Its impossible to say jj is equally skilled - she hasn't fought the level of competition that any of the male fighters you mentioned. Any of us who have fought (let me be clear here - I was a well below average boxer as a junior so I am certainly not claiming the expertise that some folks on here might - I was incredibly laboured!) will know that technique is only really technique under fire - brock can look good on pads but that don't mean its muscle memory.

In a few clips that someone posted about jj I saw crossed legs, winged hooks off balance, far too much bounce etc. Would I be better? Nope - id be turtled. But it doesn't make her elie in comparison to mens mma.

Less competition = less drive might not be a hard and fast rule but it is an accepted one. If I need to fight harder to be the best then I will - its replicated across gyms and sports the world over and its ONE of the reasons a lot of womens sports are not yet comparable to mens. I look forward to the day it is.

honestly - when I look at them im not convinced that jojo isn't a better pure striker than jj

I watched 4 rounds of JJ vs CG and she did cross her feet laterally, when out of range to cover distance. She skipped to the side and almost crossed her feet laterally as well out of range.
She switched stance or crosses her feet all the time ala Demetrious Johnson or TJ Dillashaw in range stance switching to throw combinations. I did not see her cross her feet laterally in range of Claudia Gadelha.
I would say this is a difference between Dutch style Kickboxing. Muay Thai and Boxing. In which the ranges and styles are so different you can break the rules of boxing and stance in certain situations.

She also controlled range very well to make sure she hit first even though she had a speed advantage and didn't need to. She as Heavy Hands has mentioned takes little half steps to keep her range.
<----- Video where they talk about her striking helpful Embed at the start.

And to your throw every strike in the game comment Joanna's sprawl elbows are an innovation on the game many men should be picking up on.
In her Claudia fight she threw a Jab, Elbow, Hook at the end of the 4th round fluidly.
I will not dismiss you have seen her wing punches or cross her feet but we have all seen the top strikers in every combat sport sometimes do this. It is tantamount to nitpicking.

I would say that GSP after the Serra fight improved without much competition he was losing no rounds and 50-45'ing people, Fedor was 8 years undefeated in Combat Sambo because he worked hard to stay ahead.
Cyborg has almost no legitimate competition she is still improving. Would they improve more if they had a competitive rival? Yes.
But to say that less competition means they only marginally improve is not the case in many of these fighters careers.

And to say it is impossible to determine if they don't have equally skilled competition. I do not believe is true. I believe you can rate them by comparing their technique and how they do against their best competition otherwise true greats that were in a weak era would never be recognised.

Also I am a hobbyist technique nerd Kyokushinkai Karateka training in a Muay Thai gym trying to get my first fight in Modified Thai rules novice fight, just so we are clear on who has more experience here.(You do :D) But these are my opinions and evidence on Joanna's striking on a technical level I am running out of TLDR room so I cannot actively compare to Lawler himself but oh well I leave it at this.

For WMMA, it is elite..but that is about it. Most women hit like their arms are foam pool noodles.

Just the fact that she has the ability to inflict damage on an opponent using strikes *at all*, puts her above most female fighter. Compared to the technique of 120 lb male kickboxers, there are thousands of male strikers w/ better technique. Even if you adjusted for the physical differences, the talent pool of female fighters is tiny. It's why the Williams sisters are impressive, there are only hundreds of men that can beat them, not thousands.

Also I am a hobbyist technique nerd Kyokushinkai Karateka training in a Muay Thai gym trying to get my first fight in Modified Thai rules novice fight, just so we are clear on who has more experience here.(You do :D) But these are my opinions and evidence on Joanna's striking on a technical level I am running out of TLDR room so I cannot actively compare to Lawler himself but oh well I leave it at this.

Good luck in your upcoming fight.

For WMMA, it is elite..but that is about it. Most women hit like their arms are foam pool noodles.

Just the fact that she has the ability to inflict damage on an opponent using strikes *at all*, puts her above most female fighter. Compared to the technique of 120 lb male kickboxers, there are thousands of male strikers w/ better technique. Even if you adjusted for the physical differences, the talent pool of female fighters is tiny. It's why the Williams sisters are impressive, there are only hundreds of men that can beat them, not thousands.

Let us compare a female mixed martial artist to other mixed martial artists. Otherwise, we can point out how so many men have shit striking compared to boxers, etc.

Good luck in your upcoming fight.

Thank you been trying since February but circumstances like not being able to lose 7 more kg after 13 kg weight loss in 3 months screwed me over.
(Was 111kg/244lbs now 80.8kg/178lbs at 167.5cm/5"6 first time losing weight never cared about ti before because I could keep up with skinny bastards being the ex Rugby prop I am)
A slight tendonitis issue screwed me over for August and I wasn't matched in July while I had a common cold which wouldn't go away for a month.

I am hoping for October/November at the latest for this damn fight and for my BJJ to get better to decide whether to switch over to MMA next year or to give up on MMA/Kickboxing as a hobby.

I think guys are criticising her so harshly cause they judge her as if she were a man. Like comparing her striking to guys like Mighty Mouse who would obviously KO her in the first.

Guys she is not a man, judge her as a woman. She is fucking brilliant and entertaining. She is an elite striker and mma fighter, I'm a fan

Pretty much every single thing possible is wrong with the opening post, yet it has 26 likes. Have not really seen the TS much since then, either.
The dumbest shit I post gets the most likes here. If I say anything intelligent, maybe one person likes it. But if I post some clichéd, sexist remark like, a woman's place is in the kitchen, I get blown up with likes. That should tell you all you need to know. And it's a fun experiment you can do yourself.

It works against soccer moms and crossfitters, it has to be elite in WMMA.

The opinion of 4 of the leading striking analysts in MMA today:

Fightland striking analyst Jack Slack has written "She's being likened to Chuck Liddell, and that is a pretty solid way to describe her...while she has an undoubtedly better technical striking game than Liddell".[65]

BloodyElbow.com striking analyst Connor Ruebusch has written "Distance, angles, and damage. These are the key ingredients of successful takedown defense, and the elements that make Joanna Jędrzejczyk and José Aldo such masterful strikers"[45]

The Washington Post striking analyst Patrick Wyman has written "Sound fundamentals fuel the best fighters in the world, and nobody has better mastered the bread and butter of footwork and distance management than Aldo and Jedrzejczyk".[66]

Foxsports.com striking analyst Jason Parillo has stated "Joanna's MMA boxing is remarkable. It's second to none".[67]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanna_Jędrzejczyk

Yes it is. Her power is overrated though. People act like she's a heavy hitter but she's really not.

Does anyone seriously?

I mean some *pop* in her shots when she's starting to really thrown is the only visibly lacking thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back