Joanna Jed's striking is not elite. Stop repeating it like its true.

Alexa Grasso

tumblr_nkhzadcDa61u2ragso3_250.gif

tumblr_nkhzadcDa61u2ragso1_250.gif

tumblr_ng6agwPUvA1u2ragso2_250.gif

tumblr_oar1wbWrzW1ry1rm7o1_400.gif
Maybe. I think she deserves to be in the UFC.

If you do something better than everyone else in your field then you are elite. By womens striking standards she is elite.

All the rest of these chicks need to be more sloppy too, if it leads to undefeated records and championships

For you to make that argument, you need to come up with a decent list of WMMA fighters that have better striking.

I do agree about not making comparisons between female and male sports.
I don't know much about wmma since I don't really care but from I understood Shevchenko did beat Johanna a few times in muay thai fights

"highly inaccurate"

53% against Gadelha, a fight where she threw 350 strikes, 49% against Valerie where she threw 450, 61% against Penne where she threw 250. This is accuracy of the highest order.

Here's the thing. When we are comparing both males and females in the statement that proposes "Joanna has better striker than many males in the UFC", that is an absolute no. She is not an elite striker at all.

When we are only comparing her against the rest of the female division, she again is not "elite" in terms of technique and skills. It is her cardio that is "elite". Her striking is still on a fundamental level, just very wanting. If she pulled that crap in a boxing gym, that would be 1000 "thank-you-coach" push-ups for her everytime she tries that crap on the heavybag.
This isn't boxing, buddeh. Different sport, different technique requirements. If a boxer comes to an MMA gym and uses traditional boxing technique, he gets his leg kicked off and gets slammed on his head.

I agree that her actually striking technique isn't the best we've seen, but it's certainly very good. And combined with great cardio and great determination, if makes her the best striker in her division. I don't see how there's an argument to the contrary. I'm not even a JJ fan.

"highly inaccurate"

53% against Gadelha, a fight where she threw 350 strikes, 49% against Valerie where she threw 450, 61% against Penne where she threw 250. This is accuracy of the highest order.

The biggest fault in her striking is her lack of power but she makes up for is with a jab, cardio, and volume.

What's more embarrassing is people who say she got better striking than most of the male fighters in the UFC.

This is not true on a physical level for sure. But this is not true on a technical level either.

Her punches are floppy fish punches. Highly inaccurate, and she gets countered a lot. Her only saving grace is her cardio. It's like saying Cain Velasquez is a better striker than JDS. That is simply not true. He simply outwrestles and outcardio JDS.

Joanna simply out-wills her opponent. But her striking is very wanting. She doesn't know how to sit on her punches. Her accuracy is truly one of the worst. She is like a sloppy pitter patter version of the Diaz, except the Diaz actually have technique, she is simply throwing punches out there with no sense of timing, or range, and she even gets really lazy with the technique too. Any AVERAGE boxer would simply down block her limp-wristed punch and counter straight to to the chin. That's it.

Why should we accept your opinion above MMA striking experts?

~

" If you put her fluidity, shot selection, and variety into any fighter, of any sex and any weight, in all but a few cases you would improve them enormously. Indeed, every man in the game should be studying her set ups and recoveries from strikes, she's textbook."

JOANNA CHAMPION'S STRIKING CLINIC
Fightland Blog
By Jack Slack
http://fightland.vice.com/blog/joanna-champions-striking-clinic

~

"Joanna Jedrzejczyk isn’t just the best striker at women’s strawweight–she’s one of the best strikers in MMA, period. Her dynamic style, more akin to Dutch/European kickboxing than true Muay Thai, is marked by slick, fundamentally sound footwork, and an increasingly well-crafted arsenal of punches, elbows, and kicks."

Shevckenko and Holm are the only two you can rate as better pure strikers than Joana. Cyborg maybe better than her just because of her power. I really don't see an argument for her not being elite when she is the number 3/4 female striker in the sport.

If you're only talking about pure striking, then Germaine de Randamie deserves a mention

The level of striking overall in MMA is bad, and that's for male and female fighters. A champion in the UFC would get whitewashed by a journeyman level boxer.

The biggest fault in her striking is her lack of power but she makes up for is with a jab, cardio, and volume.

lack of power can be easily explained by the fact that she's 115 pounds. How many 125 pound men have big power? I can think of, like, 3. Beyond that, Joanna clearly looks for volume and landing over haymakers. Nobody can throw 350 haymakers in a fight, but she can throw 350 straights

Her punches leave a lot to be desired; she punches air a lot, especially early in the fight. It's her kicks and clinch work that makes her tops.
Sounds like you're describing Holly Holm if anything. Minus the clinch bit.

If you're only talking about pure striking, then Germaine de Randamie deserves a mention

I completely forgot about her. Hell that still puts her in the top 5 if she is at at the bottom of the spectrum.

The level of striking overall in MMA is bad, and that's for male and female fighters. A champion in the UFC would get whitewashed by a journeyman level boxer.
And a journeyman level boxer would get whitewashed by most MMA fighters. The two sports are not the same thing and people need to stop comparing them.

I think she is. I know nothing about striking, but I'm a big long-time fight fan and I've got to call it like I see it. Her striking looks pretty fuckin good to me. She hasn't been a star for long, but we've seen her fight for over 100 minutes in the UFC alone.

I suppose experienced strikers can spot possible technical flaws in her punches, but nobody can deny that she's an elite striker. Every fighter has weaknesses. Diaz is weak, Wanderlei is sloppy, Crocop is predictable, etc. All are excellent strikers.

Her biggest strength is her speed. You can focus on her inaccurate strikes and even criticize her power- or even praise her cardio- but when you put it all together, it's deadly. Have we been watching the same 6 fights? No doubt about it, she is the best striker in the division.

When she is throws 12 strikes, some (maybe most) miss or lack power, but she fires them off within 3 seconds. It's overwhelming to many fighters. After it happens so many times, you have to stop attributing it to anything other than JJ's striking game.

I love watching Joanna, only thing with her is I think she makes it look like she's doing a lot more than she actually is some of the time. She will throw like 8 punches in a row but they are a flurry that she is pulling back on pretty much right as the punch makes any contact, I know speed is her thing but i'd like to see her sit down on her punches a bit more.

For me this is especially true in the later rounds where she's already got her opponents winded and dazed. Instead of throwing those quick flurries with nothing on them I'd like to see her really land some heavy shots.

LoL Joanna got dropped within seconds against Claudia, a BJJ blackbelt.

So what? Kevin randleman knocked out mirko cro cop? That doesnt mean mirko sucks at striking does it?

And a journeyman level boxer would get whitewashed by most MMA fighters. The two sports are not the same thing and people need to stop comparing them.
But you can't integrate MMA into boxing like you can boxing for MMA, there's no need for a journeyman level boxer to know any other martial arts.

Back