Jamie Varner open to fighting Ben Henderson, eyes 4 fights in 2013

markg171

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Despite being teammates, and having already fought once before, Jamie Varner is looking for a title shot in 2013:

"You're going to see me get three wins and hopefully a title shot." Varner said of his plans for 2013 in an interview with Studio MMA at the 2012 World MMA Awards in Las Vegas. "I'm going to be fighting for a belt in 2013."

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/1/12/3869374/jamie-varner-ufc-title-shot-2013-benson-henderson-mma

Even if he doesn't get a title shot, I like his attitude to fight whoever you have to to be champ, even if it's your teammate, as well as his plan to fight 4 times in 2013

Also, since when the fuck is Varner's nickname "The Worm"? What kind of nickname is that? :eek:

Cerrone will kick the shit out of him before he gets there.

he's still 2-3 wins away from a title shot. He was on a short road to retirement before the Barboza upset.

he's still 2-3 wins away from a title shot. He was on a short road to retirement before the Barboza upset.

Did you forget his loss to Lauzon? He is more than 2-3 fights away.. Especially in such a stacked division.

I like his attitude of fighting often, I wish more fighters had his attitude.

I honestly can't see him ever getting a title shot in the UFC tbh. Not hating on Varner, I like the guy...it's just my personal opinion.

If he wins three straight in 2013, including a top 5 victory, he'll get it, but I doubt it will be within this calender year.

i like Varner but i cant see him getting a title shot - too many fighters in front of him at the moment, not to mention Gil and Eddie

Also, since when the fuck is Varner's nickname "The Worm"? What kind of nickname is that? :eek:

bx4jr.jpg

the Worm.. I think that's what they were calling him back in like 2005. He would do the Worm after winning a fight. He subbed a guy in UFC long time ago and did this ridiculous fucking dance afterwards. Definitely didn't endear him with anyone.

I also heard his nickname in WEC was C4 (Like the explosive)... also cheese. But maybe because I prefer Paul Daley's moniker more.

I honestly can't see him ever getting a title shot in the UFC tbh. Not hating on Varner, I like the guy...it's just my personal opinion.

Meh, he could very well have gone 3-0 this year. He was winning against Lauzon till he slowed down and then in a frantic scramble got caught in a triangle. I don't really hold the Lauzon loss against him much. It was a great fight, he was winning, he dropped Lauzon 2-3 times, and more importantly he stepped in on 2 weeks notice for the fight so he didn't get to train for it. Lauzon's a dangerous fighter to fight if you're not prepared for his pace and aggression so it's no surprise that Varner slowed down and ultimately got caught. I'd love to see them fight again, I think a prepared Varner takes it 7/10 times. He's also said he wants to erase that loss with a rematch in April on Fox so why not let them settle it out and see what happens?

Also he said he wants to get 3 wins before a title shot. That would put him at 5-1 in the UFC and on a 4 fight win streak, so why not? He's arguably top 10, or at the very least top 15. Worse people have got title shots than someone who's on a 4 fight win streak

Hope he can pull it off, with the recent injury plague it's not easy task to accomplish that.

Did you forget his loss to Lauzon? He is more than 2-3 fights away.. Especially in such a stacked division.

Yeah, but didn't he take the Lauzon fight on super-short notice? Tough to factor that variable in.

Glad to see that Varner has matured in more ways that I thought. Varner used to be the man with a million excuses. The drama queen. I saw a little of it come out after the Louzan fight when I saw him holding his hand like it was broken, but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. I have come to like the guy, and it seems he has really matured and taking it serious. I would like to see him and Cerrone go at it again. Those two guys had some true bad blood a few years ago. Im glad I didnt get the pleasure to see the worm.

Love or hate him, Varner is one of those fighters you want to see scrap.

the Worm.. I think that's what they were calling him back in like 2005. He would do the Worm after winning a fight. He subbed a guy in UFC long time ago and did this ridiculous fucking dance afterwards. Definitely didn't endear him with anyone.

I also heard his nickname in WEC was C4 (Like the explosive)... also cheese. But maybe because I prefer Paul Daley's moniker more.

Ya I remember in the WEC they would call C4 or something explosive like that, I'd just never heard The Worm before. Kinda prefer him as C4 or with no nickname... he's got one of those last names that work by themselves (like Aldo, Diaz, Lesnar, etc)

Meh, he could very well have gone 3-0 this year. He was winning against Lauzon till he slowed down and then in a frantic scramble got caught in a triangle. I don't really hold the Lauzon loss against him much. It was a great fight, he was winning, he dropped Lauzon 2-3 times, and more importantly he stepped in on 2 weeks notice for the fight so he didn't get to train for it. Lauzon's a dangerous fighter to fight if you're not prepared for his pace and aggression so it's no surprise that Varner slowed down. I'd love to see them fight again, I think a prepared Varner takes it 7/10 times. He's also said he wants to erase that loss with a rematch in April on Fox so why not let them settle it out and see what happens?

Also he said he wants to get 3 wins before a title shot. That would put him at 5-1 in the UFC and on a 4 fight win streak, so why not? He's arguably top 10, or at the very least top 15. Worse people have got title shots than someone who's on a 4 fight win streak

Even if he won the Lauzon fight, I honestly can't see him getting a title shot. I like the dude, but I think he's super overrated personally. I def don't see him being top 10 or top 15. Probably top 20, but that's it. I can't see him getting through the elite of the division.

Varner has matured a lot.....In WEC he was the biggest fukin' whiner ever...I kinda like him now & hope he can get a shot!

Back