Jamie Varner open to fighting Ben Henderson, eyes 4 fights in 2013

Cerrone will kick the shit out of him before he gets there.

They're 1-1. I think Cerrone has improved more, but who says they have to fight? Title shots are all a matter of timing. It could just be that Varner has enough wins and Cerrone either just lost or is suspended due to injury or something. People leapfrog each other all the time when it comes to title shots

Hope he can pull it off, with the recent injury plague it's not easy task to accomplish that.

Actually it's probably easier for him as he's been the one stepping in on short notice for all these fights :D

Imo Varner is one of the best lw in the world he's just mentally weak. He was winning against Bendo before the sub he's 1-1 with Cowboy which if they fight again could go any way imho would lose to Pettis tho

bx4jr.jpg

Stay classy varner

They're 1-1. I think Cerrone has improved more, but who says they have to fight? Title shots are all a matter of timing. It could just be that Varner has enough wins and Cerrone either just lost or is suspended due to injury or something. People leapfrog each other all the time when it comes to title shots

The reason I mention them fighting is because I think it will happen. I think people would want to see it.

The reason I mention them fighting is because I think it will happen. I think people would want to see it.

Oh I'd love to watch them go for a 3rd time. They had legit bad blood back in the WEC and their series isn't finished yet and they're exciting fighters. What more could a person ask for?

Oh I'd love to watch them go for a 3rd time. They had legit bad blood back in the WEC and their series isn't finished yet and they're exciting fighters. What more could a person ask for?

I concur with this. But we'll have to see how Varner and Cerrone's next fight or two go. Looks like Varner's head is back in the game though. He's solid.

Even if he won the Lauzon fight, I honestly can't see him getting a title shot. I like the dude, but I think he's super overrated personally. I def don't see him being top 10 or top 15. Probably top 20, but that's it. I can't see him getting through the elite of the division.

SCYTHE, dude, he just dusted Guillard, who was once one win away from a title shot before Lauzon derailed him. At least Varner lasted until round 3, not to mention on short notice. I'm not close to being a Varner hugger, but just sayin. Guy deserves better than 15-20 consideration.

Everyone should aim high. I happen to think a title shot in 2012 for Varner is unrealistic, but in a world where Sonnen gets a shot at LHW anything can happen.

Varner on a good day is a top 5 LW and can beat anybody in the division. He's just not very consistent.

SCYTHE, dude, he just dusted Guillard, who was once one win away from a title shot before Lauzon derailed him. At least Varner lasted until round 3, not to mention on short notice. I'm not close to being a Varner hugger, but just sayin. Guy deserves better than 15-20 consideration.

Guillard was the most overrated LW of all time. Beating him does not make you a top 10 fighter or get you into consideration for a title shot.

IMO.

Guillard was the most overrated LW of all time. Beating him does not make you a top 10 fighter or get you into consideration for a title shot.

IMO.

But who would you have ahead of him? You might not think he's worthy of it, but if there's no one else he gets the spot by default. I'd have:

1. Henderson
2. Gray
3. Melendez
4. Diaz
5. Cerrone
6. Miller
7. Pettis
8. Chandler
9. Alvarez
10. Lauzon/Varner

But who would you have ahead of him? You might not think he's worthy of it, but if there's no one else he gets the spot by default. I'd have:

1. Henderson
2. Gray
3. Melendez
4. Diaz
5. Cerrone
6. Miller
7. Pettis
8. Chandler
9. Alvarez
10. Lauzon/Varner

Off the top of my head.

In no particular order...

1. Bendo
2. Gil
3. Pettis
4. Cerrone
5. Alverez
6. Chandler
7. Miller
8. Maynard
9. Diaz
10. Lauzon
11. Dos Anjos

Are all def. ahead of him IMO and I could continue, but I'm too lazy.

Imo Varner is one of the best lw in the world he's just mentally weak. He was winning against Bendo before the sub he's 1-1 with Cowboy which if they fight again could go any way imho would lose to Pettis tho

Yup, he was winning that fight. He has all the physical tools to be champ.

He's open to fighting the champ?

Wow, how bold.

I wonder if a lot of people have forgot that Varner and Benson have fought before, and it ended with the line, "I came to box, he came to grapple"... you know after a mostly stand-up fight when Benson tapped him with a guillotine from upright. The crowd didn't like that one lol.. even though it was just a candid statement of his gameplan.. it just came out wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed Varner since his resurgence and he really has seemed cooler-headed. I just didn't like him back then and I hope he doesn't return to the old ways. He didn't complain at all when Joe tapped him. Might be because he knows that fight was a win in a loss.

Back