Jake Shields will probably be cut...

This.

I couldn't understand why people believed that Tyrone won that fight. He had his back pressed up against the fence the entire time and got outlanded by Jakes volume striking. It doesen't matter if Tyrone looks athletic and probably has more KO power. He didn't do shit in that fight and that's why he lost.

agreed. Shields clearly won the fight via Intelligence. He outpointed Woodley. Woodley just stood there and didnt do jack shit. Dana is just mad because the more marketable fighter lost.

Oh christ. That just dawned on me. They might cancel each others ground game out and we see....

K1 Maia vs K1 Shields

*shudder*

Haha, Maia does actually throw some power though, it just isn't pretty.

Maia chokes his ass out, Shields deserves to be cut given what happened to Okami and Fitch before him.

I don't particularly care for Shields, but if the guy finishes Maia and a couple more, I might not think he's as boring as he has been.

Woodley should be cut with a loss as well.

Jake Shields should be cut. They didn't get much of a return on that investment.

Wouldn't it be completely conceivable if after being cut Jake gets completely blasted as Burkman did to Fitch. I would not be surprised in the least....

btw, your Pavement av is the best. Love it!

I hope Maia puts him to sleep.

The idea that Shields is likely to get cut if he loses to Maia has already been established many times.

Dana thinks woodley really won that fight? Aside from a spinning back fist shields walked threw he did nothing.

agreed. Shields clearly won the fight via Intelligence. He outpointed Woodley. Woodley just stood there and didnt do jack shit. Dana is just mad because the more marketable fighter lost.

Some people also act like clinch grappling isn't hard at all, you just hug your opponent and push him up against the cage, no technique or anything like that involved.

The reality is that it's techniqal as fuck and the clinch also is a part of wrestling. When Jake realised that he couldn't take Woodley down, he won the fight by out wrestling him in the clinch. That's good fight IQ. He found a way to win even when he couldn't get the fight to the ground and do what he does best.

Dana is pretty bad at scoring sometimes. Shields out struck Woodley. MT clinic. :icon_lol:

I found it hilarious how people claimed Shields was the boring fighter in threads back then.

Woodley gets called "Wanna Cuddle?" for a reason. The guy is borderline boxing hugging in some of his fights. Terrible staller.

Agreed. People thought he was exciting because of his first UFC fight but Woodley has been in some awful to watch fights. He's much more boring than Shields.

This.

I couldn't understand why people believed that Tyrone won that fight. He had his back pressed up against the fence the entire time and got outlanded by Jakes volume striking. It doesen't matter if Tyrone looks athletic and probably has more KO power. He didn't do shit in that fight and that's why he lost.

Yes. Shields had the more effective striking. Fightmetric has Shields landing slightly more signifigant strikes in the first two rounds and nearly twice as many total strikes. He had the more effective grappling in the clinch, was the aggressor, and had octogon control. Really easy fight to score. Defending TD's doesn't score you anything and I guess a lot of people don't know that/care.

Last edited:
No Shields would be cut because he hasn't looked good at all since coming to the UFC. Its a business guys.

He's a great fighter with some of the best jitz in the entire WW division. His cardio is always great

Jake's cardio is always great? He was sucking wind before the end of the first round vs Kampmann in a fight he was winning.

If shields goes out there and fights hard, his job should be safe. i really think he will suprise in his fight against Maia. We will see.

Jake is a great fighter. He is a good test for anyone wanting to reach the top 5, IMO. His ground game is so good it makes people afraid to take chances with him on the feet.

I never thought he was boring, he just brings a different skill set to the UFC.

Jake's cardio is always great? He was sucking wind before the end of the first round vs Kampmann in a fight he was winning.

UFC debut + A hard weight cut.

But yeah, you're right. His cardio wasn't great in that fight, but that's the only one.

His only legit loss is to GSP. How is that bad?

He hasn't looked good in a single fight. He barely got by Kampman, he got KO'd by Ellenberger, and had stinkers vs Akiyama and Woodley...and this is coming from a Shields fan.

Same with a lot of fighters in their first UFC fight (i.e. Cormier) or first in a while (i.e. Mayhem). Fighters have adrenaline dumps. I don't think it shows poor cardio...just nerves.

Back