Jake Shields will probably be cut...

No Shields would be cut because he hasn't looked good at all since coming to the UFC. Its a business guys.

He still worked his way to a title shot and is also the only fighter to win a round vs GSP since Koscheck won a round vs GSP in 2007 - and actually he won 2 rounds vs GSP.

Jake will not blow most fans away athletically or even skillwise, but he's always been very good at finding ways to get his hand raised against good opposition. He's just deceptively very good.

hopefully yes...

no need for the guy to keep ruining cards with his fights.

there are plenty of places he can go to fight

Same with a lot of fighters in their first UFC fight (i.e. Cormier) or first in a while (i.e. Mayhem). Fighters have adrenaline dumps. I don't think it shows poor cardio...just nerves.

I think in that fight it was actually the weight cut. He had been at MW for a while and was moving back down to WW and he said he had a bad cut. His cardio at WW against Akiyama and Woodley looked better.

Big fan of Jake but dude got blasted against the Burger.

Yeah, that was a great KO for The Juggernaut, but due to the the circumstances (his father passing away just days before the fight) I just don't see it as "the real" Jake fighting Burger. Still a great win for Juggerburger and i'm not taking anything away from him. Sorry if i seemed ignorant.

jake shields is the same type of fighter that Okami is. not exactly but very similar
1.) can't strike
2.) likes to grapple fuck
3.) not exciting fighter
4.) making decent money while not being a draw for fans .

Good -- Force Shields to fight like he's got an invincible layer of impenetrability around him

He's beaten Dan Henderson, Martin Kampmann, Tyron Woodley, Mayhem Miller, Carlos Condit and Yushin Okami. He submitted Robbie Lawler, Paul Daley and Mike Pyle.

No padding in his resume for the last 5+ years, and he's only lost twice in a decade, to Jake Ellenbeger - immediately after his fathers death - and Georges St. Pierre, who he took rounds from. He owns a great many marquee wins over guys that mattered then and now. Owns medals from ADCC and the Pan Ams.

You may not like his style, and you may even think some of those decisions went his way... but its statistically impossible to accidentally accrue all of those wins against that caliber of opposition.

Among his peer group he has one of the best resumes in the history of the sport.

I really hope that Maia vs Shields becomes a ground war. That would be so good.

He's beaten Dan Henderson, Martin Kampmann, Tyron Woodley, Mayhem Miller, Carlos Condit and Yushin Okami. He submitted Robbie Lawler, Paul Daley and Mike Pyle.

No padding in his resume for the last 5+ years, and he's only lost twice in a decade, to Jake Ellenbeger - immediately after his fathers death - and Georges St. Pierre, who he took rounds from. He owns a great many marquee wins over guys that mattered then and now. Owns medals from ADCC and the Pan Ams.

You may not like his style, and you may even think some of those decisions went his way... but its statistically impossible to accidentally accrue all of those wins against that caliber of opposition.

Among his peer group he has one of the best resumes in the history of the sport.

Winning the ROTR WW Tournament is even more impressive now when you look back at the guys competing in that tournament.

He still worked his way to a title shot and is also the only fighter to win a round vs GSP since Koscheck won a round vs GSP in 2007 - and actually he won 2 rounds vs GSP.

Jake will not blow most fans away athletically or even skillwise, but he's always been very good at finding ways to get his hand raised against good opposition. He's just deceptively very good.

He took rounds because he poked GSP in the eye until he couldn't see out if it.

Jake Shields has fans?

Worst striking in MMA. I hope he gets cut.

He took rounds because he poked GSP in the eye until he couldn't see out if it.

That doesn't really refute my point. Actually, it affirms it. The point is despite not being explosive or technically brilliant for the most part, he finds ways to be effective inside the cage. I'm not really one who cares how someone wins, just that they do win. He didn't win vs GSP obviously, but at least he took rounds. The ref is there to manage infractions, if he doesn't see it or doesn't care, then I don't care either. And I say the same even when the fighters that I like lose.

sooo much butthurt from dana. shields CLEARLY outstruck that guy, LOL

Jake was taking the fight to GSP in rounds 4 and 5, when he figured out GSP hits like a girl. Henderson nailed him much harder and Jake showed huge heart in coming back for the win.
I like Maia too though, gave Weiland all he could handle. Good fight but Dana wouldn't mind cutting either of them because most UFC fans are drunks who like brawlers.

sooo much butthurt from dana. shields CLEARLY outstruck that guy, LOL

He outstruck Woodley with strikes from the clinch mostly that contained the power of that of a 5 year old.

I do give Shields credit for being able to fool the judges into thinking that he was doing something, but I believe he lost every round on my card and I was actually pulling for him in that fight.

Shields fans cling on to the 1 potential round that Jake won against GSP and pretend that GSP wasn't fighting with 1 eye for most of the fight. The way you guys should be looking at it is Shields couldn't even outstrike a 1 eyed person.

Cut shields ASAP, it's not like anyone will ever buy a PPV cause of his name, we all know his fans don't have any money. 0 explosiveness, terrible striking, uses drugs, boring to watch fight and to listen to in interviews. The guy doesn't have anything going for him at this point, he had his chance.

Back