Media Izzy Adesanya Sparring Rumble

when people say they're not impressed by Israel

I always laugh and cringe

Sparring Rumble without headgear shows some giant gonads.

Izzy was brought in to replicate Jones.. makes no sense
?

what a stupid comment

Israel does everything that Jon does on the feet except better

and he has a very similar body type, height and reach.

He's literally the guy you would want to replicate Jones on the feet.

?

what a stupid comment

Israel does everything that Jon does on the feet except better

and he has a very similar body type, height and reach.

He's literally the guy you would want to replicate Jones on the feet.
Oh, he's much better than Jones on the feet. He does things Jon can't do.

Thats the way sparring sessions should be imo.

Both guys throwing at 25 - 30%, not trying to take each others heads off. Thats how careers/lives get shortened.

They're throwing to me more like 50%, but obviously they are trying to spar cleanly and these are 16oz gloves.

Agree with you that people tend to spar too hard too much. It's stupid and results in too much wear and tear.

Still crazy that he fought at 170...

rumble.jpg
It took him years to gain that mass, but it's still shocking to see him so thin. Overeem is that same if you see him when he was young it's crazy.
alistair_overeem_timeline.jpg

Yeah but who benefits more from a light/medium spar? The more technically fluid fighter is going to benefit more... less KO chance makes the fight less volatile and winning on points easier. The lighter guy who can keep pepping away scoring points using his speed is going to benefit more, while the power puncher is going to suffer because he can't play to his strengths. Rumble's game is exploding at 100% and knocking you the fuck out.

that's why it's sparring. you're not supposed to be trying to win, you're trying to learn.

Rumble benefits more because like you just said, Adesanya is allowed to use a lot of his game in the session. Rumble is getting the benefit of seeing everything he has to offer for free, and he gets to size up someone who is of similar build and reach as his opponent.

Adesanya is benefiting from not getting absolutely killed by one of Rumble's punches, so he can see how a slugger might approach him in the octagon.

there was plenty of times in that sparring clip where Rumble had the chance to hit Adesanya bad and he didn't.

Yeah but who benefits more from a light/medium spar? The more technically fluid fighter is going to benefit more... less KO chance makes the fight less volatile and winning on points easier. The lighter guy who can keep pepping away scoring points using his speed is going to benefit more, while the power puncher is going to suffer because he can't play to his strengths. Rumble's game is exploding at 100% and knocking you the fuck out.

Its opponent-specific pre fight sparring, you buffoon, jesus.

when people say they're not impressed by Israel

I always laugh and cringe

Why? I was very underwhelmed by his performance against Anderson.

Bisping did better against a younger Anderson, and bisping was hardly the gold standard of impressive fighters.

Why? I was very underwhelmed by his performance against Anderson.

Bisping did better against a younger Anderson, and bisping was hardly the gold standard of impressive fighters.
You should probably pay attention to all of his fights including those In glory / his kickboxing career.

Not just one, particularly one that was nothing more than a glorified sparring match against an aged legend.

You should probably pay attention to all of his fights including those In glory / his kickboxing career.

Not just one, particularly one that was nothing more than a glorified sparring match against an aged legend.

Fair enough, I will. Cheers.

They're throwing to me more like 50%, but obviously they are trying to spar cleanly and these are 16oz gloves.

Agree with you that people tend to spar too hard too much. It's stupid and results in too much wear and tear.

The sparring percentage measure is a bit of a false comparison.

People hear "50 percent sparring" and they imagine a normal sparring session, except every strike lands with half as much power.

But its not like that. Speed and power are related, you cant just dial down the impact of your punches without distorting timing windows and counter punch opportunities.

Sparring at 50 percent means you dont take crisp counter opportunities you otherwise might. It takes a lot of intelligent management, as well as trust and communication between partners to create a beneficial sparring session

that's why it's sparring. you're not supposed to be trying to win, you're trying to learn.

Rumble benefits more because like you just said, Adesanya is allowed to use a lot of his game in the session. Rumble is getting the benefit of seeing everything he has to offer for free, and he gets to size up someone who is of similar build and reach as his opponent.

Adesanya is benefiting from not getting absolutely killed by one of Rumble's punches, so he can see how a slugger might approach him in the octagon.

there was plenty of times in that sparring clip where Rumble had the chance to hit Adesanya bad and he didn't.

Agreed. I used the word benefit in terms of who would fair/look better under those conditions, not the benefit of learning.

Sparring long sons of bitches is the worst. They can just pitter patter and you have to look like the try hard when getting inside, making it progressively turn into a fight

idk im having flashbacks
I always liked it, lol. Bully your way inside like Tyson, back them into the corner and then dummy them with combos to the body and then head. Take out the body and the head goes with it, lol.

It is definitely my least favorite body type to deal with.

Makes you work so damn hard to get anything done.

Big fucking bastards... I have t-rex arms too, so I get it double bad

Sherk?

Back